Sox on Plan D in CF

southsider2k5

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sign Frank Thomas to play CF and bat leadoff. I don't like any of the 3 out there. Wise started off hot for the Sox last year but by September he only batted .206 in 21 games, which basically is regular play. In almost 600 career at bats, Anderson has a .221 average and only a .277 OBP. I don't want to see him bat lead off with an OBP like that. Anderson is the best defensively of the three which gives him a stronger shot in my opinion. Owens wasn't terrible when he batted leadoff in '07, but like the other two, he wasn't impressive either.

Owens has the best speed.

Andeson has the best defense.

Wise has the best offense.

None give us the option we'd like to have in CF and batting leadoff.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 06:41 PM)
Sign Frank Thomas to play CF and bat leadoff. I don't like any of the 3 out there. Wise started off hot for the Sox last year but by September he only batted .206 in 21 games, which basically is regular play. In almost 600 career at bats, Anderson has a .221 average and only a .277 OBP. I don't want to see him bat lead off with an OBP like that. Anderson is the best defensively of the three which gives him a stronger shot in my opinion. Owens wasn't terrible when he batted leadoff in '07, but like the other two, he wasn't impressive either.

Owens has the best speed.

Andeson has the best defense.

Wise has the best offense.

None give us the option we'd like to have in CF and batting leadoff.

I don't think that's really been proven yet.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
KW should be talking to Frank Wren from the Braves right now.

They have 3 candidates for the CF job, and Gregor Blanco is a guy who could leadoff for the Sox for the next 5 seasons, and he's shown he can get on base at the major league level in his rookie season.

That's why I've been tooting Josh Anderson's horn. That kinda sounds dirty :P

Anyone know if Durham's knees are better? He played a game there in San Fran, and the A's did have internal discussions about putting him their after the trade. He wouldn't be the best option, wouldn't be the worst either. Given his age, i'd still rather have BA out there.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
Anyone know if Durham's knees are better? He played a game there in San Fran, and the A's did have internal discussions about putting him their after the trade. He wouldn't be the best option, wouldn't be the worst either. Given his age, i'd still rather have BA out there.

That is a stretch. Bigtime.

I highly doubt that Durham would be receptive to that idea

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
Not that spring training stats should be given the amount of weight that they are getting in this race, but saying that Dewayne Wise has better spring numbers is questionable at best:

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_s...amp;compare.y=1

Just another example of lazy writing by one of the biggest hacks in this city. It's like he doesn't take his job seriously.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 08:45 AM)
That's why I've been tooting Josh Anderson's horn. That kinda sounds dirty :P

Not a bad idea. The media types keep talking about the most nonsensical of all scenarios, namely GMJ and Juan Pierre. There's not a chance of that happening. Mike Cameron was also rumored to be on the block, but again, too much money, even though he'd be a great option as a CF.

Realistically, if we're talking about players with low salaries who may be available and wouldn't cost us Gordon Beckham, the list probably goes something like this:

Atlanta: Josh Anderson, Gregor Blanco

St. Louis: Rick Ankiel, Skip Schumaker

Boston: Mark Kotsay when he's eligible to be traded, ditto Rocco Baldelli

Cincinnati: Chris Dickerson, Willy Taveras when he's eligible to be moved

Texas: Marlon Byrd, David Murphy (don't like him), Andruw Jones, Greg Golson, and Julio Borbon in my and probably Ozzie's dreams too

Astros: Michael Bourne (apparently can't hit much, but fast and a plus defender)

Tampa Bay: Please don't mention that guy (and I'm obviously not talking about Upton or Crawford here)

Yankees: Melky Cabrera

Angels: Reggie Willits

Royals: Coco Crisp, David DeJesus

Oakland: Ryan Sweeney once again, Chris Denorfia

Giants: Fred Lewis

Pirates: Nate MacLouth (signed an extension, but McCutchen is close)

I'm drawing a blank, maybe there are others though. Some of these guys would cost a pretty penny, but I think they could all be had without giving up Beckham or Viciedo. Many of these guys would cost us a top prospect though, and most of them wouldn't be worth their asking price IMO. Not sure if Texas would even part with Borbon, but they've got Engel Beltre who they appear to love, but he's probably a year away at least, most likely 2+. The issue becomes, do you give up the talent necessary in an attempt to fill the position for a couple years at least, or do you go with a cheaper stopgap option and try to not give much up in the process?

There is also Randy Winn who could play CF and be a nice option at leadoff, but he is making $8.25M this year. Now if the Sox had the relief depth to cover for Dotel, I'd definitely do a MacDougal + Dotel ($8.75M) for Winn or Dotel ($6M) for Winn and cash deal, but I doubt the Sox could cover a loss to the pen that big.

The Sox should have known from the get-go that both Wise and Owens suck and Anderson is not exactly a fantastic hitter. Why they waited this long is anyone's guess.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
Just another example of lazy writing by one of the biggest hacks in this city. It's like he doesn't take his job seriously.

I think Cowley takes his job seriously.

The problem IMO is the Sun Times sports editorial approach... to create controversy.

Sure it draws readers, but I'm sick of every sports story in Chicago going the Oliver Stone style conspiracy route.

I know Swish was brutal last year but considering the other options we are left with,it was a mistake to get rid of him,I believe he would've had a good comeback year for us...he couldn't be worse than what he did last year...

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
I think Cowley takes his job seriously.

The problem IMO is the Sun Times sports editorial approach... to create controversy.

Sure it draws readers, but I'm sick of every sports story in Chicago going the Oliver Stone style conspiracy route.

There are other issues with Cowley as well...

1. Cowley isn't particularly good at... writing.

2. The Sox as an organization are very secretive, which makes it hard on ANY beat writer to get good info

3. Cowley has burned too many bridges with the Sox, so what little access he may have had, is not there anymore.

4. Cowley overuses sarcasm in the extreme.

He's just a terrible beat writer all around.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
I know Swish was brutal last year but considering the other options we are left with,it was a mistake to get rid of him,I believe he would've had a good comeback year for us...he couldn't be worse than what he did last year...

I'm on board with Dick Allen in saying that Swisher's contract, which once looked like a bargain, got a hell of a lot uglier after the season he had last year. Add to it that the Sox may not have had the money to sign Viciedo without dealing Swisher and that the Sox got decent value for him, and it made sense to go with in house options. I honestly wouldn't be surprised in the least if Anderson is a more valuable player (and he could be far more valuable) than Swisher this season.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)

Look, at the Swisher trade as less of a trade and as more of divorce between Swish and Ozzie. Then it makes more sense. I still don’t like it though.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
KW should be talking to Frank Wren from the Braves right now.

They have 3 candidates for the CF job, and Gregor Blanco is a guy who could leadoff for the Sox for the next 5 seasons, and he's shown he can get on base at the major league level in his rookie season.

I second the notion for Gregor Blanco, glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks he'd suit the White Sox needs.

When I saw the thread title, at first I thought that Tim Burton was doing a remake of Plan 9 from Outer Space (the legendary worst movie ever made in the history of cinema, by Ed Wood) but had changed the name to the even scarier "Option D in CF."

KW knew what he was dealing with going into this season...nothing has changed one iota, with the possible change being Lillibridge and Ramirez moving back there with Beckham's continued progress.

Still, I would rather take my chances with Viciedo the next four years...and it's telling that the Yankees aren't even thinking of starting Swisher in CF, and that option was never on the table according to Cashman from the time of the trade. In fact, they would start Cabrera over Swisher in center, although it would appear that Melky might end up re-establishing SOME value in the minors this year and maybe he tears it up again when/if Gardner struggles.

We passed on Taveras, an oft-debated move. Supposedly, we passed on Dickerson and Denorfia in the past...as recently as the Dye for Bailey rumors, but I'm not sure what we can believe there.

Ankiel might make the most sense...we'd have to put together a deal centered around pitching I think...Poreda/Richard/Marquez and one of our #10-20 prospects. Then again, defensively, we'd have a huge mess on our hands, worse than right now even when Wise and Owens man the position. Of course Ankiel has the arm strength, well maybe optimistically it would be a Nick Swisher/Griffey situation out there.

Not sure what Edmonds' plans are.

Crisp and DeJesus aren't going anywhere soon, and certainly not to a divisional rival. Marlon Byrd is tempting too, but can he replicate what he did last year?

Blanco would perhaps most fit what KW and Ozzie are looking for, then it comes down to price, as mentioned.

Cabrera would be worth a gamble, not so costly right now...but there's also no guarantee of success offensively, and he's definitely not a leadoff hitter based on last season, either.

McCutcheon and McLouth are out of the question in terms of having to give up too much talent.

Fred Lewis or Willits would be my last options of those listed. I just don't think KW is ready to take an untested kid like Josh Anderson and throw him out there into the AL Central pennant race...they had their chance to look at him more closely when they were debating the prospects coming back in return for Vazquez, so it might be possible they could rekindle the sparks for another deal, although who we'd give up or be willing to give up is another question entirely. You'd like to say Brandon Allen or Shelby, but neither one alone would get it done, and Allen is LH (a weakness in our system) and the heir apparent to Konerko in two seasons if Flowers isn't moved from catcher or Viciedo to 1B instead of LF/RF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 07:34 AM)
It'll be Jerry Owens hopefully.

If the White Sox are serious about finding a CF/Leadoff hitter, then not having David Cook lead off in Charlotte would be a mistake. Owens has already bottomed out in AAA, so Cook deserves a shot as a leadoff hitter in Charlotte. It seems obvious now to me that Jerry Owens peaked in AA in 2005. David Cook is a great situational hitter and has incredible plate discipline. Isn't that what you want in a leadoff hitter? Or do you want Owens popping up to the third basemen in foul territory 4 times a game in Chicago or Charlotte?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
If the White Sox are serious about finding a CF/Leadoff hitter, then not having David Cook lead off in Charlotte would be a mistake. Owens has already bottomed out in AAA, so Cook deserves a shot as a leadoff hitter in Charlotte. It seems obvious now to me that Jerry Owens peaked in AA in 2005. David Cook is a great situational hitter and has incredible plate discipline. Isn't that what you want in a leadoff hitter? Or do you want Owens popping up to the third basemen in foul territory 4 times a game in Chicago or Charlotte?

I have tried to think of the reasons why a guy with Cook's numbers the last few years wouldn't at least get a look and an ST invite, given the problem in CF. Its not age (alone), he's younger than Owens and Wise. Its obviously not performance.

That leaves these candidates, as far as I can tell:

1. He pissed someone off (or more than one someone)

2. The organization soured on him some time ago and simply isn't willing to be open to guys figuring it out later

3. There is something mechanical or otherwise the Sox have seen in him that they feel means he won't succeed

4. The organization has decided that they HAVE to have a speedy leadoff guy in CF

I can think of no other reasonably possible scenarios. I'm guessing its a combo of 2 and 4.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
I have tried to think of the reasons why a guy with Cook's numbers the last few years wouldn't at least get a look and an ST invite, given the problem in CF. Its not age (alone), he's younger than Owens and Wise. Its obviously not performance.

That leaves these candidates, as far as I can tell:

1. He pissed someone off (or more than one someone)

2. The organization soured on him some time ago and simply isn't willing to be open to guys figuring it out later

3. There is something mechanical or otherwise the Sox have seen in him that they feel means he won't succeed

4. The organization has decided that they HAVE to have a speedy leadoff guy in CF

I can think of no other reasonably possible scenarios. I'm guessing its a combo of 2 and 4.

I think it's just 4. Because he has great character and is all business on the field, so 1 is off the table. It would be irresponsible to have the mindset of 2. I never saw anything that lead me to believe it's 3 because the guy is an all around great ballplayer. He hustles in the OF, and his approach at the plate fits the situation. It's either 4, or they're just being stubborn and won't except that Anderson and Owens aren't the answer. Or, they're being snobs and won't give a guy like Cook the chance. I've seen that attitude about Cook from people on this very forum, so I can only imagine the attitude about him from the likes of KW or Ozzie.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)

^^^^^^ I agree.