Is Curt Schilling a hall of famer?

WhiteSoxfan1986

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
That makes zero sense, they may have relatively comparable career records, but Schilling's career ERA is over half a run lower.

And Schilling spent the majority of his career in the NL. Wells spent the majority pitching to DH's. I think makes at least a half of a run difference.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
Schilling and Johan are very easy to compare right now. One is 42, done with baseball, and he had a very accomplished career that spanned 20 years, 13 of which were very good, and 9 of those where he was outstanding. Johan has been one of the best pitchers in the league for 7 years, but that's it. That's nothing against Johan, and he could very well end up in the Hall, but he doesn't have the longevity nor the postseason dominance that Schilling does.

Schilling also finished 2nd in Cy Young balloting three times, and it wasn't as if he wasn't a worthy candidate. In his two top 2 finishes in Arizona, Randy Johnson was freakishly good, and when he finished 2nd with Boston, Johan had a freakishly good year too. I personally don't think you can hold the Cy Young argument against Schilling.

I don't think he's a first ballot Hall of Famer, but 4th-6th ballot seems about right, because he was absolutely one of the best pitchers of this generation.

He was an All-Star 6 times in a 20 year career - that's very good, but not quite Hall of Fame worthy. The guys who beat him for the Cy Young in the years he finished second, Randy Johnson, and Johan Santana (if he keeps it up) are headed for the Hall. I simply don't think Schilling is the same class of player as a Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryan, or a Bob Gibson. That's how good you need to be, and Schilling just isn't, in my eyes. I think we agree to disagree on this one.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
You would put Johan Santana in front of Curt Schilling? Nothing against Santana, because he's been a dynamite pitcher, but he's been a front of the rotation starter for 6 years and only a full-time starting pitcher for 5 years. How does that even get close to comparing to 15 years of excellent starting pitching? Beyond that, even if there are 5 pitchers better (I'd question if Mussina was better...they appear quite similar to me at the very least, and Schilling was absolutely dominant in the postseason), why should that stop Schilling from getting in? Being one of the 10 best pitchers of his generation still puts him in probably the top 3% of the pitchers of this generation, and you would have to be in the top 2% to get in? I don't think so.

Jack Morris was a rubber-armed horse who was just slightly above average in his career and is an overrated, but good, postseason pitcher. In 1984 with the Tigers, he was lights out. In 1987 with the Tigers, he got one start against the Twins and got lit the f*** up. In 1991, he was decent in the ALCS against Toronto, he was decent, but he had one of the most memorable World Series performances of any pitcher in history; and he got absolutely torn apart in 1992 as part of Toronto's rotation. In all, he had 2 good postseasons and 2 terrible postseasons.

Curt Schilling was a far more dominant postseason pitcher than Jack Morris, compiling a 2.23 ERA in 19 career postseason starts (he went 11-2). Curt Schilling was a far superior pitcher to Jack Morris.

I cannot believe you of all people forgot his 4.380 strike out to walk ratio... good for #1 in the modern era.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
I cannot believe you of all people forgot his 4.380 strike out to walk ratio... good for #1 in the modern era.

I think that's actually the best ever, not just this ear. That's just a ridiculous ratio, even a 3:1 ratio means you're probably one of the top pitchers in the league.

I've hated that jagoff with a passion ever since the bulls*** he pulled in the '93 Series, putting the towel over his head for the cameras and refusing to even watch let alone root for his teammates. Imo, he's a border line case who will ultimately get in, and despite my hatred, I won't have a cow when he does. I do think he's more deserving than Bly, Morris, Wells, and Mussina and I'd want him over them if I needed a sure win. Sorry, though, there's no way he's one of the all time greats. No way.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
just so it's known, I'm only saying he's a Hall of Famer for his on-field performance. I think the dude's a complete douchebag and I still think that the bloody sock thing was a bit of a hoax.

Co-sign

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
I think that's actually the best ever, not just this ear. That's just a ridiculous ratio, even a 3:1 ratio means you're probably one of the top pitchers in the league.

No it's not.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bondto01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/SOpBB_career.shtml

I agree with everyone here that Schilling was a dick but if you needed one game to win,you can't name too many other pitchers in the last 20 years you'd rather have than Schilling...the guy was a fierce competitor and lights out come crunch time,HOFer for me.

All-Time K-To-BB Ratio

1. Tommy Bond 4.440 (879 to 198)

2. Curt Schilling 4.380 (3116 to 711)

3. Pedro Martinez 4.140 (3117 to 752)

4. Ben Sheets 3.850 (1206 to 313)

5. Mariano Rivera 3.830 (934 to 244)

The K-to-BB goat if not for some dude that pitched in the 1870s.

He also has the 13th best K/9IP ratio (8.60) in the history of baseball, and he averaged a 1.09 WHIP ratio from 1992 to 2004 (ages 25 to 37).

Point blank, if you don't have him in the hall of fame, then you don't know your baseball too well IMO.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 07:29 AM)
Off the top of my head, there are too many other pitchers from this era that were better than him so I gotta say no. Maybe down the road.

Please name all of these pitchers off the top of your head.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 07:36 AM)
Please name all of these pitchers off the top of your head.

Off the top of my head I'll give you:

Pedro Martinez

Randy Johnson

Greg Maddux

John Smoltz

Tom Glavine

Roger Clemens

and personally I like Mike Mussina over Schilling too