New Marlins Stadium Approved

HuskyCaucasian

MLB.com-

Hanley Ramirez says he loves Miami, and now that the Marlins have the security of a new stadium on the horizon, it increases the chances of the All-Star shortstop remaining with the organization for years to come.

The Marlins on Monday received franchise stability after Miami-Dade County commissioners passed final documents to construct a 37,000-seat retractable-roof park on the Orange Bowl grounds in Miami. Groundbreaking is expected in July, and the building is scheduled to open in 2012.

YES!

Now the Hurricanes only have 2 more years of playing a couple of games a year on a dirt infield.

Talk about putting the stadium in a s***ty location. Best part of Little Havana is the food vendors on the streets.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
What's wrong with Miami Marlins? I think it sounds better.

No offense to zen, but its hard to pull for teams with that name. Its not anything on the teams, its just my extreme dislike of the city.

This seems like a mistake of epic proportions to me.

A team that consistently gets the smallest crowds in baseball by a long shot, and in this economy, you are going to put Miami-Dade into hundreds of millions of dollars in new debt? When that city claims it can't pay for things like schools and roads? That's where they want to spend money - on a franchise that as a business is a failure?

If I were a voter down there, I would be livid. This is just an epic fail. After a couple honeymoon years, they'll be empty again anyway.

I love baseball, but I think its been shown clearly that the Miami-Dade area can't support a baseball team right now.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
The new stadium needs to be in a well-populated, retail centric place like Petco Field. Otherwise, it's doomed to fail like the last one.

Which one is that? They have only played in Pro player/Joe Robbie stadium, that place has been around forever. The only reason it is a failure is because it isnt a baseball stadium, it is a converted football stadium

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)
How is averaging 2000 people per game not a failure? Dolphin Stadium is in a suburban area, with a surrounding population that is uninterested in baseball. The next one needs to be in a more active part of the state.

Yeah but you say "doomed to fail like the last one" as if the Marlins had any choice of where to play. Pro Player was supposed to be a stopgap, and then nobody wanted to fund a stadium. They have no where to go but up from this point. The failure was not being able to secure a stadium deal since the Marlins became a team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
This seems like a mistake of epic proportions to me.

A team that consistently gets the smallest crowds in baseball by a long shot, and in this economy, you are going to put Miami-Dade into hundreds of millions of dollars in new debt? When that city claims it can't pay for things like schools and roads? That's where they want to spend money - on a franchise that as a business is a failure?

If I were a voter down there, I would be livid. This is just an epic fail. After a couple honeymoon years, they'll be empty again anyway.

I love baseball, but I think its been shown clearly that the Miami-Dade area can't support a baseball team right now.

I agree with everything you said, including the fact I'd be livid as a voter down there, until the bolded. First off, Dolphins Stadium is a dump and horrible for baseball. Second of all, it's in an awful neighborhood. Little Havana isn't exactly a great area, but I would argue that the area surrounding Dolphins Stadium (once you get past the parking lots and highways) is definitely worse.

Lastly is the bolded. The current stadium they play in is up near the county line with Broward, whereas the new one will be much closer to Miami itself. The people nearest the current stadium are a combination of those who can't afford to go to the games and live in bad to awful areas, and the very rich, very white people, many of whom are carpetbaggers from the northeast and midwest and thus have teams they are fans of from their old hood and don't care about the Marlins. The population nearer the new stadium is more blue collar and more hispanic, and I think more of them will attract to Marlins games.

The Marlins are never going to lead the league in attendance as fan support in Miami isn't exactly great. But I think a much nicer and newer stadium in Miami with a retractable roof (which is really important, it rains at 4 or 5 down there almost everyday during the summer and is hot and humid, not great weather to watch or play baseball in) can help the Marlins at least increase their attendance numbers to respectable averages in the long term. If I am wrong, well then they will eventually have to move, but that's a long way off now that they have their new stadium deal in place. And it's not rumor btw, it's fact they'll become the Miami Marlins when they move into this stadium (sorry chimpy.)

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
And it's not rumor btw, it's fact they'll become the Miami Marlins when they move into this stadium (sorry chimpy.)

I just read the AP article. Oh well, its not a big deal, just something trivial.

The stadium planned seems to be more for a baseball atmosphere. Where Dolphins stadium is too big and open; obviously because of the conversion from football, this one will be smaller.

A name change seems like a take on what the Rays have done, basically a "rebirth" if you will...

...Regardless if the people/voters/fans support the team, anything to ignite passion into the town for their beloved baseball team is better than doing nothing.

QUOTE (jmg84 @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 08:33 PM)
The stadium planned seems to be more for a baseball atmosphere. Where Dolphins stadium is too big and open; obviously because of the conversion from football, this one will be smaller.

A name change seems like a take on what the Rays have done, basically a "rebirth" if you will...

...Regardless if the people/voters/fans support the team, anything to ignite passion into the town for their beloved baseball team is better than doing nothing.

Not sure a franchise the has two world series championships in eleven years needs a "rebirth"

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
Not sure a franchise the has two world series championships in eleven years needs a "rebirth"

That did sound stupid after I read it to myself, not to much as a team(pertaining to WS titles) rebirth but more along the lines of a City/Fan rebirth... changing the City name to Miami perhaps might allow the team to be more intimate or cherishable to the city of Miami, hopefully to draw in a more relevant fan base than what they have now. Honestly I was just thinking of a reason they would change the team name from Florida to Miami and I just went the Devilrays/Rays route. I honestly prefer Florida over Miami, but we'll see what they plan on doing.