Sox making more cuts

southsider2k5

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....-shortstop.html

White Sox send Beckham to Double-A to play shortstop

By Mark Gonzales

PHOENIX - The White Sox optioned 2008 first-round pick Gordon Beckham to Double-A Birmingham.

"I had a lot of fun," Beckham said. "I think I've shown what I can do when I'm playing well. It was a blast."

Beckham will play shortstop for the Barrons.

The Sox's other cuts will be announced as soon as every player has been informed.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
It's a shame Lillibridge won't be among them, he's in the starting lineup today, leading off. Maybe only striking out once yesterday saved him.

Who else is in the lineup, that we know aren't being cut? Any info on scheduled pitchers?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Who else is in the lineup, that we know aren't being cut? Any info on scheduled pitchers?

Lillibridge is the only one.

Lillibridge CF

Getz 2B

Quentin LF

Dye RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Pierzynski C

Ramirez SS

Fields 3B

Colon starts. Contreras will also pitch.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
They optioned pitchers Adam Russell and Ehren Wassermann to Class AAA Charlotte and reassigned infielders Gordon Beckham, Ben Broussard and Eider Torres and left-hander Aaron Poreda to minor league camp.

That leaves 1 option left for each of those pitchers, in case anyone was curious.

Guillen would like to set the roster so he can have the team play together for a week before the season begins. Chris Getz might get a few starts at the leadoff spot in the wake of Dewayne Wise and Jerry Owens' struggles and could pave the way for Brian Anderson to receive more starts in center field.

www.chicagosports.com

I posted this in another thread. I like it. Because of Getz being left handed that means AJP wont be in the 2 hole. I expect something like this opening day:

1.Getz 2B

2. Alexei SS

3. Quentin LF

4. Thome DH

5. Dye RF

6. Konerko 1B

7. AJP C

8. Fields 3B

9. BA CF

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
If Owens gets cut, he would have to accept reassignment or become a FA, correct?

Yes, he's out of options. Wise is in the same position.

The eight on the spring roster that I don't think will be there on opening day:

Broadway, Colon, MacDougal, Egbert

Lucy, Nix, Kroeger, Owens

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
I'm excited that Beckham is going to AA, I'll manage to see him in a few games.

I don't mean to rub it in everybody's faces...well, I don't think he'll be here longer than the first half. I'd be shocked if he doesn't hit his way out of B'ham.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Yes, he's out of options. Wise is in the same position.

The eight on the spring roster that I don't think will be there on opening day:

I'd agree, except that I think MacDougal makes the club (unless someone trades for him). Carrasco goes to AAA (he has one option left).

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Yes, he's out of options. Wise is in the same position. The eight on the spring roster that I don't think will be there on opening day:

out of the eight, I think Nix ends up on the DL, so forget about him. Kroeger seems to have no chance, the same as Egbert. Dispite their stats, no one is talking about them publically from the organization.

Broadway recently got a mention as a long man, but I would imagine it depends on Colon's status. If Bartolo starts on the DL, Lance has a chance, if not, he goes to Charlotte for sure, as both Marquez and Richard are ahead of him.

Lucy I think is the third wheel right now, he should get sent down at the end of camp when the don't need a third catcher anymore.

Who knows with Mike Mac. I think they would like to get his potential out of him, but have pretty much given up on the guy. I think if he gives the Sox a reason to keep him, MM will go north.

Owens seems to be "running" himself out of a chance at Chicago.

I would say the roster is set at all but 3 spots

Locks....

Getz 2b

Ramirez SS

Quentin LF

Thome DH

Dye RF

Konerko 1b

AJ C

Fields 3b

Anderson CF

Bench: Miller, Betemit, Lillibridge (useless at the plate, has some value as D replacement and PR late in games, versatility and D i think has won him a spot on team)

Rotation: Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, Jose, Colon

Pen: Jenks, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Richard

That leaves the 4th OFer, and two pen spots (assuming we go 12 pitchers).

4th OF - Frankly, any guy that makes it (of Kroeger, Wise, Owens) I am ok with, as long as it is purely as a 4th OFer. My concern with Owens is that Ozzie would be tempted to play him in a platoon. Ditto Wise. I actually really like Kroeger here as he can provide some pop and will have better on base capability than the other two.

Bullpen: MacDougal will probably make it, which I'm fine with. I still believe in the guy if can throw strikes (a big IF). I want Marquez in AAA starting, and would rather see either Carasco or Broadway make the team. I gotta believe Egbert is headed back to AAA, but who knows. If colon starts on DL, that opens up another spot for one of those young righties, or could open a spot for Randy Williams should Clayton be pitching in the rotation.

Edited by daa84

It's interesting that we're seeing Lillibridge in the starting line-up in CF.

They should have done this about 2-3 weeks ago, though, if they were really serious. I think they just want to see how well he does out there out of curiosity, and because they know what they'll get with BA/Owens/Wise already...if he's a legitimate option to Anderson. You can't say he would be taking time from Wise or Owens, except for the fact that one of those guys has to go and Lillibridge has the most versatility (not saying he's shown anything offensively) of anyone left on the roster, along with Getz, Ramirez and Betemit.

I think MacDougal versus Carrasco and Marquez comes down to the final week. Poreda eliminated himself with those four walks yesterday, the hanging slider to Sizemore and walking the 8 and 9 guys in the line-up, among other things.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
I'd love Kroger/BA cf but they'll never option 2 guys (Wise Owens) who will be out of options

Frankly-the launching of both means quicker Jordan Danks

Jordan Danks will be in the minors for a minimum of two years. I guarantee that.

Kroeger will be one of the last cuts, and I think Owens will get the boot too.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
I don't mean to rub it in everybody's faces...well, I don't think he'll be here longer than the first half. I'd be shocked if he doesn't hit his way out of B'ham.

AAA by June probably! Majors this year? Doubtful

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
Jordan Danks will be in the minors for a minimum of two years. I guarantee that.

Kroeger will be one of the last cuts, and I think Owens will get the boot too.

Who becomes Konerko's back up? Betmit? I am not sure Kroeger plays IB, but maybe he should learn it

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
Who becomes Konerko's back up? Betmit? I am not sure Kroeger plays IB, but maybe he should learn it

He's been learning it in ST, its clear he needs work there. 1B is easier to pick up than other positions, but that doesn't mean anyone can just pick up a 1B glove and be good at it.

That said, the team already has 3 guys who play a good 1B, though one of them is kept from it to protect him from injury (Konerko, Betemit, Thome*). Plus a guy like Fields who has played the other corner for so long could probably do pretty well there in a pinch.