Sox making more cuts

southsider2k5

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Excited hes in Birmingham. Ill get to see him play a bunch in Montgomery. If anyone lives in the area let me know and i can get you some tickets to the Biscuits v. Birmingham game.

The Barons are gonna be loaded this year. They're gonna burn some Biscuits. Montgomery's in for a fight for the 1st half crown.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
The Barons are gonna be loaded this year. They're gonna burn some Biscuits. Montgomery's in for a fight for the 1st half crown.

From what ive heard around the organization... we wont be very good this year. We have some pretty good pitchers (Rollins, Helickson) but offensively we will be terrible.

You should take the trip to Montgomery to see a game some time.

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
From what ive heard around the organization... we wont be very good this year. We have some pretty good pitchers (Rollins, Helickson) but offensively we will be terrible.

You should take the trip to Montgomery to see a game some time.

Well, I was just trying to stir up the competitive juices...hey maybe Tim Beckham will be there soon. You can't be too upset considering that you've had Evan Longoria and David Price there in the past two years. I'd like to come down there sometime, but since I hardly miss a Barons home game, it would probably only be if I happened to be down there. Although, we always have a contingent of Biscuits fans at the Met when they're in town.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
Even more if it is in a slayer t-shirt.

Now that's damn near impossible. I'd have to be the one wearing it, and I'm not a fan.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
I think they have finally made the decision that Lillibridge is a better option than Wise and Owens based on his ability to play the infield and outfield. I think Kroeger or Wise makes the team until Nix is ready and then depending on how Getz is doing, Nix will get a look.

I think Lillibridge playing CF today is pretty big news to me.

What would be easier, for Becks to learn to play second, or Alexei moving back to second for Beckham at short?

I want these guys up the middle for the Sox for years to come. Or if Getz is somehow AMAZING. Alexei to CF, and Beckham/Getz up the middle...

Your Spring strikeout leaders:

B. Lillibridge: 22 K, 1 BB, 57 AB

C. Davis: 21 K, 9 BB, 58 AB

K. Blanks: 19 K, 10 BB, 59 AB

C. Rasmus: 19 K, 7 BB, 60 AB

It's going to be kind of funny when Lillibridge makes the Opening Day roster after leading the team in strikeouts (10 more that #2) and errors, drawing only 1 walk, sporting a .035 ISO and even failing to show any sort of base stealing ability (1/3 in SB). You know, you can usually find guys off the street who won't make a complete ass of themselves at the plate while playing competent defense in the middle infield. The thought of Brent Lillibridge getting 20+ starts and probably leading off some just shakes me to my core.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
I would say the roster is set at all but 3 spots

Locks....

Getz 2b

Ramirez SS

Quentin LF

Thome DH

Dye RF

Konerko 1b

AJ C

Fields 3b

Anderson CF

Bench: Miller, Betemit, Lillibridge (useless at the plate, has some value as D replacement and PR late in games, versatility and D i think has won him a spot on team)

Rotation: Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, Jose, Colon

Pen: Jenks, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Richard

That leaves the 4th OFer, and two pen spots (assuming we go 12 pitchers).

4th OF - Frankly, any guy that makes it (of Kroeger, Wise, Owens) I am ok with, as long as it is purely as a 4th OFer. My concern with Owens is that Ozzie would be tempted to play him in a platoon. Ditto Wise. I actually really like Kroeger here as he can provide some pop and will have better on base capability than the other two.

Bullpen: MacDougal will probably make it, which I'm fine with. I still believe in the guy if can throw strikes (a big IF). I want Marquez in AAA starting, and would rather see either Carasco or Broadway make the team. I gotta believe Egbert is headed back to AAA, but who knows. If colon starts on DL, that opens up another spot for one of those young righties, or could open a spot for Randy Williams should Clayton be pitching in the rotation.

If Anderson is the everyday guy in CF with Lillibridge as the backup CF then it would be great to see Kroeger make the team. I doubt that happens though. Options left probably doesn't have anything to do with it because what team is going to give up a 25-man spot to Wise or Owens anyway? They'd just clear waivers and head down to Charlotte, if one or both of them are not released. I just don't think Ozzie is going to head into the season without a fast guy in CF. I think it'll be a Wise-Anderson platoon in CF unfortunately.

I agree on Marquez. I haven't seen much of him, but I haven't seen anything that says he could stick as a short reliever and come out of the pen sporadically. Johnny Nunez is probably better for that role IMO if we're talking about inexperienced relievers, but he's already been reassigned. MacDougal and Carrasco should both make it, and I agree that if Colon does start the season on the DL that will mean a spot for Randy Williams.

The Sox have 38 players on the 40-man now. One of Wise/Owens isn't going to make it and will be removed from the roster, dropping it to 37. Corky Miller will take one spot, MacDougal probably another. Colon, even if he does go down briefly, isn't going to be on the 60-day DL so there will still be only one usable spot left even if he is down. Williams probably takes that if Colon goes down, and if not, they have an extra spot to work with should they need to bring someone else in.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 08:03 AM)
I look at the likely situation of Lillibridge staying on and take comfort only in the fact that we have a stable manager/gm regime that has been time tested and has made me eat my words of prior situations like this

Timo Perez? Darin Erstad? In situations like this, I really don't know if KW and Ozzie have a real good track record.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
Timo Perez? Darin Erstad? In situations like this, I really don't know if KW and Ozzie have a real good track record.

You read my mind, I was about to post both names. If you're looking to make yourself sick just go ahead and read some of this. It really takes you back. It's the middle of May 2007, Darin Erstad is hitting .259/.304/.347/.651 and the White Sox brass has nothing but good things to say about him, he injures himself at the end of May (hitting .264/.311/.341/.652 at the time) and from the way people talked about him you'd think the Sox had lost their best player (I think Phil Rogers actually called him one of the bright spots of the season). Sickening.