Southside Irish Parade

Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
South Side Irish St. Patrick's Parade ending

March 25, 2009 12:00 PM | No Comments

Organizers of the South Side Irish St. Patrick's Day Parade on Western Avenue said today they would no longer hold the event "in its present form."

I wonder what other forms parades come in.

I grew up in Beverly, and most of my family is still there. My brother lives on 101st and Oakley and his house is ground zero for the parade before- and after parties. The last few years, everybody has been amazed the plug hasn't already been pulled. A half-million people and no public bathrooms, lots of underage intoxication and all of the liability associated with it, most of the attendees driving in from the north side, and using the neighborhood as a urinal. . . etc, etc.

Maybe the event just got too big for its own good. Sad to see it go, but I can understand it.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
I grew up in Beverly, and most of my family is still there. My brother lives on 101st and Oakley and his house is ground zero for the parade before- and after parties. The last few years, everybody has been amazed the plug hasn't already been pulled. A half-million people and no public bathrooms, lots of underage intoxication and all of the liability associated with it, most of the attendees driving in from the north side, and using the neighborhood as a urinal. . . etc, etc.

Maybe the event just got too big for its own good. Sad to see it go, but I can understand it.

I can't argue with any of this, and although I'm not Irish or from the Southside, it's still sad to see the parade go. Although lots of underage intoxication and lack of public bathrooms is a problem that many events have. :lolhitting

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
I can't argue with any of this, and although I'm not Irish or from the Southside, it's still sad to see the parade go. Although lots of underage intoxication and lack of public bathrooms is a problem that many events have. :lolhitting

In my family we call that "Christmas"

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
South Side Irish St. Patrick's Parade ending

March 25, 2009 12:00 PM | No Comments

Organizers of the South Side Irish St. Patrick's Day Parade on Western Avenue said today they would no longer hold the event "in its present form."

I wonder what other forms parades come in.

Link?

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)

It was great in its grassroots beginning, but with the buses taking transplants and tourists from lincoln park down to the parade, its become the taste of chicago in a much smaller area.

I NEVER thought this day would arrive. As someone who doesn't live in Beverly I'll admit I'm a bit upset, but I understand for everyone who lives around the area the take on the parade is different. These committee members represent people from the area, so it's not as if Daley is strong arming the community full of hated city workers to abandon their tradition.

I'm kind of torn. I've been to quite a few Southside parades and have fun everytime, but even as someone who is half-Irish I know full-well it's not the parade that has become the attraction.

I didn't go this year, but last I did and parked around 109th and Kedzie. So while we're walking to Western we pass near train tracks, as a train is approaching, and these underage idiots are attempting to climb aboard as its moving and they're obviously intoxicated. One made it, then jumped off a few hundred feet later; narrowly missing several people. After the train passed we walked through the cemetery along 111th and notice just the sheer amount of people stepping over graves, using them as beer coasters and trash cans, and no doubt irritating the people who came to see their loved ones. This is just a small example of what happens. It's not just the area around the parade route that is affected by these people, but damn near several miles in every direction.

Anyways, Tinley Park has their own Southside Irish parade. Watch this explode in popularity over the next decade. It's more accommodating for commuters (Rock Island is literally right downtown), there are reasonable places to park (shopping center including KMart/Walts/etc. along Harlem), and if the south side parade is any indication it'll be awhile before the neighbors are fed up with everything!

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I'm glad. As I posted over at WSI, this is the right thing to do. My experience this year:

As someone who lives at the tail end, I would like to see it gone after the trend. Since I moved into the neighborhood it has become worse and worse with people reversing their 4X4 truck on my frontlawn and burning out. People blocking our driveway and people parking in our driveway. I didn't mind much because you can't expect parades to go flawless and there are people prone to doing such. This year was the last straw though. I worked on Sunday, so I had to come home and wait 20 minutes from 119th and Kedzie to 119th and Western. Then I had to take the little streets back up north in which I was greeted by traffic management telling me I couldn't enter until I yelled at them letting them know I live in the neighborhood. Apparently, they didn't stop anyone else as cars were going and coming through the street almost without hesitation.

Even that wasn't the biggest problem. Biggest problem I had was beer cans over my lawn, and two girls, yes women, probably in their mid to late 20's, pissing right next to my house. How do I know they were pissing? Because I saw leakage right before they were ready to pull up their pants. Another one pissed in between my neighbors cars in their driveway with no shame. I saw one of them through my window and she tried to get smart with me as if I should have shame for looking out my own damn window and calling her out on her pissing. She called her boyfriend, and I let the cops know. Know what they did for public urination? Let her go. The other girl got away as I was in a bath towel and wasn't about to run out naked.

If the cops didn't turn a blind eye to this, I wouldn't be opposed to such a parade, but the fact remains, as a resident, this parade has been getting way out of control for the past 8 years. First couple of years I thought it was cool and such, now, hell no.

And a lot of it is not even the teenagers. A lot is that 25-30 age demographic.

I don't think it's an issue of giving it a break. It's mainly a logistical issue of cramming 300K+ people into a parade route extending a little more than a mile, which has hardly the resources to contain it.

People are mad at this decision for all the wrong reasons. A tradition? Really, getting drunk in the daytime and pissing in the neighborhood is a tradition? The parade is a front for acting obnoxious and everyone knows it.

After all, it's one f***ing day out of the year. And there are a lot of Irish-themed events at bars all throughout the Chicagoland area around St. Patricks Day.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
I don't think it's an issue of giving it a break. It's mainly a logistical issue of cramming 300K+ people into a parade route extending a little more than a mile, which has hardly the resources to contain it.

People are mad at this decision for all the wrong reasons. A tradition? Really, getting drunk in the daytime and pissing in the neighborhood is a tradition? The parade is a front for acting obnoxious and everyone knows it.

After all, it's one f***ing day out of the year. And there are a lot of Irish-themed events at bars all throughout the Chicagoland area around St. Patricks Day.

Yep. It's pretty much unofficial at UofI, except up north. That's what it really has become. Doesn't matter if you're Irish or anything like that.

Also, the main reason it was cancelled, a permit for next year's parade was not going to get approved for next year. That was explained to the committee. The only thing they were really voting on is if they would fight this. When 11 cops get assaulted, it's going to be hard to convince someone to allow a permit and for the residents to approve more of the same the following year.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
Yep. It's pretty much unofficial at UofI, except up north. That's what it really has become. Doesn't matter if you're Irish or anything like that.

Also, the main reason it was cancelled, a permit for next year's parade was not going to get approved for next year. That was explained to the committee. The only thing they were really voting on is if they would fight this. When 11 cops get assaulted, it's going to be hard to convince someone to allow a permit and for the residents to approve more of the same the following year.

Really, I didn't know this.

What is involved with having a parade permit approved?

I can't believe believe the assault of 11 police officers means anything. First off, assaulting someone is a loose term. This could be someone just pushing you. I would bet my membership with Soxtalk that the Bud Billiken parade has far more arrests for assaults on police officers, with far fewer people overall. Why don't they cancel that?

I was willing to believe it was the people of the community making this decision, since they have everyones concerns in mind, but now that you suggest their permit was denied I'm a bit more interested in this process. I would really hope this isn't the Chicago government looking at the parade as an unnecessary cost and are looking for bulls*** reasons to cancel it.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
Really, I didn't know this.

What is involved with having a parade permit approved?

I can't believe believe the assault of 11 police officers means anything. First off, assaulting someone is a loose term. This could be someone just pushing you. I would bet my membership with Soxtalk that the Bud Billiken parade has far more arrests for assaults on police officers, with far fewer people overall. Why don't they cancel that?

I was willing to believe it was the people of the community making this decision, since they have everyones concerns in mind, but now that you suggest their permit was denied I'm a bit more interested in this process. I would really hope this isn't the Chicago government looking at the parade as an unnecessary cost and are looking for bulls*** reasons to cancel it.

It really is a combination of both. There has been a growing number of residents over the past couple of years who have wanted to cancel this thing as people as far back as 10 years saw this was getting out of control. For me, it was like 5 years ago when I see buses at 7am full of people from Lincoln Park who are already wasted.

From what someone posted at WSI, one of them involved a cop who broke up a fight with two girls where one girl spat on the cop. Another involved some drunkass punching a cop because they got his friend. With that said, the city was growing increasingly tired of complaints, and with this year being so crazy, they weren't going to approve a permit for next year. I've heard this from a couple of different places. The final hump that broke the camel's back was the committee voting against the parade for next year. The vote was something like 12-9.

I wonder if all of these relieved Beverly and Morgan Park residents understand what happens to the local businesses that rely on that parade. The area didn't want to stomach what had to be done, and that was to enforce the law. God forbid however if you happen to detain some precinct captains kid, or arrest the wrong politically connected figure.

What's funny here is, come next year, there will still be activity on Western Avenue. I'll guarantee it right now. Sure, not as many people, but who can stop everyone from just going to bars, visiting people in the neighborhood, or otherwise just hanging around the streets?

And if the parade ever does come back, it'll be even more crowded since everyone will think to themselves "this may be the last year!11"

What's tough is trying to figure out ways to resolve this problem. I doubt the city will pay more money for additional police officers. There will never be enough porter-potties, so that doesn't matter. You can't crack down on underraged drinking or public urination because of the vast amount of people who do it. This again goes back to the lack of officers and their unwillingness to enforce these laws. Neighborhood folks will have problems telling Joe Fratboy from Naperville not to piss on their lawn. He doesn't care, he's not from around the area.

I know I'd just hate to be the people on the board who voted against this. There's still a lot of people in Beverly who love the parade and probably want those members kicked out of the country.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)
I wonder if all of these relieved Beverly and Morgan Park residents understand what happens to the local businesses that rely on that parade. The area didn't want to stomach what had to be done, and that was to enforce the law. God forbid however if you happen to detain some precinct captains kid, or arrest the wrong politically connected figure.

I'm not sure of many businesses that depend on the SSI. A lot of people end up just drinking on the route or going to garages or going to actual parties.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)
What's funny here is, come next year, there will still be activity on Western Avenue. I'll guarantee it right now. Sure, not as many people, but who can stop everyone from just going to bars, visiting people in the neighborhood, or otherwise just hanging around the streets?

And if the parade ever does come back, it'll be even more crowded since everyone will think to themselves "this may be the last year!11"

What's tough is trying to figure out ways to resolve this problem. I doubt the city will pay more money for additional police officers. There will never be enough porter-potties, so that doesn't matter. You can't crack down on underraged drinking or public urination because of the vast amount of people who do it. This again goes back to the lack of officers and their unwillingness to enforce these laws. Neighborhood folks will have problems telling Joe Fratboy from Naperville not to piss on their lawn. He doesn't care, he's not from around the area.

I know I'd just hate to be the people on the board who voted against this. There's still a lot of people in Beverly who love the parade and probably want those members kicked out of the country.

Well some people on the board are business owners and some of them voted against it I could imagine. Regardless, there was a lot more cons than pros to this area. It's what I like about this area. If someone is f***ing with our neighborhood, we're going to do our best to get that person shut down. In this case the parade and the vast amount of people not from the area or even the southside of Chicago is our target.

From all accounts, the committee is going to do something for St Patty's day, but on a much much smaller scale like a festival at the Beverly Arts Center is being discussed. The goal basically is to weed out those people from nowhere near Beverly over the course of a couple of years. Then maybe in 5-10 years, you might see a return of the parade.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the city wouldn't approve a permit to gain more interest in the parade downtown. Think about it. They put a lot of money into it, but get nothing out of it. More people talked about the Southside Irish parade than the downtown parade which is a shock.

As a resident, I'm glad they canceled the parade. I know a lot of neighbors who feel the same.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 09:27 PM)
Well some people on the board are business owners and some of them voted against it I could imagine. Regardless, there was a lot more cons than pros to this area. It's what I like about this area. If someone is f***ing with our neighborhood, we're going to do our best to get that person shut down. In this case the parade and the vast amount of people not from the area or even the southside of Chicago is our target.

From all accounts, the committee is going to do something for St Patty's day, but on a much much smaller scale like a festival at the Beverly Arts Center is being discussed. The goal basically is to weed out those people from nowhere near Beverly over the course of a couple of years. Then maybe in 5-10 years, you might see a return of the parade.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the city wouldn't approve a permit to gain more interest in the parade downtown. Think about it. They put a lot of money into it, but get nothing out of it. More people talked about the Southside Irish parade than the downtown parade which is a shock.

As a resident, I'm glad they canceled the parade. I know a lot of neighbors who feel the same.

It's understandable they'd be interested in pursuing a small scale event. The parade has been a travesty for atleast the last decade. People throw around this ideas of "tradition" and "honoring" the Irish, but we all know damn well there parade is the backdrop to the event. The Beverly Arts Center should actually have booths set up discussing who St. Patrick was, why anyone gives a s***, and perhaps throw in other items relating to the culture.

Everyone is just upset their party is ruined. One damn day out of the year. Everyone still has the Gaelic Park Fest, Tinley Park parade, Irishfest in Milwaukee, unofficial at EIU/UofI, the parade along Madison St. in Forest Park, the downtown parade, and whatever other events local bars are sponsoring. Plenty of opportunities to act belligerent.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
I'm not sure of many businesses that depend on the SSI. A lot of people end up just drinking on the route or going to garages or going to actual parties.

The bars absolutely depend on it, and they all obviously make a killing that day. I'd suspect they were/will be the most vocal businesses against the deciesion. They'll just have to get creative and figure out ways to hold their own self-contained events during St. Patrick's week/month from now on.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)
The Beverly Arts Center should actually have booths set up discussing who St. Patrick was, why anyone gives a s***, and perhaps throw in other items relating to the culture.

Well, then everybody will learn that St. Patrick wasn't even Irish, there never were any darn sankes, etc., etc., and it'll be such a downer for the part-time Irish that nobody will be able to stomach a green Natty Light ever again. :P

There will still be something going on next year in that area. The good thing is that there wont be buses and buses of kids from Wrigleyville and LP jumping on a bus at 8am alreayd wasted going to tear up "that south side area" for a few hours. The people that have been going down there the last several years are out of town transplants with zero respect for the area, the tradition and themselves.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
the parade along Madison St. in Forest Park

This is still largely people from that area though which is nice. Plus the people who grew up and live there all know each other and basically police it themselves.