Southside Irish Parade

Dick Allen

Evergreen Park's mayor is throwing around the idea of hosting the Southside Irish Parade next year.

It'd be interesting on a lot of levels, since their police department (~60) would obviously need outside help, and additionally, I guarantee the neighborhood wouldn't be nearly as passive about people pissing and throwing trashing all over. And from what I heard on the news, through the reporter, the mayor won't be taking any flack from people using the parade as a frat party. I, for one, support it. If Beverly isn't going to allow one, what's to stop someone else from taking over the reigns?

There's also practically no bars on the stretch of road they plan on having the parade, so it limits the drunks exiting and entering near the parade route.

It'll be an interesting discussion, if nothing else.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 12:44 AM)
Forest Park is the new southside parade, mark it down. CLose to the city, tons of bars.

Where is Forest Park, anyway?

I rather have it in Evergreen Park cause I know the area very well and relatives lived there all my life. :-p

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)
Evergreen Park's mayor is throwing around the idea of hosting the Southside Irish Parade next year.

It'd be interesting on a lot of levels, since their police department (~60) would obviously need outside help, and additionally, I guarantee the neighborhood wouldn't be nearly as passive about people pissing and throwing trashing all over. And from what I heard on the news, through the reporter, the mayor won't be taking any flack from people using the parade as a frat party. I, for one, support it. If Beverly isn't going to allow one, what's to stop someone else from taking over the reigns?

There's also practically no bars on the stretch of road they plan on having the parade, so it limits the drunks exiting and entering near the parade route.

It'll be an interesting discussion, if nothing else.

They do a 4th of July parade every year and it turns out nice from all accounts. I don't think they understand that this is however a different beast. With that said, I hope if they do it, it turns out much better than it has here.

From what I've heard the mayor state, he said they've been getting mixed reviews early on and stated it basically has to be unanimous for him to okay the parade or he just won't do it.

Oak Park and River Forest are both very close to Forest Park, so I can see the confusion. You're probably thinking of River Forest, which is only a couple of miles from Madison Ave. and had an average household income of nearly 90k according to the 2000 census (though Oak Park is closer to 60k, there is some spill-over).

Edited by ZoomSlowik