• I'll take Melky
    • Doesn't matter who, we need a CF at any cost
    • Neither

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
I'm thinking the Yankees would ask for something ridiculous like Poreda in return.

If the Angels picked up like 80-90% of what's owed to Matthews for the remainder of that horrible deal, absolutely.

Melky would never move then. Not that it matters much to the Yankees, just saying. Melky's pretty mediocre overall and he was absolutely awful last year. If he can be had for cheap, it's one thing, but otherwise, the Sox may as well stick with Anderson in CF.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
I could have SWORN Melky Cabrera got traded to the Brewers or somebody like that. Am I out of my mind? Was it another Yankee?

don't think so. it definitely wasn't melky. maybe you're thinking about the proposed mike cameron to the yankees trade??

No way we take on GMJ. no f'ing way. he is signed through 2011. even if we were paying 3 million of the 33 million he is still owed, thats rediculous. melky can be had for cheaper salary and if he fails you can cut bait and not owe money for 3 more years.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 09:28 PM)
Almost, deal fell through.

Anyone know how Melky's D is? How's his arm?

One of the best arms you'll ever see in CF. However, he's pretty overrated offensively, and will likely require Poreda or more.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
Almost, deal fell through.

Anyone know how Melky's D is? How's his arm?

He's a pretty excellent defender, good range and a strong arm. I'd say comparable to Anderson. Offensive ceiling is questioned though (not as bad as Anderson).

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
One of the best arms you'll ever see in CF. However, he's pretty overrated offensively, and will likely require Poreda or more.

Only overrated by Yankees fans, but I think they've since given that up as of about 2007.

Well, you have to consider that GMJ is in a much more crowded situation than Melky. Melky's a bad month by Brett Gardner away from reclaiming CF with the Yankees. He might actually cost the White Sox more in talent. What if the Angels paid half and the White Sox took on the other half? Say the Angels pay him for this year and half of 2010? That way the White Sox don't have to take the hit this year, see the results of 2009, then decide on the futures of Thome, Konerko & Dye by possibly clearing their salaries. And, if he struggles in 2010, they can drop him and only have to pay him for 2011. But, since it's a possible deal with the Angels, it won't happen more than likely.

ummmm, the article says the White Sox don't have any interest in Matthews....

Angels outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. could be another possibility for the White Sox, but a source with direct knowledge of the team's thinking refuted a previous item, saying that the club was not interested in acquiring him.

ummmm, the article says the White Sox don't have any interest in Matthews....

Just logged in to post that.

Either poor/fast reading, or someone is looking for more hits. Given that the same thread starter was speculating a move around 3:00 PM after the 2:30 press conference based on info at 2:15PM, well, I'll let people draw their own conclusions.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
I'd go with Brian Anderson.

OK. You beat me too it. I like BA also and I said neithr Melky or Gary interest me only becasue I think we should give our own the chance first. Melky though would be a beter choice than Matthews, who I tjhink flubed big time after being signed to lots of money by LAA.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
no spank you to either of them.

ill take anyone besides what we have lol i dont really see the yanks trading melky though. hes batting .322 with a .388 obp right now too. like someone said,theyll want poreda or something

Just so people know; Gary Matthews Jr. is 34 years old (he'll be 35 in August), has put up a .247/.321/.391/.712 line since leaving Arlington and is no longer an elite defender. (it's debatable that he ever was)

And I changed the thread title.