Gary Mathews Jr. and Melky Cabrera  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want either of them?

• I'll take GMJ if the Angels eat a lot of his contract
    • I'll take GMJ even if we have to eat a lot of his contract
    • I'll take Melky
    • Doesn't matter who, we need a CF at any cost
    • Neither

Rosenthal also says the White Sox have expressed some interest in a deal to acquire Gary Matthews Jr., assuming the Angels pay "the vast majority of the $33MM remaining on the final three years of his contract."

From MLBTR. Sorry, I didn't read the actual article.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny, the Yankees really seem to have no love for Melky Cabrera because they're always dangling him, yet they seem to think everyone else considers him a god. Thus they never actually trade him because they ask the universe for him. I think the Yankees are a really bass-ackwards organization about a lot of things and they mask it with $$$ (as they should, since they can't build an organization the regular way and the rules allow them to do it this way).

I know I'm the first person to EVER say this about the Yankees. I just think this is a really good example of their other ineptitudes.

looking at melky's numbers over the last 3 seasons (2006, 2007, 2008, 2005 was a 6-game season for him, doesn't count), .329 OBP (has declined every year since 2006), .374 SLG (.703 OPS), hitting .267

I seriously believe BA could more/less mirror those numbers (maybe raise the SLG, lower AVG)

yeah i went there

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 07:31 PM)
It's funny, the Yankees really seem to have no love for Melky Cabrera because they're always dangling him, yet they seem to think everyone else considers him a god. Thus they never actually trade him because they ask the universe for him. I think the Yankees are a really bass-ackwards organization about a lot of things and they mask it with $$$ (as they should, since they can't build an organization the regular way and the rules allow them to do it this way).

I know I'm the first person to EVER say this about the Yankees. I just think this is a really good example of their other ineptitudes.

The Yankees do this over-inflation crap every couple years. Anyone remember Bubba Crosby?

This goes way way back.

Brien Taylor...Hensley Bam Bam Meulens...Kevin Maas...Shane Spencer.

What the Yankees have done (like KW) is picked the homegrown players (Cano, Soriano, Rivera, Bernie Williams, Joba, Pettitte, Posada, Jeter, etc.) that would pan out and tried to maximize the return/value for those that were not part of their long-term plans.

I think that right now would be a great time to buy low on Cabrera. He's only 24 so I doubt that he's peaked career wise. I think that we could dangle someone like Brent Morel to get Melky. We have too many 3B right now anyways with Morel, Fields, Viciedo, and another guy who's name escapes me right now. Not to mention Betemit, the Yanks certainly could use some backup for A-Rod

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 11:54 PM)
I think that right now would be a great time to buy low on Cabrera. He's only 24 so I doubt that he's peaked career wise. I think that we could dangle someone like Brent Morel to get Melky. We have too many 3B right now anyways with Morel, Fields, Viciedo, and another guy who's name escapes me right now. Not to mention Betemit, the Yanks certainly could use some backup for A-Rod

The question has never been about whether the Sox should buy low on Cabrera - I think that's a resounding yes from pretty much everybody. The question has always been whether New York would sell low on Cabrera, and seeing as how he's 24, I doubt it.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 05:54 AM)

Wasn't Morel drafted this year? He can't be traded yet.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)
Wasn't Morel drafted this year? He can't be traded yet.

The Yankees would just trade us Melky for a "Player to be named later" and then whenever June rolls around whatever day he signed on we can then give him to the Yanks.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 12:41 AM)
I'll throw something out there, just seeing if it sticks.

A ton has changed since the Swisher deal was completed. CF for the Sox somehow looks even worse than it did before, and the Yanks suddenly need a 3rd basemen to fill in for a month.

I don't know if Betemit fell out of favor in NY, or there just wasn't a spot for him, would a Betemit for Melky swap be totally out of the question?

(I'm not saying I would like it, just trying to play match maker.)

First off the yankees are not willing to give up much, money wise, or talent wise, for just a little over a month (if it's even that long). There line-up is potent enough without rodriquez. As long as they have someone that can catch the ball over at third, while rodriguez is recovering, that will be all they are looking for, anything else is a bonus. Betemit far from fits the bill.

There is just no room for betemit over there. There barely was last year and this year even less. The addition of both swisher and teixeira would put him third on the depth chart defensively, which just so happens to be where the vast majority of his playing time came from. Yankees fans best described betemit as standing still while he was moving (defensively) which practically all of his defensive metrics would agree with.

The yankees also put betemit on the dl only 11 days into last season with conjunctivitis AKA pink eye, something fishy there. Pink eye clears up in the matter of days (usually as little as 24 hours after medicated drops are taken kids are allowed back to school with a doctors note).

Yankees fans have soured on melky for quite a while now. As previously stated by someone else, the yankees orginization has been high on cabrera due to them wanting to get more in return than he is actually worth, which is typical yankees fashion.

Btw, melky is out of options.

i don't get where people think the Yankees will get a prospect like Poreda or Allen for Melky. Those are the type of prospects that get you use to get high value players in return. Cabrera is going to be a backup CF in New York. Sure they can ask for the likes of Poreda but there's no way any team is going to give high level prospects for Cabrera.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 02:26 AM)
i don't get where people think the Yankees will get a prospect like Poreda or Allen for Melky. Those are the type of prospects that get you use to get high value players in return. Cabrera is going to be a backup CF in New York. Sure they can ask for the likes of Poreda but there's no way any team is going to give high level prospects for Cabrera.

I totally agree. They can go ahead and ask for the moon but they won't get it. If they actually want to move him they're going to have to take a mid-level package or else just sit on him. A top prospect like Poreda or even Brandon Allen would be ridiculous.

Poreda is too much, sure.

But the Yankees/Cashman and every team in baseball know that we need a legitimate, everyday CFer as well as an experienced leadoff hitter.

Those don't come cheap...

I think the conversation would be centered around Clayton Richard, Allen, Shelby and Danks...one of those four guys. Allen might be a bit superfluous with the glut of 1B/DH types they have on the team now, in Swisher, Nady, TEX, etc.

The White Sox can't afford to part with Richard yet, so it would most likely be Shelby IMO.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
The question has never been about whether the Sox should buy low on Cabrera - I think that's a resounding yes from pretty much everybody. The question has always been whether New York would sell low on Cabrera...

You hit the nail right on the head. I think Melky is a prime candidate for a change of scenery and could potentially thrive here. But if the Yankees are going to ask the world for him, he can stay right where he is.

Edited by Ron

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 06:42 AM)
Poreda is too much, sure.

But the Yankees/Cashman and every team in baseball know that we need a legitimate, everyday CFer as well as an experienced leadoff hitter.

Those don't come cheap...

I think the conversation would be centered around Clayton Richard, Allen, Shelby and Danks...one of those four guys. Allen might be a bit superfluous with the glut of 1B/DH types they have on the team now, in Swisher, Nady, TEX, etc.

The White Sox can't afford to part with Richard yet, so it would most likely be Shelby IMO.

Really? The Sox could use a proven CF and leadoff hitter, surely, but I don't think there's a need, per se. It's more of a desire, or whatever word you want to use between need and luxury.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
Really? The Sox could use a proven CF and leadoff hitter, surely, but I don't think there's a need, per se. It's more of a desire, or whatever word you want to use between need and luxury.

Top Tier organizations would call it a need.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)

Well... look at Minnesota. Denard Span has had a horrendous spring.

So, it looks like they're going with Carlos Gomez (.254 BA; .298 OBP) in CF and Alexi Casilla (career .261 BA; .310 OBP) as leadoff.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 08:56 AM)

Respectfully disagree. Honestly, how many teams have a true leadoff hitter i.e. high OBP base stealing threats??? Jose Reyes, Sizemore, Victorino, Ichiro, Ellsbury, Figgins, Brian Roberts. Am I missing anyone?? The rest of the league gets by with guys who have some deficiencies in their leadoff capabilities so I'm just not too concerned going into the season with Getz or Ramirez in the 1 spot.