Wilson Betemit earning some attention?

ObamaKnowsBest

In my opinion Betemit is having arguably the best spring out of anyone on the roster. Right now he's sitting at the utility spot, but when do we make room for him in the lineup? How much time do you think we'll see him playing? Fields is having a heck of spring training and I'm all for giving him the 3B spot. Do we see if Betemit can play some 2B? I think its hard to ignore the performance he's putting together. Does this make him or one of the younger infielders trade bait now? What do you guys see in his future?

I know it's only ST but 6 HRs, 16 RBI, .341 AVG and .408 OBP is pretty darn impressive

Edited by ObamaKnowsBest

If he could play SS, he would be the perfect super-sub because he could play all over the place and get 400-450 at-bats, but he can't play SS and I worry about his D at 3rd and 2nd, too. But he will be useful as pinch hitter late in games.

Edited by maggsmaggs

If this hot streak continues it will be hard to ignore (like tcq) . Not saying he will, just saying he will with those type of numbers. Let's see where he stands on May 1st. He is just so valuable at the utility slot and will be an asset as a pinch hitter.

I feel so much better about the team with the Fields/getz/betemit situation. A very good problem to have. (hopefully it turns out to be a good problem)

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
If this hot streak continues it will be hard to ignore (like tcq) . Not saying he will, just saying he will with those type of numbers. Let's see where he stands on May 1st. He is just so valuable at the utility slot and will be an asset as a pinch hitter.

I feel so much better about the team with the Fields/getz/betemit situation. A very good problem to have. (hopefully it turns out to be a good problem)

Betemit could end up more productive than Swisher at a fraction of the price PLUS the Sox get Marquez and Nunez. KW = Outstanding GM

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)
Betemit can really help our team, as long as he never has to bat right-handed.

Left-handed? Very good.

Right-handed? Brutal.

Straightball, I hit it very much. Curveball, bat's afraid...

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
Betemit could end up more productive than Swisher at a fraction of the price PLUS the Sox get Marquez and Nunez. KW = Outstanding GM

I totally agree. And as for Betemit/Marquez/Nunez, I was way more excited about what we got back in the Swisher trade than what we got back in the Vazquez trade.

The "no-defense/all offense" option would be Betemit at SS with Alexei in CF. Of course, then you'd have to play Lillbridge against lefties, about 20-25% of the time...I guess you'd have to go with Getz/Betemit at the top of the order versus righties and Getz/Ramirez versus lefties. Or maybe it would just become obvious which one (Alexei or Betemit) was most comfortable with that spot in the line-up.

We would have plenty of offensive firepower, the only question is how many more runs that line-up could potentially cost us defensively.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)
Betemit can play short, just not very well. If we put him out their once a week, it's not going to kill us, especially if he keeps hitting.

Once a week is way too much. I understand the gist of what you are saying, but Alexei should be playing 150+ games at SS this season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 01:09 AM)
Once a week is way too much. I understand the gist of what you are saying, but Alexei should be playing 150+ games at SS this season.

Alexei wore down in September after playing 135ish games last year, he isn't going to be able to play 150+ games a season and stay productive.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 05:14 AM)
Alexei wore down in September after playing 135ish games last year, he isn't going to be able to play 150+ games a season and stay productive.

Really? He will never be able to adjust to the MLB schedule? Why is that?

I think he's going to get more used to it...his frame is very slight, so there's always this idea that a superthin or superheavy player (like Fielder of Viciedo or Frank Thomas) will wear down, but I guess the heavier players are in better shape late in the season than at the beginning, while Alisay is just skin and bones, at least that's the theory. Of course, the Cuban season is much shorter, so he wasn't used to it, and it got Iguchi a little bit too....the dog days of summer.

QUOTE (ObamaKnowsBest @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
So is it safe to assume that these numbers and alll the homeruns have come as a righty?

As a lefty you mean? Yes.

Look at his career splits...

As a left-handed hitter - .269/.339/.460... a .799 OPS. Not great but okay.

As a right-handed hitter - .232/.276/.360... a .636 OPS. Yikes.

This spring? I'm not sure, but I think all of his homeruns were hit left-handed. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Bottom line... he has no business switch-hitting because he SUCKS as a right-handed hitter.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
As a lefty you mean? Yes.

Look at his career splits...

As a left-handed hitter - .269/.339/.460... a .799 OPS. Not great but okay.

As a right-handed hitter - .232/.276/.360... a .636 OPS. Yikes.

This spring? I'm not sure, but I think all of his homeruns were hit left-handed. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Bottom line... he has no business switch-hitting because he SUCKS as a right-handed hitter.

He's Jose Valentin

As a Left-handed hitter - .253/.331/.486/.817

As a right-handed hitter - .209/.283/.310/.593

Jose actually went 6-19 (.316 AVG) w/ 1 HR as a left handed hitter off left handed pitching.

Did he truly believe he could OPS any lower than .593 off lefties as a lefty? The novelty of switch hitting is a dangerous one.

Luckily 75% of pitchers throw right handed.

Totally agree with Kalapse on this one comparing him to Valentin. He will spell Fields against some tough righties..especially if Josh starts to struggle. He can spell Paulie every once and awhile, spell Alexei sometimes as well. He will also be a great threat to have on the bench late in the game when they bring in a tough righty to pinch hit. Also, if Fields totally flops he is a great insurance policy at 3rd.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
Really? He will never be able to adjust to the MLB schedule? Why is that?

Because 27 year olds that wear down in September after only 135 games (only about 120 were starts) probably aren't going to get more durable, especially when they're moving to a more demanding defensive position.

Alexei wasn't a typical rookie last year, he is in his prime right now.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
Because 27 year olds that wear down in September after only 135 games (only about 120 were starts) probably aren't going to get more durable, especially when they're moving to a more demanding defensive position.

Alexei wasn't a typical rookie last year, he is in his prime right now.

So how was Ichiro able to adjust? Or Nomo? Or college players like Texeira who pretty much played right away? or players like Pujols who jumped from college to A ball to the majors?

It is a flawed argument, Im pretty sure Alexei will be able to manage his stamina just like the rest of the league learned to do

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
So how was Ichiro able to adjust? Or Nomo? Or college players like Texeira who pretty much played right away? or players like Pujols who jumped from college to A ball to the majors?

It is a flawed argument, Im pretty sure Alexei will be able to manage his stamina just like the rest of the league learned to do

Hopefully he is stronger. He would wear down last year and be brutal for a few games, but would get a day off and be fine. I would like to see what he could do with 30 more pounds on him. He could be a 35-40 homer guy. He's still a stick and I would imagine is going to need days off, but there's no reason to believe he won't respond to those like he did last year.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)

They're different players than Alexei, they just had the durability to do it, he didn't.

Edited by Jimmywins1