Wilson Betemit earning some attention?

ObamaKnowsBest

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
Hopefully he is stronger. He would wear down last year and be brutal for a few games, but would get a day off and be fine. I would like to see what he could do with 30 more pounds on him. He could be a 35-40 homer guy. He's still a stick and I would imagine is going to need days off, but there's no reason to believe he won't respond to those like he did last year.

The story is that he was a workout warrior over the offseason to build both strength and stamina for playing SS this year.

I remember several writers commenting at the beginning of camp how surprised and impressed they were with his improved strength and conditioning.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
LOL, and how do you know this based on his 1 year in the majors?

Meant to say "didn't", but his 1 year in the majors came when his body was already filled in, expecting him to gain durability as he gets closer to thirty is just silly.

its too late to do now, but I wish the organization foresaw the CF problems in advance and looked the potential middle IF surplus, and had getz (or ramirez for that matter, which i've been clamoring about all spring) try playing CF....he's certainly fast enough to cover alot of ground out there, and a switch from the middle IF to the OF for a guy with good speed certainly isn't unprecedented (upton, biggio, alexei, hell the organization did it with shelby)....if getz has a nice year here in 2009 and KW doesn't fix CF, I wouldn't mind Getz working there next offseason and spring with beckham riding his heels...though Maybe Alexei in CF and Beckham at SS is just as good...though ultimately i think this is a band-aid type idea...but right now our CF situation could desperatley use a bandaid

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
Meant to say "didn't", but his 1 year in the majors came when his body was already filled in, expecting him to gain durability as he gets closer to thirty is just silly.

The thought that he is not able to gain stamina and durability is silly. The kid is gonna play plenty, and I think he is going to have a much more complete year.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
They're different players than Alexei, they just had the durability to do it, he didn't.

It was his first year playing anywhere close to 162 games, in a new country, in a new position. College hoop players hit "the wall" in the NBA because they're not used to the grind. Doesn't matter what age they are. Lexi will be ready this year and be fine playing 150+ games at SS. Cut the guy some slack, James.

I don't see Chris Getz being transitioned to CF.

We already know Lillibridge could end up there, because of the presence of Beckham, Betemit, Getz, Nix, etc.

I just don't see Getz having the type of range, athleticism, range and instincts to play that position. He is very challenged to play SS...he can do it adequately and better than Betemit, who has five seasons' worth of time there, but putting Getz between two slower/limited corner outfielders make about as much sense as putting Beckham at the same position. Actually, and I'm just guessing, but I think Beckham would be a better CFer than Getz.

I prefer to stick with Jordan Danks and Shelby as two of the longer-term options and just hope that we catch lightning in a bottle this year. With the offense that we SHOULD have, we can afford to have a CFer with a 700-750 OPS, but he has to be a superior defender as well. Can we really project Chris Getz to get an 800-850 OPS to make up for his projected defensive inadequacies in center?

Playing the outfield, let alone centerfield ss a complete monster on its own and would be an extremely difficult transition for one of those guys to make. Judging fly balls and having those built in insticts that an outfielder requires take a long time to learn, let alone centerfield, the captain of the outfield. A lot more than speed goes into it. Look at Anderson, he's no burner on the basepaths, but an excellent defender in center. Granted they could have this abilities and we just don't know about them, but I think the moves would have been made by this time if it was that simple.

Edited by ObamaKnowsBest

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)

I don't buy this at all, I'm about the same age as Alexei and if I wanted to build durability and stamina right now all I'd have to do is go to the gym and do some extra reps to tone my muscles. Actually I'm doing that right now and it's working. Alexei could do it too. He isn't THAT old.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)

Why? I was alot stronger and in better shape at 30 than I was at 25.

Years don't make a difference in that age range. Exercise and nutrition does.