White Sox vs Arizona 3-26 spring game

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would give Marquez back to the Yankees for Melky. I think Melky is overrated, but Marquez might be a mediocre long man some day. The big plus about getting Melky is Owens and Wise are probably both off the roster. Now if there was someone to take Lillibridge and Miller off as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
I would give Marquez back to the Yankees for Melky. I think Melky is overrated, but Marquez might be a mediocre long man some day. The big plus about getting Melky is Owens and Wise are probably both off the roster. Now if there was someone to take Lillibridge and Miller off as well.

Yankees were so down on Marquez after last season, I don't think they'd have any interest.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
It will be entertaining watching Corky look retarded at the plate facing the likes of Liriano this season.

The Corkster has 35% more K's than hits against left handed pitching in his career. He also has more double plays than doubles in his career.

One more: Against lefties, Corkaroo has reached on an error as often as he's managed an extra base hit.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)
The Corkster has 35% more K's than hits against left handed pitching in his career. He also has more double plays than doubles in his career.

One more: Against lefties, Corkaroo has reached on an error as often as he's managed an extra base hit.

You are full of neat tidbits

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)

Nix (when healthy again) and Lucy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
It will be entertaining watching Corky look retarded at the plate facing the likes of Liriano this season.

thank god santana and sabathia are out of the division

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)

I disagree, I think he will be a very serviceable middle of the rotation starter in the near future.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
You are full of neat tidbits

Of all pitchers with at least 60 IP last season Matt Thornton, tied with Jonathan Papelbon, had the 6th highest average velocity on his fastball at 95.3 MPH he trailed the leader (Jonathan Broxton) by 1 MPH. Brian Wilson, Manny DelCarmen, Jose Valverde and Brandon Morrow are the others ahead of him but only .5 MPH separated them all.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
I disagree, I think he will be a very serviceable middle of the rotation starter in the near future.
What makes you think this? I haven't seen Marquez pitch at all this spring, but the results in box scores haven't been very good at all.

QUOTE (almagest @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
What makes you think this? I haven't seen Marquez pitch at all this spring, but the results in box scores haven't been very good at all.

Based on the pitches I've seen him throw and the coaching staff we have in place. He has a nice sinker and change. His curve will occassionaly float which hurts him and left handed hitters can take him the other way with ease. He is a few small adjustments away from being a big league pitcher IMO.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
Can the Sox DH for Corky and let the pitchers hit? I'm only half joking.

Well Bartolo Colon is 10 for 85 for his career, compare that to Corky's 13 for 142 over the last 5 seasons and you may be on to something.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
Of all pitchers with at least 60 IP last season Matt Thornton, tied with Jonathan Papelbon, had the 6th highest average velocity on his fastball at 95.3 MPH he trailed the leader (Jonathan Broxton) by 1 MPH. Brian Wilson, Manny DelCarmen, Jose Valverde and Brandon Morrow are the others ahead of him but only .5 MPH separated them all.

You should do that all year.

if i had to guess the opening day roster will look like this....

AJ, Miller, Konerko, Thome, Getz, Ramirez, Betemit,, Fields, Quentin, Dye, Anderson, Wise, Lillibridge

Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, Contreras, Colon, Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel, Thornton, Richard, MacDougal, Carassco

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
Based on the pitches I've seen him throw and the coaching staff we have in place. He has a nice sinker and change. His curve will occassionaly float which hurts him and left handed hitters can take him the other way with ease. He is a few small adjustments away from being a big league pitcher IMO.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes.

He's been hurt by a couple of outings, but overall he's pitched pretty well in S/T. He's been keeping the ball down and has nice movement on his pitches. I'd really like to see him pitch in AAA this year and add a cutter.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
That's only if you choose to acknowledge his -12 OPS+ since 2004.

His 37% CS% led me to believe that he can throw a little.

He can throw, there is no doubt, he also calls a very solid game. That is the only reason he ever got a chance, was not his overwhelming offensive talent.

Supposedly he has 90 stolen bases against in the minors and threw out 53, good for 37% like you said.

In the majors he is at 33%, 38 stolen bases against to the 19 he threw out.

I wish caught stealing percentage numbers were kept track of in the minors better. I really want to know where baseball cube (boy are they unreliable many times) got corky's 43 % cs% in 2004. They credit him with 35 caught stealing in 81 attempts... get this... for the cincinnati reds. That might be possible if not for him only playing 12 games in the majors that particular season. They could have possibly meant those numbers for the minors, but he only caught 54 games that season in triple a, which would just be a god damn ridiculous rate for the staff to get run on... especially if he was throwing them out at the rate baseball cube claims.

I am just leary of any minor league cs# numbers, that is all.