For those in the know

southsider2k5

Cliff's notes version (and if you don't know that they are.. too bad :P !)

You are born with original sin. You get baptized (christened) to remove this. By doing this, as parents, you are stating that you are going to raise the baby as Catholic, or Baptist, or whatever you are. During the ceremony there are some prayers and readings. The baby gets water poured on his for head to cleanse him of his original sin. There is a candle lit to represent the Holy Spirit has been brought into his life. And the baby is anointed with oils. I don’t remember what the oils represent.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly dont think baptisms given to two year olds mean crap. You gotta decide whether you wanna be baptized. Its your decision. I havent been baptized but I will be. Im glad my parents didnt baptize me. Im not going to baptize my kids. If they wanna grow up and get baptized, they can do so. If they dont want to, thats fine too. I mean, maybe Jeffrey Dahmers parents baptized him and promised to raise him Christian, but hey, he still grew up to be a cannibalistic psycho...

I honestly dont think baptisms given to two year olds mean crap. You gotta decide whether you wanna be baptized. Its your decision. I havent been baptized but I will be. Im glad my parents didnt baptize me. Im not going to baptize my kids. If they wanna grow up and get baptized, they can do so. If they dont want to, thats fine too. I mean, maybe Jeffrey Dahmers parents baptized him and promised to raise him Christian, but hey, he still grew up to be a cannibalistic psycho...

It's thought that if you don't do it before they are 1 that if something happens their "souls" hang in "limbo" not being able to go to heaven or hell. It's all in what your parents believe. I was baptized in a Baptist church and later in life - when it was my choice - in a Catholic one. And since when does how one s parents raise them stop them from having a mental imbalance and becoming a nut case? Geez.. when you grow up you take responsibility for your own actions. Church or no church in your life.

Dissing on people for their religious beliefs.. a new low.

It's thought that if you don't do it before they are 1 that if something happens their "souls" hang in "limbo" not being able to go to heaven or hell. It's all in what your parents believe. I was baptized in a Baptist church and later in life - when it was my choice - in a Catholic one. And since when does how one s parents raise them stop them from having a mental imbalance and becoming a nut case? Geez.. when you grow up you take responsibility for your own actions. Church or no church in your life.

Dissing on people for their religious beliefs.. a new low.

But at least he didn't call someone a cocksucker

I just believe your baptism should be your choice. Its not your parents choice, its your choice. Do it how you want to do it. I wasnt baptized young and my children wont be either...

And there's nothing standing in the way of you making that choice when you are older. Many, many believe in a "higher power". So let them. Your comments were in very poor taste, IMO.

Whats higher power? And Im sorry about my comments. I just think you should make the decision to be baptized, not your parents...

I'm sure it means different things to different people. To my family it meant that if the children weren't baptized and they died their sould would have no "home" in the afterlife. A way of pretecting them until they are olf enough to make the decision on their own.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I made a comment about this before the season even started. Don't think I got even one nibble of a reply.

After the way Cam found out about his trade to Cincy.. do you think he'd want to come back here?

As for where he goes next.. I'd guess he stays put. But if he had a choice Atlanta would be ideal for him. Not cause they need a CF'er.. but cause all his family is there.

Honestly I don't know anything about how his trade went over, that is why I asked. I just know Mike's D would be a god send right now for this team.

He was sent to winter ball 4 days before his first child was due to be born - and there were complications and his fiance had been on bed rest for the last 7 weeks. He asked to delay for a week and he was told no. Two days after he was there she went into labor. He was told he could not leave. The day after his daughter was born while watching ESPN he found out about his trade on the ticker running across the bottom of the screen. When he got to Cincy he found out that the deal for Paul was in the works for "a couple weeks". There was no need for him to ever be sent to winter ball. His D would be great. But the fans of this team would murder him because of his K's.

:o Geesh. Who is the idiot in this organization who keeps doing this s***? We have a legacy of being assholes. And why do we keep doing it?

I'm guessing it was Schueler. I'm glad he is gone. As long as this thread is for people in the know, I have a question. If the White Sox are looking for a GM after this season, would they consider bringing Schueler back? I know JR had stated that he could be GM as long as he wanted a few years back, and he looks like he wants to do it again. I don't know if he burned any bridges, I can only hope he has.

im thinking schu is liking his job on the north side.. leaves him a plethora of time to play golf.......highly doubt he would ever come back here......of course anything is possible for the right price and benefits..... :D

As perhaps this board's only ordained clergy member, I will have to state that - and I lvoe you Steff - the explnation of baptism given is very much that one particular religious interpretation and not the one that many church bodies subscribe to. I do not believe in such medieval concepts as original sin and the need to be batpized to prevent damnation. In fact, I could say much but this is the baseball side of this forum.

And Roman, I understand your stance on believer's baptism (adult baptism) but I wholeheartedly endorse and practice infant baptism because the action is God's action - that you are loved and made a member of the family before you yet know it, akin to birth. Baptism is not the act of saying "I believe..." - that would be confirmation or at any point in life actually - baptism is the Church performing the act which sacramentally says, this person who does not know it yet is loved by God and made a member of the community.

Clujer, I hope your desires work out to be present foer the birth of any children you may be the father. Intentions are great. However, don't be so judgmental on others. There may be many circumstances which mean you won't be there.

As perhaps this board's only ordained clergy member, I will have to state that - and I lvoe you Steff - the explnation of baptism given is very much that one particular religious interpretation and not the one that many church bodies subscribe to.  I do not believe in  such medieval concepts as original sin and the need to be batpized to prevent damnation.  In fact, I could say much but this is the baseball side of this forum.

And Roman, I understand your stance on believer's baptism (adult baptism) but I wholeheartedly endorse and practice infant baptism because the action is God's action - that you are loved and made a member of the family before you yet know it, akin to birth.  Baptism is not the act of saying "I believe..." - that would be confirmation or at any point in life actually - baptism is the Church performing the act which sacramentally says, this person who does not know it yet is loved by God and made a member of the community.

Clujer, I hope your desires work out to be present foer the birth of any children you may be the father.  Intentions are great.  However, don't be so judgmental on others.  There may be many circumstances which mean you won't be there.

With all due... I did not say that was the staple for all religions. :nono

And BS you love me.. you totally blew me off this weekend! :whip

As perhaps this board's only ordained clergy member, I will have to state that - and I lvoe you Steff - the explnation of baptism given is very much that one particular religious interpretation and not the one that many church bodies subscribe to.  I do not believe in  such medieval concepts as original sin and the need to be batpized to prevent damnation.  In fact, I could say much but this is the baseball side of this forum.

And Roman, I understand your stance on believer's baptism (adult baptism) but I wholeheartedly endorse and practice infant baptism because the action is God's action - that you are loved and made a member of the family before you yet know it, akin to birth.  Baptism is not the act of saying "I believe..." - that would be confirmation or at any point in life actually - baptism is the Church performing the act which sacramentally says, this person who does not know it yet is loved by God and made a member of the community.

Clujer, I hope your desires work out to be present foer the birth of any children you may be the father.  Intentions are great.  However, don't be so judgmental on others.  There may be many circumstances which mean you won't be there.

There he goes.....doin his preacher thing again! :D

I dont mean to offend cwsox or anyone else, but s*** i dont want to hear about cwsox and being a preacher until he acts like one..........

Guest hotsoxchick1

I dont mean to offend cwsox or anyone else, but s*** i dont want to hear about cwsox and being a preacher until he acts like one..........

just exactly how is a preacher supposed to act?????? :huh: :huh: i know priests have rules but preachers are a different story.....arent they??? ;)

just exactly how is a preacher supposed to act?????? :huh: :huh: i know priests have rules but preachers are a different story.....arent they??? ;)

Uhhh if you are representing the christian community and CONSTANTLY bringing attention to it, i dont feel you should be discussing your sex acts, using gods name in vein, among other things. Its total hypocrisy. Either youre a chirstian or you are NOT....

Uhhh if you are representing the christian community and CONSTANTLY bringing attention to it, i dont feel you should be discussing your sex acts, using gods name in vein, among other things.  Its total hypocrisy.  Either youre a chirstian or you are NOT....

And he's constantly bringing attention to the Christian commuinty..? Man.. I DO miss a lot here.

And since you're on your soap box.. give me some hell. I'm Catholic.

And he's constantly bringing attention to the Christian commuinty..? Man.. I DO miss a lot here.

Be real. Thats all i am saying. I dont care which direction he goes, but the hypocrisy is a joke and i can guarantee you many others have the same thoughts. Im no saint and dont pretent to be one myself. I have no right to preach. Im speaking simply of the hypocrisy.

Guest hotsoxchick1

despite the voicing of sex acts (which we all do from time to time or at least imply them ;) ) i have never heard cw take Gods name in vein....preachers are different from priests and are allowed to be a bit more liberal in their day to day routines......like marry for instance....doesnt matter what cw does in his non peaching times (hes allowed to have a life outside the church)... its what he does when hes preaching to the masses that counts.... as long as the message hes supposed to convey gets across and doesnt fall on deaf ears, who cares what he has to say off duty???? preachers dont have to take a vow of celebacy.... and those preists who do take that vow sure do bust that one up from time to time dont they????how can you list your sins to a guy whos f***in the altar boy when hes done talkin to you????? give me cw any day of the week and ill listen and get a better message from him........ ;)

Be real. Thats all i am saying. I dont care which direction he goes, but the hypocrisy is a joke and i can guarantee you many others have the same thoughts. Im no saint and dont pretent to be one myself. I have no right to preach. Im speaking simply of the hypocrisy.

Why is he not real..? What exactly did he do..?

I'm no saint. I definitely don't pretend to be. But I do attend church - occasionally (and yes, more then twice a year :P !)- and I do confession (at which time I do ask for forgiveness for my potty mouth) and do take communion.

Guest hotsoxchick1

Why is he not real..? What exactly did he do..?

I'm no saint. I definitely don't pretend to be. But I do attend church - occasionally (and yes, more then twice a year :P !)- and I do confession (at which time I do ask for forgiveness for my potty mouth) and do take communion.

wow steff ......im impressed... my very bad compared to you..... i cant remember the last time i was in church... :o .well unless you count cw saying a prayer at a tailgate party before a game, as going to mass...... ;)

wow steff ......im impressed... my very bad compared to you..... i cant remember the last time i was in church... :o .well unless you count cw saying a prayer at a tailgate party before a game, as going to mass......  ;)

s*** I had to... I thought the reason we were in and out of the playoffs in 2000 was my fault for not going!! I kinda stopped going that year as much as I had in the past due to too much traveling.

Next tailgate I'll set up a blanket in the car window for confession and bring wafers so cw can give communion and catch you up. Will 5 or 6 boxes of wafers be enough for you... ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: