For those in the know

southsider2k5

Uhhh if you are representing the christian community and CONSTANTLY bringing attention to it, i dont feel you should be discussing your sex acts, using gods name in vein, among other things.  Its total hypocrisy.  Either youre a chirstian or you are NOT....

find one post where I have used God's name in vain -

find one.

letr alone where I use the phrase "God" or "Jesus" or "Jeus Christ" as an exclamation or even words like "gees" which is short for "Jesus" after all.

Believe what you want on the rest of my posts, but while you are lookinbg for the above, search for times that I do more than respond to things that others have posted as opposed to initiate religious discussions- then go through the off topic section and see how many of those I do not post in.

As for as sexual matters, I am very much ordained but celibacy is not a vow in the Protestant and Orthodox church bodies. And I doubt that if I enagged you in a conversation on the understandings of sexuality in the Augsburg Confession or the Episcopal bishops' statement of 1995, for example, or the expectations of clergy in the Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Reformed, or other church bodies' written statements on expectations of clergy, that you would be conversant there at all.

Now for your comment towards hypocrasy - and who is a Christian and who is not - your words, your accusations. Judgments like that do not come from this source. I will rest on the last portion of Romans 14 in particualr and the Pauline teaching on grace in general for everyone. And I am also copmfortable in that no one who knows me here shares in your statements. That is reserved for you alone.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hotsoxchick1
s*** I had to... I thought the reason we were in and out of the playoffs in 2000 was my fault for not going!! I kinda stopped going that year as much as I had in the past due to too much traveling.

Next tailgate I'll set up a blanket in the car window for confession and bring wafers so cw can give communion and catch you up. Will 5 or 6 boxes of wafers be enough for you... ?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

you better make that on a day when we have a double header going..... im gonna need alot of time in that cofessional......i have alot of years to make up for.....5-6 boxes??? better bring all you can find and a lot of holy water too... i may need to be rebaptised.......yikes.....

and i want to make something clear right now.. its not like i dont believe in God .. cause i really do.... its just years of catholic school, and having stuff that i thought at the time was a bit off key shoved into my brain that made me think outside the catholic box for a bit and realize that there was something else to all this religous stuff.........i have wandered into a baptist church from time to time.... not at all like a catholic ceremony where you know when to sit, stand and kneel.... i got a better message out of the baptist preacher than i ever did out of the catholic priest........i talk to God each and every day.... in my own way in the privacy of my home where he is always welcome...... :D

Guest hotsoxchick1
Ummm..  "geezus" is a "bad word"...? Oh boy.. I better plan on going a second time this month.

hey i always say geez us... didnt realize that was bad... better bring a few more waffers steff... we both need confession time...... ;) and notice when i mean the name in vein thing i always say gosh damn........ not that its any better but ...........

And BS you love me.. you totally blew me off this weekend!  :whip

A. Never post a whip in a post directed towards me. I might like it and upset bmr all the more.

B. I did not blow you off. I went to my father's new apartment as was planned but when i got there, he was gone - turned out he marked the wrong day on his calendar.

And then when i checked my email after that, it was already too late for me to make it. For which I am very sorry. I could not check my email sooner because the people I stay with, she was working on a major paper fur todayfor her class at Northwestern and I couldn't say, "host who let's me stay for free and friend of 30+ years, leave your computer so i can check my email."

And I am stupid enough to not know which Jimbo's you meant. The one I know is on 55th and Woodlawn and I would have been there in a flash if (1) I thought that was the one you meant - it is next to my seminary's campus [seminary reference for bmr] and (2) I wasn't attempting to see my father and (3) I had seen your email sooner.

And Steff, I do love you!

;)

hey i always say geez us... didnt realize that was bad... better bring a few more waffers steff... we both need confession time...... ;) and notice when i mean the name in vein thing i always say gosh damn........ not that its any better but ...........

see that is why I hate these discussions --

gees and geesus in their etymologies are using God's name in alternative form but using them in vain depends on your motivation - for me they would because I am so conscious of the etymological origin - for others it is just another f***ing phrase :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another example, in Judaism, no mortal is holy enough to say the Name of God so in print an orthodox or conservative Jew would type "G*d" in order to keep the commandment on not using God's name in vain. We type "God" without that same content underlying our thinking. A person whow as writing something obscene might type "G*d" in a string of semi-censored words.

It all depends on your motivation.

So Steff and HSC, you are perfectly fine. Te absolvo.

and i want to make something clear right now.. its not like i dont believe in God .. cause i really do.... its just years of catholic school, and having stuff that i thought at the time was a bit off key shoved into my brain that made me think outside the catholic box for a bit and realize that there was something else to all this religous stuff.........i have wandered into a baptist church from time to time.... not at all like a catholic ceremony where you know when to sit, stand and kneel.... i got a better message out of the baptist preacher than i ever did out of the  catholic priest........i talk to God each and every day.... in my own way in the privacy of my home where he is always welcome...... :D

If ya don't mind I am going to add a bit to this. I was baptized Baptist. My folks were not church goers yet shoved it down my throat every Sunday. I rebelled to the Catholic Church. I went to catholic grammar school. Public HS. Then Catholic College (St Xaviar). It was then that I got into the church full time again. The day after my wedding.. when I realized I had married an idiot.. I was completely turned off to organized religion. When I went to my priest for "help" regarding the social retard I had married.. he said "you married him". Nice, eh? Even after the divorce I went back to get the marriage annuled and got nothing but s*** for it. People get very different things out of it. Now what I get is a complete 180 from what I "thought" I got out of it 10 years ago. Now I go because I want to. Not because I feel "guilted" into it.

That and there is a reeeeaaallyyy hot priest there ;) :lol: :whip

Uhhh if you are representing the christian community and CONSTANTLY bringing attention to it, i dont feel you should be discussing your sex acts, using gods name in vein, among other things.  Its total hypocrisy.  Either youre a chirstian or you are NOT....

find one post where I have used God's name in vain -

find one.

letr alone where I use the phrase "God" or "Jesus" or "Jeus Christ" as an exclamation or even words like "gees" which is short for "Jesus" after all.

Believe what you want on the rest of my posts, but while you are lookinbg for the above, search for times that I do more than respond to things that others have posted as opposed to initiate religious discussions- then go through the off topic section and see how many of those I do not post in.

As for as sexual matters, I am very much ordained but celibacy is not a vow in the Protestant and Orthodox church bodies. And I doubt that if I enagged you in a conversation on the understandings of sexuality in the Augsburg Confession or the Episcopal bishops' statement of 1995, for example, or the expectations of clergy in the Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Reformed, or other church bodies' written statements on expectations of clergy, that you would be conversant there at all.

Now for your comment towards hypocrasy - and who is a Christian and who is not - your words, your accusations. Judgments like that do not come from this source. I will rest on the last portion of Romans 14 in particualr and the Pauline teaching on grace in general for everyone. And I am also copmfortable in that no one who knows me here shares in your statements. That is reserved for you alone.

DAMN is the exact same as god **** and i could find 1000. The meaning is totally the same so dont even try it lol :rolleyes:

And BS you love me.. you totally blew me off this weekend!  :whip

A. Never post a whip in a post directed towards me. I might like it and upset bmr all the more.

B. I did not blow you off. I went to my father's new apartment as was planned but when i got there, he was gone - turned out he marked the wrong day on his calendar.

And then when i checked my email after that, it was already too late for me to make it. For which I am very sorry. I could not check my email sooner because the people I stay with, she was working on a major paper fur todayfor her class at Northwestern and I couldn't say, "host who let's me stay for free and friend of 30+ years, leave your computer so i can check my email."

And I am stupid enough to not know which Jimbo's you meant. The one I know is on 55th and Woodlawn and I would have been there in a flash if (1) I thought that was the one you meant - it is next to my seminary's campus [seminary reference for bmr] and (2) I wasn't attempting to see my father and (3) I had seen your email sooner.

And Steff, I do love you!

;)

Bla, bla, bla...

OK, you're forgiven. :wub:

Guest hotsoxchick1

gees and geesus in their etymologies are using God's name in alternative form but using them in vain depends on your motivation - for me they would because I am so conscious of the etymological origin - for others it is just another f***ing phrase :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Another example, in Judaism, no mortal is holy enough to say the Name of God so in print an orthodox or conservative Jew would type "G*d" in order to keep the commandment on not using God's name in vain. We type "God" without that same content underlying our thinking.  A person whow as writing something obscene might type "G*d" in a string of semi-censored words. 

So Steff and HSC, you are perfectly fine.  Te absolvo.

whew i feel a bit better now cw thanks.. i promise to try to be better from now on though.......i have to seriously get out of here before traffic keeps me from gettin to the game on time..... say a prayer that we win cw..... ;) im off to lite a few fires under some butts, umm.. er.. maybe i make them candles instead and say a roseary???? lol... :D ..adios for now......love yas......

DAMN is the exact same as god **** and i could find 1000.  The meaning is totally the same so dont even try it lol  :rolleyes:

No way. They say "damn" during sermons all the time. If it meant GD they definitely would not say it.

Im not getting into a day long debate about this. Ive stated how i feel. I think its a joke that you even correlate yourself with the church or a leader of christians. Im quite sure many many others would feel the same. Dont get me wrong, this does NOT mean that i think you are a bad person. It means that if you are claiming to lead christians, you need to play the role model, and you do not.

gees and geesus in their etymologies are using God's name in alternative form but using them in vain depends on your motivation - for me they would because I am so conscious of the etymological origin - for others it is just another f***ing phrase :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Another example, in Judaism, no mortal is holy enough to say the Name of God so in print an orthodox or conservative Jew would type "G*d" in order to keep the commandment on not using God's name in vain. We type "God" without that same content underlying our thinking.  A person whow as writing something obscene might type "G*d" in a string of semi-censored words. 

whew i feel a bit better now cw thanks.. i promise to try to be better from now on though.......i have to seriously get out of here before traffic keeps me from gettin to the game on time..... say a prayer that we win cw..... ;) im off to lite a few fires under some butts, umm.. er.. maybe i make them candles instead and say a roseary???? lol... :D ..adios for now......love yas......

You. Bar. 6:15! You better be there!

No way. They say "damn" during sermons all the time. If it meant GD they definitely would not say it.

they use damn in a certain context. when you say DAMN about someone or something out of anger, its asking to damn them or it.

Guest hotsoxchick1

gees and geesus in their etymologies are using God's name in alternative form but using them in vain depends on your motivation - for me they would because I am so conscious of the etymological origin - for others it is just another f***ing phrase   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Another example, in Judaism, no mortal is holy enough to say the Name of God so in print an orthodox or conservative Jew would type "G*d" in order to keep the commandment on not using God's name in vain.   We type "God" without that same content underlying our thinking.  A person whow as writing something obscene might type "G*d" in a string of semi-censored words. 

You. Bar. 6:15! You better be there!

sorry cant tonite.. me, skybox, with boss and a few other company v.i.p.s.... very important i be there..... tomorrow me , bar, for as long as you like ok.. i get first rounds..... ;)

cwsox, without getting all defensive, look at it this way. When i see or hear the word preacher, priest, revernd, etc. I may want to seek that person out for advice and i look at that person as someone i can respect. When you start telling people about your sex life, cussing, judging, etc.........you are letting people down who look up to you. I dont have a problem with you personally, youre a nice person.

they use damn in a certain context. when you say DAMN about someone or something out of anger, its asking to damn them or it.

I know what you're saying.. but they have said "damn" as in someone was/is "damn mad". Not just "he knew he'd be damned".

The church has come a looooong way from the hush, hush of the late 70's and early 80's. You'd probably fall out of the pew if you sat in on a service these days.

I know what you're saying.. but they have said "damn" as in someone was/is "damn mad". Not just "he knew he'd be damned".

The church has come a looooong way from the hush, hush of the late 70's and early 80's. You'd probably fall out of the pew if you sat in on a service these days.

Maybe so, but i try to stay away from the word damn when its out of anger and i think leaders of churches or christians certainly should do the same.

sorry cant tonite.. me, skybox, with boss and a few other company v.i.p.s.... very important i be there..... tomorrow me , bar, for as long as you like ok.. i get first rounds..... ;)

We're not going tomorrow. How about...

You! Poolside Saturday with MASS (since we got this church thing going) quantities of Margarita's??

Be real.  Thats all i am saying.  I dont care which direction he goes, but the hypocrisy is a joke and i can guarantee you many others have the same thoughts.  Im no saint and dont pretent to be one myself.  I have no right to preach.  Im speaking simply of the hypocrisy.

Interesting comment.

Judgmentalism is something that comes from where, exactly? Who is putting themselves in the place of God and calling other people hypocrites?

So I guess it is not the clergy who are throwing stones - and the gathering of the self righteous opinionated who judge others isn't meeting at my place.

Not that I am suggesting that anyone is a hypcorite or self righteous or opinionated (especially on people they haven't met) - just saying the meeting of those people isn't where I am.

Nice touch, the "many others." Always fun to allege a bunch of people feel a certain way when they are not named and do not own up to it.

Everyone I know has been on your side for everything. And that would include me being on your side.

DIDnt even waste my time reading past the 1st sentence. CHristians and preachers dont turn the mirror. Nice try tho, lol. :rolleyes:

Maybe so, but i try to stay away from the word damn when its out of anger and i think leaders of churches or christians certainly should do the same.

Have you ever peeked into the Bible..?? Lot's of swear words in there ;)

Guest hotsoxchick1
We're not going tomorrow. How about...

You! Poolside Saturday with MASS (since we got this church thing going) quantities of Margarita's??

ok that sounds good too.. ill be in touch... i have to get now as boss is standing outside my door pointing at his watch....lol..my limo awaits..... ;) ttfn........drop me an im here ok........

Have you ever peeked into the Bible..?? Lot's of swear words in there  ;)

Steff, please. do you understnad the true meaning of the word damn? The ONLY swear word i have a problem with is damn and thats only when its asking to damn something or someone. THEN and only then its using gods name in vein, cuz well, he is the only one who can truly damn something or someone. You can say damn 1000 times as long as youre not asking something or someone to be damned............

cwsox, without getting all defensive, look at it this way.  When i see or hear the word preacher, priest, revernd, etc.  I may want to seek that person out for advice and i look at that person as someone i can respect.  When you start telling people about your sex life, cussing, judging, etc.........you are letting people down who look up to you.  I dont have a problem  with you personally, youre a nice person.

Defensiveness isn't in my house.

I hope your clergy in your personal life meet your expectations.

When I am here, I am not here as a pastor with you as a congregant. When I am here, I am with friends. And I talk as I do with my friends.

You are not a member of my congregation. I do not have to live up to your plaster saint expectations of your clergy in your real life when I am posting with my friends in a baseball forum.

Judging is your province, as we have seen in this thread.

I also have tatoos and ear rings beyond the fact that I say s*** and damn. If that is a problem for you, the problem is yours, not mine. The people to whom I minsiter and the people to whom I am responsible have no problems with that - and do the same themselves - except for the earrings.

Some people dislike clergy who act all pious all the time and I am one of them. I am f***ing tired of people who wish to live lives their way while making others conform to their expectations. It's your thing, do what you want to do. Just don't expect me to do your thing. I do my thing - and I do God's thing - in my life, not yours.

And I am not a nice person, I am an asshole.

I am out of this conversation at this point. We are way off topic. We need to get back to baseball here or I'll have to be a good mod and move this to off topic.

PS: Damn is not using God's name in vain if one is damn amd or damned tired or whatever. Back to the etymologies. To say "God damn you" is a concept that to me matches the criteria that you posted about, and I never say that. If however someone hits my car and I say "damn it to hell" referring to the hitting of my car as oppsoed to the person who hit me - cool by me. The church and church leaders (how many do you know?) may have far wider understandings that you, but as far as saying "damn you" to someone else, I would agree with you which is why, damn it, I never say that.