10 Sox prospects to watch

YASNY

Nice job by Lisa Winston on some up and coming players in Sox system.

Allen, Beckham, JorDanks, Escobar, Flowers, Getz, Poreda, Richard, Shelby and Viciedo.

Add the big 4 of Floyds, JonDanks, Quentin and Ramirez from last year and things appear to be looking rosey for the long term on the south side.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 12:49 AM)
Nice job by Lisa Winston on some up and coming players in Sox system.

Allen, Beckham, JorDanks, Escobar, Flowers, Getz, Poreda, Richard, Shelby and Viciedo.

Add the big 4 of Floyds, JonDanks, Quentin and Ramirez from last year and things appear to be looking rosey for the long term on the south side.

And we have 4 (I think it's 4?) picks in the first two rounds of the upcoming draft. We're still lacking overall depth (especially in the pitching department). But considering where we were just two years ago, I'm more than satisfied with where our system currently stands. Key word being "currently." I still expect it to get better.

Edited by Jordan4life

I like the blend of LH [Getz, Allen, Jor. Danks] and RH hitters [beckham, Viciedo, Flowers, Shelby]. With Kenny talking about adding a leadoff type hitter in this year's draft [preferably a switch hitter for the OF], the sox should beef up their pitching. I know they added arms in last year's draft. But if they can't add a leadoff guy with their top pick, they should target arms with most of their remaining picks. Also, the sox could use another lefty power hitter or two, either from 1b or the OF.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 06:50 AM)
I like the blend of LH [Getz, Allen, Jor. Danks] and RH hitters [beckham, Viciedo, Flowers, Shelby]. With Kenny talking about adding a leadoff type hitter in this year's draft [preferably a switch hitter for the OF], the sox should beef up their pitching. I know they added arms in last year's draft. But if they can't add a leadoff guy with their top pick, they should target arms with most of their remaining picks. Also, the sox could use another lefty power hitter or two, either from 1b or the OF.

This is usually a good plan, but they haven't hit on much of anything lately as far as pitchers go (Kris Honel, Royce Ring, Lance Broadway, Kyle McCulloch, Nevin Griffith, and the jury is still out on Poreda). I want to see some high ceiling pitchers drafted, but their track record hasn't been too encouraging. Our scouting definitely has to step it up.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
This is usually a good plan, but they haven't hit on much of anything lately as far as pitchers go (Kris Honel, Royce Ring, Lance Broadway, Kyle McCulloch, Nevin Griffith, and the jury is still out on Poreda). I want to see some high ceiling pitchers drafted, but their track record hasn't been too encouraging. Our scouting definitely has to step it up.

Speaking of, anyone know the deal with that kid? He was drafted out of HS so he's obviously still young but didnt he have TJS last off-season? Anyone have any status updates on him?

I really don't get the level of Escobar love. I've seen his numbers, read some scouting report bits... I don't see much difference between him and Sergio Miranda, who we just traded for near nothing. In fact they are eerily similar in performance in their first years, and at almost the same age (Escobar is 1 year younger), except that Miranda had a much better batter's eye (see K/BB) and 50 more points of slugging (which I didn't think was possible). I think Escobar has value, but, he's not as good as he seems to be listed as, in my view. At least 10 other prospects in the system today I'd put ahead of him, maybe more.

Otherwise I agree, good list, lots of good players to watch.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
I really don't get the level of Escobar love. I've seen his numbers, read some scouting report bits... I don't see much difference between him and Sergio Miranda, who we just traded for near nothing. In fact they are eerily similar in performance in their first years, and at almost the same age (Escobar is 1 year younger), except that Miranda had a much better batter's eye (see K/BB) and 50 more points of slugging (which I didn't think was possible). I think Escobar has value, but, he's not as good as he seems to be listed as, in my view. At least 10 other prospects in the system today I'd put ahead of him, maybe more.

Otherwise I agree, good list, lots of good players to watch.

BA has him rated as the best defensive infielder in the Sox system. That's why.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
BA has him rated as the best defensive infielder in the Sox system. That's why.

OK, so that helps offset the offensive deficiencies. But it still doesn't make it up enough to justify that high ranking, IMO, even if he truly is the best defensive infielder in the system.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 06:50 AM)

I hope with one of the picks they take a guy with signability questions. See if they can really hit the jackpot with this draft.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 02:15 AM)
And we have 4 (I think it's 4?) picks in the first two rounds of the upcoming draft. We're still lacking overall depth (especially in the pitching department). But considering where we were just two years ago, I'm more than satisfied with where our system currently stands. Key word being "currently." I still expect it to get better.

If I am a GM, I will be picking pitching all the time unless there is a 5 tool player out there. You win with pitching.