Sox will carry 12 pitchers according to Oz

southsider2k5

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....-white-sox.html

Twelve pitchers only way to go for White Sox

By Mark Gonzales

PHOENIX - In covering all the possibilities for the pitching staff, manager Ozzie Guillen reiterated that the White Sox will carry 12 pitchers.

"Especially if you carry (Bartolo) Colon and (Jose) Contreras, you will need all those pitchers," Guillen said.

It's also why the Sox talk about 16 pitchers in their pre-game staff meetings. The competition will heat up Friday against the Cubs in Mesa.

Jack Egbert and left-hander Randy Williams are scheduled to pitch Friday and Saturday, followed by Mike McDougal and Lance Broadway on Sunday at Tucson against Arizona.

If Colon and Contreras are healthy by opening day, they would join Mark Buehrle, Gavin Floyd and John Danks in the rotation. Closer Bobby Jenks, Octavio Dotel, Scott Linebrink, Matt Thornton, Clayton Richard and probably D.J. Carrasco have secured spots in the bullpen.

That would leave one spot. Jeff Marquez, who serves as insurance if Colon isn't ready, allowed three runs on six hits in four innings and has been shaky his past four outings after pitching five scoreless innings against the Cubs to start spring training.

Marquez has been a starter for most of his career but appears relegated for long relief if he makes the opening day roster.

MacDougal is owed $2.65 million this season but has struck out 18 in 10 innings. Guillen hasn't ruled out carrying three left-handers in the bullpen, and Williams hasn't allowed a run in all but one of his 10 appearances.

Broadway, thought to be trade fodder, has caught the staff's attention with his improvement.

"I'm really excited about him," Guillen said. "We talk about him. ... He's in the mix."

im surprised to see Carassco locked into a spot, but he was huge last year for us...i think MacDougal makes it personally, and i think broadway is the first one called up during the year if something happens or carassco or macdougal suck

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
im surprised to see Carassco locked into a spot, but he was huge last year for us...i think MacDougal makes it personally, and i think broadway is the first one called up during the year if something happens or carassco or macdougal suck

I agree completely. Hopefully MacDougal can figure it out again. If he can return to form, it would be huge for the Sox! Especially with Dotel looking a little shaky.

Edited by soxfan3530

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)

Carrasco was pretty awesome last year, it definitely earned him a spot in this year's bullpen. 3.96 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 2.14 K/BB, a K/9 of 7, only 2 HR allowed and 7 outings of 2+ innings. Yeah that's a pretty valuable reliever. The bullpen is probably set with MacDougal's solid outing yesterday he's going to make the team the only question mark lies with the back of the rotation.