Julio Lugo

Jim Fainter

Possibly.  I was going to mention that, but I didn't want to start a debate on a non baseball issue.  It probably depends on the temperature of the local DA.  I don't expect it to happen.

Oh geezus.. prepare for the rath of clu. :whip

Someone might want to toss this to the OT board, please..

I'd be willing to bet her original statement was correct, and she now is having second thoughts. I feel sorry for her.

Feel sorry for her if you want...but she's either guilty of filing a false police report ("exaggerating" or not, it's still reporting something inaccurate to the police, which is illegal) or perjury.

Feel sorry for her if you want...but she's either guilty of filing a false police report ("exaggerating" or not, it's still reporting something inaccurate to the police, which is illegal) or perjury.

I don't think the Astros would release a player based on a police report. I'm sure they did some investigating on their own. If you want her to go to jail because her asshole husband beat her, thats your business. But its pretty clear what happened here.

I don't think the Astros would release a player based on a police report. I'm sure they did some investigating on their own. If you want her to go to jail because her asshole husband beat her, thats your business. But its pretty clear what happened here.

Jail or a mental institute so she can be evaluated and helped...one of the two. People who allow themselves to be abused and do nothing about it have no place in society.

And uh, no, she wouldn't be going to jail because she got beat...she would be going to jail for lying to the people that were trying to protect her and do what was in HER best interest.

I'd be willing to bet her original statement was correct, and she now is having second thoughts. I feel sorry for her.

You feel sorry for somebody that protects her attacker and continues to put herself in a dangerous situation?

You feel sorry for somebody that protects her attacker and continues to put herself in a dangerous situation?

Exactly. This is a text book domestic abuse case, and this little senerio occurs quite often. In all probability she will again be abused. She probably lives in fear.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who feels that once the abuse happens one time, from there on the abused is just as much to blame for it continuing as the abuser is.

Exactly. This is a text book domestic abuse case, and this little senerio occurs quite often. In all probability she will again be abused. She probably lives in fear.

Yes, but she CHOOSES to live in fear. She had the sonofab****, and now she's letting him off. I feel sorry for her getting abused. I DON'T feel sorry for her if she continues to get abused. She made a choice to stay.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who feels that once the abuse happens one time, from there on the abused is just as much to blame for it continuing as the abuser is.

There's plenty of government and private programs to help battered women. She doesn't have to stay.

Yes, but she CHOOSES to live in fear. She had the sonofab****, and now she's letting him off. I feel sorry for her getting abused. I DON'T feel sorry for her if she continues to get abused. She made a choice to stay.

Obviously then you believe her mental state is normal. We don't know the extent of the abuse she has taken, but surely this isn't the first time. I'm sure he has been verbally abusive and her self esteem is probably very low. How many times did Ike Turner beat Tina before she left. I do think if a man hits a woman she should leave and never look back. Unfortunately, it is not that easy. Her esteem is so low, she may even think she deserves it. I do hope she is getting help, and one day will be strong enough to walk away, but to charge her with anything is ridiculous.

Obviously then you believe her mental state is normal. We don't know the extent of the abuse she has taken, but surely this isn't the first time. I'm sure he has been verbally abusive and her self esteem is probably very low. How many times did Ike Turner beat Tina before she left. I do think if a man hits a woman she should leave and never look back. Unfortunately, it is not that easy. Her esteem is so low, she may even think she deserves it. I do hope she is getting help, and one day will be strong enough to walk away, but to charge her with anything is ridiculous.

I don't know if I'd advicate charging her with anything because it could backfire and women might not report abuses. I do, however support creating a law that says she can't drop the charges against him once she's already signed a statement.

I don't know if I'd advicate charging her with anything because it could backfire and women might not report abuses. I do, however support creating a law that says she can't drop the charges against him once she's already signed a statement.

I believe in some states that is the deal.

The charges against Lugo were NOT dropped.  He went to trial and was acquitted, probably in large part to her testimony.

Thanks.

This is just a big ass mess. I'm sure we can all agree that Lugo should be taken out behind the wood shed for a beating of his own.

This is so common in Domestic Battery situations that, although she should be charged with filing a false police report (in a perfect world), she won't. She'll just have his ass arrested again the next time he beats the f*** out of her. There are so many reasons why battered women (and men) later defend the one that hit them upside the head (sometimes with a rum bottle ;) ), that I don't have the time to get into it on this board. Just know that it will happen again..... even if it doesn't get reported to the police next time.

Oh geezus.. prepare for the rath of clu.  :whip

Why? Clu's right. :huh:

And where did I say he was or wasn't?

Your original quote makes it sound like you don't wanna hear anything Clu has to say on the issue even though Clu's right.

Nope. And it was not intended that way. Clu is passionate on the subject to the point of a fork being shoved down the throat of the person who disagrees with him :rolleyes: . A conversation that should be on the OT board, IMO.

Your original quote makes it sound like you don't wanna hear anything Clu has to say on the issue even though Clu's right.

As for him being right.. unless you've walked in those shoes - which he has indicated he has not - I don't think it's fair to judge others. No one knows what others lives are like behind closed doors. To make a blanket assumption is not possible in cases of abuse. It's safe to say, though, that clu would get his ass kicked to a bloody pulp if he walked into a DV shelter and made his comments. ;)