Marquez on very shaky ground now

caulfield12

Marquez's status is more curious. After pitching five scoreless innings against the Cubs, Marquez has allowed 10 earned runs on 17 hits in his past 10 1/3 innings, and the coaching staff bluntly knocked Marquez's inability to get ahead in the count.

With seasoned right-handers like D.J. Carrasco and Mike MacDougal, who has struck out 18 in 11 appearances, batting for a spot, the Sox recently have been hesitant to declare Marquez a member of the opening day staff.

And if Colon or Contreras suffer a setback in any of their next two outings, the Sox could be scrambling for a replacement to give them five innings.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Let's just be thankful we didn't have to start the season with CR/AP as the 4/5 or Mr. Marquez. KW got a little lucky with Contreras returning miraculously to health (seemingly), so you can see his rationale for not making another pitching move except for the bargain-basement Blue Light Special Colon.

Hopefully one of our AA hurlers emerges this season as a legit Top 10 prospect (I know Ely has been on the list, but I need more convincing) and is ready to make the jump to Chicago in 2010 to replace Jose or Bartolo.

I always love how sports writers interpret what is said and try to make it sound more dramatic.

Here's what 'the coaching staff' (ie. Ozzie) actually said...

"Every time he (Marquez) got in trouble (Thursday), he was behind in the count. I think the key for him is to make sure he attacks the strike zone. But he threw the ball well."

Well, then I'm curious, because he could have been extrapolating Ozzie's individual comments to mean "coaching staff" (plural) or he actually had some "off the record" conversations with Cooper (not for print) where this concern was expressed...

Obviously, from Ozzie's comments, Guillen doesn't have a problem with him. So you wonder if the coaching staff will be more careful with Gonzales in the future if he really twisted that one, singular quote around so much and spun a mountain out of a molehill.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Good article on Broadway, Williams and Lucy. Williams could completely fizzle out and never be heard from again, but I like his honesty, candor and perseverance. It's much easier to root for a guy like him than Boon Logan.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
McDougal and Williams could be the surprise men in with Marquez and Richards out

If Contreras and Colon make it, they're going to need guys that can go 3-4 innings.

To me, Richard makes the pitching staff no matter what.

The other spots--I think Egbert or Broadway could beat out Marquez for a bullpen spot.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
If Contreras and Colon make it, they're going to need guys that can go 3-4 innings.

To me, Richard makes the pitching staff no matter what.

And that man is DJ Carrasco who had 3 outings of 3+ IP last year and allowed 2 ER in those 12 IP. Richard is probably going to make the team but he certainly doesn't have to make the team. I also think MacDougal is a lock at this point, he has too much potential and money invested in him to go back to Charlotte after the way he's performed this Spring.

The Sox won't actually need a 5th starter until April 15th at Detroit, so in theory they could open the season with this pitching staff:

Rotation: Danks-Floyd-Buehrle-Contreras

Pen: Jenks-Thornton-Linebrink-Dotel-MacDougal-Richard-Williams-Carrasco

Then they could test Richard out as a short reliever since he's been starting all spring and basically extend the 2nd lefty competition out until April 14th, which would be 8 extra regular season games. If Richard can't get it done as a reliever then keep Williams around and send Richard to Charlotte, otherwise put Williams on waivers and activate Colon.