Hanley wants out of Miami

whitesoxbrian

What's the beef? Well, Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez recently forced all of his long-haired players, including Ramirez, into an impromptu date with the clubhouse hairdresser. He also banned any jewelry worn onfield by Ramirez or any of his teammates.

"We want to look professional," Gonzalez told the Sun-Sentinel. "Nice and neat."

Only problem was that Ramirez, ranked first overall in Yahoo!'s fantasy baseball game, didn't take kindly to having his shortish dreads shorn off or his chain yanked off his neck. Once the media entered the Marlins' clubhouse on Thursday, Ramirez made sure he was seen sporting a strong message — "I'm sick of this ****" — written in Sharpie across his chest.

"I'm angry," he told reporters. "I want to be traded ... It's incredible. We're big leaguers."

yahoo.com

I've always found that so weird in baseball, that some managers/owners want the clean cut thing. I can understand it in an office, but it's freakin' baseball. As long as they're all wearing the right uniform, who gives a s***?

Cause the little things can piss off your star players. Case in point.

Per the SunTimes

A chat with the Marlins brass seemed to do wonders for Ramirez, however, because just a few hours after the protest, he was all smiles.

"Everything's great, I'm fine," he said. "My mind calmed down."

I'm sure he's still frustrated though, just trying to say the right things.

Um, non-story?

Word got out Ramirez was angry. And after he left the game in the sixth inning, he was met in the clubhouse by the Marlins brain trust of President David Samson, General Manager Larry Beinfest and assistant GM Mike Hill.

Ten minutes later, Ramirez left the locker room. So?

"Everything's great, I'm fine," Ramirez said.

What about the Sharpie message, the angry trade demand?

"My mind calmed down," he said.

Maybe he just needed a hug from the front office. Maybe they said he can wear his hair and jewelry as he wants now. All Ramirez said with a smile was, "Everything's going to be fine."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...,7304813.column

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
Yeah sometimes it seems rediculous, but they are professionals making good money. I think they can follow the rules that are givin to them.

That's kind of the conundrum, cause if your pay a guy 100 million bucks, sometimes they get a little ego going, and if you do a little thing that pisses them off, it effects your team, but it's not like the Marlins were gonna trade away a superstar cause of his hair. Or the Dodgers are gonna bench Manny cause his hair is too long, or his pants are too baggy. It's just not gonna happen.

Plus, baseball is the most superstitious sport in the world, sometimes jewelry, especially if you're a really religious person, and hair length are big to a player cause they think it helps them perform.

I don't blame Hanley for being pissed off, I've been in similar situations.

I think it's retarded how baseball teams like the Marlins and Yankees have hair and facial hair requirements. Facial hair and how long a player's hair is has nothing to do with how they perform on the field, so the notion of "looking professional" is ridiculous. The fact that the Yankees forbid facial hair (except for Giambi last season) is one of the many reasons why I just hate that team.

Also, as I said, I've had issues where bosses made a big deal about my facial hair and my 3/4 shorts extending too far below my knees. I almost always have a 5 o'clock shadow of whisters along with my moustache and goatee, it's my style, and it pisses me off whenever one of my bosses tells me to shave. Well, I never shave because they tell me to, I only end up shaving when I feel I need to, and I've never gotten fired or reprimanded for not shaving because I'm one of their top employees, so they can go ef themselves. Also, as for my 3/4 shorts, I think they're much more professional-looking than those regular shorts that cuts off at the knees. People who wear regular shorts that cuts off at the knees have no idea how dorky and "white" they look.

Anyway, the Florida Marlins need to worry less about "looking professional" and more on trying to win ball games.

Fight the good fight, Hanley! :headbang

Edited by SouthsideDon48

The whole situation is screwy. You give these guys MILLIONS to perform and while I can understand them wanting their talent to display a certain level of professionalism, you also want them to feel comfortable. If growing hair down to their ass and wearing forty-seven crucifixes on their person makes them comfortable and helps them relax and play their game, more power to em.

2192177782_708a516ceb.jpg

How'd he go to the bathroom with all that s*** on?

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
The whole situation is screwy. You give these guys MILLIONS to perform and while I can understand them wanting their talent to display a certain level of professionalism, you also want them to feel comfortable. If growing hair down to their ass and wearing forty-seven crucifixes on their person makes them comfortable and helps them relax and play their game, more power to em.

They also paid Hanley $80 million to be the face of the franchise. He's going to be the most visible, and perhaps most importantly, the most marketable Marlin. Keep it clean.

If Hanley or anyone else doesn't like it, they should quit. This is the MLB, it is a business, as well as a game. If a team wants it's players to look like professionals, it's their right. I prefer teams that have some sort of dress code. I'd also not allow players to wear uniforms that are 5 sizes to big (Manny) or have pants that cover up their shoes.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 08:56 AM)
I'd also not allow players to wear uniforms that are 5 sizes to big (Manny) or have pants that cover up their shoes.

Lol, then you wouldn't want me on your team. :lolhitting

What's the big deal about pants covering up shoes???

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
Lol, then you wouldn't want me on your team. :lolhitting

What's the big deal about pants covering up shoes???

Because it's stupid. In fact, I'd make all the players on my team, well, at least all the position players wear their socks high. This only benefits you because it gives the umpire a much better indication of where your knees are when you're at bat.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
Because it's stupid. In fact, I'd make all the players on my team, well, at least all the position players wear their socks high. This only benefits you because it gives the umpire a much better indication of where your knees are when you're at bat.

Who says that the umpire will go by that? If anything this makes your point just as stupid.

I normally dont have a problem with this kind of stuff, like when the Yankees do it. But I can see why Ramirez might get mad. I would be a little agitated being told by my team how I could wear my hair when they are constantly dumping payroll and seem like theyre not even trying to compete most years. Yes, I know theyve won two World Series but you know what I mean. At least the Yankees are always trying to field a winner, but as far as the Marlins go, if ownership doesnt care, why should the players.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
I don't blame Hanley for being pissed off, I've been in similar situations.

I think it's retarded how baseball teams like the Marlins and Yankees have hair and facial hair requirements. Facial hair and how long a player's hair is has nothing to do with how they perform on the field, so the notion of "looking professional" is ridiculous. The fact that the Yankees forbid facial hair (except for Giambi last season) is one of the many reasons why I just hate that team.

Also, as I said, I've had issues where bosses made a big deal about my facial hair and my 3/4 shorts extending too far below my knees. I almost always have a 5 o'clock shadow of whisters along with my moustache and goatee, it's my style, and it pisses me off whenever one of my bosses tells me to shave. Well, I never shave because they tell me to, I only end up shaving when I feel I need to, and I've never gotten fired or reprimanded for not shaving because I'm one of their top employees, so they can go ef themselves. Also, as for my 3/4 shorts, I think they're much more professional-looking than those regular shorts that cuts off at the knees. People who wear regular shorts that cuts off at the knees have no idea how dorky and "white" they look.

Anyway, the Florida Marlins need to worry less about "looking professional" and more on trying to win ball games.

Fight the good fight, Hanley! :headbang

The White Sox are also a team that has requirements for hair length. Don't forget Jerry ordered some haircuts back in spring of 2006.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
What i'm saying is who's to say that every umpire is going to use the pants as their reference?

Well, having your socks high gives you a pretty good indication for where the knees are. I don't see how it could possibly hurt, and if anything, have a positive impact with a more consistent zone for low strikes.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
Well, having your socks high gives you a pretty good indication for where the knees are. I don't see how it could possibly hurt, and if anything, have a positive impact with a more consistent zone for low strikes.

Having your socks high is only cool if your name is "El Duque" Orlando Hernandez.