Good article on Linebrink

scenario

Article by Scott Merkin Excerpts below...

Linebrink focused on health in spring

White Sox reliever wants to be sure shoulder issues are in past

Scott Linebrink has given up on ever feeling absolutely 100 percent again on the mound.

"Where I'm at right now, I really didn't think I'd be where I am now, starting when I started playing catch this offseason and where I ended up last year," Linebrink said. "I was a little concerned the way my shoulder felt and the last time I felt like that, I had surgery [in 1998].

"The fact we worked through this, it's given me a lot of confidence. I've seen stuff that was coming out of my hand that was a lot better than the end of last year. I'm not really thinking of anything with my shoulder when I go out there. I'm able to go out and work on hitting spots. And I've also figured out things mechanics-wise to take stress off my shoulder.

When factoring in four straight seasons of at least 71 appearances, along with four straight seasons of at least 70 innings pitched, Linebrink understands that his quip about never being 100 percent is fairly accurate. Then again, the White Sox don't need Linebrink to be perfect. They just want him to play the same important setup role to closer Bobby Jenks, along with Octavio Dotel and Matt Thornton, as he did for the first half of 2008.

"My concern is just having the best stuff I can and go out there and feel I can get outs. Right now, I feel like I can. The few games that have been rough have simply been a matter of location and I think a lot of that goes back to mechanics, not necessarily how my arm feels."

Edited by scenario

I don't understand entirely why we had to give him 4 years...? I think 3 would have been plenty. Two should have been fine, like Dotel.

Sure, 3-4 seasons ago he was definitely the best/most-reliable set up guy in the big leagues along with Scott Shields. But I think Linebrink had a very "down" 2007 season, and there were lots of concerns about overuse/abuse and innings and appearances taking their toll on him. Plus he was going to the much tougher AL. His velocity was also well below normal in 2007. One of the riskiest moves KW has ever made for a "non-star" player, yet an integral part of the team nonetheless. We definitely couldn't have won without him last year...there's no arguing that. Someone like Russell, MacDougal or Wasserman just weren't capable of taking on that role. Really, Dotel wasn't either...not consistently.

If he pitches like he did in the first half of 2008 for at least two more seasons, then the contract was still a very good deal. I just can't imagine that happening, nor can I imagine him going through 3 consecutive injury/pain-free seasons at this point in his career.

Speaking of injuries, what's the latest with Mark Mulder? Has anyone heard anything about him recently?

Edited by caulfield12

I don't understand entirely why we had to give him 4 years...? I think 3 would have been plenty. Two should have been fine, like Dotel.

The years don't bother me as much especially if he's productive. That f***ing no trade clause does though.

2008 showed that Linebrink can be effective in the AL and at the Cell, which were the two biggest concerns. A lot of people thougth he'd get lit up.

He had always been healthy, and I don't know of any red flags to suggest he'd be hurt [except pitching a lot of innings]. I'd agree a 3 yr deal might have been the best deal for the sox. Though who knows what other teams were offering him. The sox don't overpay often. This may have been one of those rare times.

Hopefully he stays healthy the next 3 years, because when he's out there, he's been able to get the job done.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)

Sure, 3-4 seasons ago he was definitely the best/most-reliable set up guy in the big leagues along with Scott Shields. But I think Linebrink had a very "down" 2007 season, and there were lots of concerns about overuse/abuse and innings and appearances taking their toll on him. Plus he was going to the much tougher AL. His velocity was also well below normal in 2007. One of the riskiest moves KW has ever made for a "non-star" player, yet an integral part of the team nonetheless. We definitely couldn't have won without him last year...there's no arguing that. Someone like Russell, MacDougal or Wasserman just weren't capable of taking on that role. Really, Dotel wasn't either...not consistently.

If he pitches like he did in the first half of 2008 for at least two more seasons, then the contract was still a very good deal. I just can't imagine that happening, nor can I imagine him going through 3 consecutive injury/pain-free seasons at this point in his career.

Speaking of injuries, what's the latest with Mark Mulder? Has anyone heard anything about him recently?

Times have changed. At the time, there probably was no way Linebrink signs for 3 years. KW had already tried with the bullpen what he's trying at other positions now, throwing a bunch of s*** against the way seeing if anything sticks. He had to overpay and frankly if he didn't get Linebrink, even though he did get hurt and was awful after that,(showing there really wasn't anyone to take his place) the White Sox almost certainly miss the playoffs. He overpaid, but he had to.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 05:45 AM)
Times have changed. At the time, there probably was no way Linebrink signs for 3 years. KW had already tried with the bullpen what he's trying at other positions now, throwing a bunch of s*** against the way seeing if anything sticks. He had to overpay and frankly if he didn't get Linebrink, even though he did get hurt and was awful after that,(showing there really wasn't anyone to take his place) the White Sox almost certainly miss the playoffs. He overpaid, but he had to.

Agreed, and the same argument can be applied to Dotel. Thankfully, Dotel at least has his health.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
Agreed, and the same argument can be applied to Dotel. Thankfully, Dotel at least has his health.

Physically yes, it`s the mental part that worries me about Dotel. As for Linebrink, I fully expect a ton of DL time this year.