The Back-up Catcher Poll

maggsmaggs

Back-up Catcher  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the back-up catcher Donny Lucy or or Corky Miller?

• Lucy
    • Miller

Personally, I think it should be Lucy. He has started to heat up and Miller has regressed some point. I think Lucy is a better defender and has better arm, but Miller is more experienced with ML pitchers. I want some fresh legs rather than some old vet who has never hit well in the majors. Your thoughts?

Its pretty amazing that this is even a discussion. After what sounded like a catastrophic knee injury ended Lucy's season last May, I wasn't sure he'd play again, since he's really only a valuable player as a catcher. But he sure seems to be back healthy, he's hitting a little bit, and I am confident that over a season, he'd out-hit and out-field Miller, though perhaps with not as good an arm. Either one throws better than AJ anyway, but both would be saddled with a pitching staff that makes that job tough.

I'm going with Lucy.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 08:10 PM)
If I knew which one called a better game I'd pick him.

I don't know about Miller. But Lucy's reputation is that pitchers really like working with him - there were even some published articles on this topic that were posted in FS over recent years.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
Either one throws better than AJ anyway, but both would be saddled with a pitching staff that makes that job tough.

It may have been meaningless, but I was slightly encouraged seeing AJ throw two speedsters out with Gavin (the anti-Buehrle when it comes to holding runners) on the mound. Maybe Coop has been able to speed him up a bit (slide step as Stony mentioned), or add a little deception. We'll see.

Count's probably too much of an "old dog" for any improvement in this regard.

Miller has one of the best arms in baseball, but one of the worst offensive track-records in history, too.

I'd go with Lucy, Stanford kid, great story of rehabilitation and perseverance for everyone, homegrown prospect. I wouldn't mind Williams making it over Richard even, but I think it will be MacDougal and Clayton for those two spots, Marquez and Broadway to minors.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
Surprisingly, the last round of cuts did not include Lucy. This leaves Backup C as, I believe, the only remaining open roster question.

I would have expected a catcher to be among the last cuts anyway. The Sox probably want to rest AJ a little bit for the remainder of ST and only use him in games, and they'll need someone else to help warm all the pitchers up. I think the Sox have already decided on who they want by now, and I'm guessing it's Corky.

Edit: Voted for Lucy, probably because I'm biased towards a Sox prospect and also because I'd like to see him get a shot after coming back from such a devastating injury.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
I was under the impression Lucy couldn't handle catching physically with his injury. If he's healthy, Corky Miller should be waived. He's hit .122 since 2003 or 2004.

.092/.181/.148/.329, -12 OPS+ since 2004

Normally, I wouldn't advance an unsubstantiated rumor, but I heard from a friend that I trust, that perhaps there's another reason that neither the Sox nor Cubs made an offer to Henry Blanco as the backup C.

I'm sure many of you are aware that Henry's brother was murdered in Venezuela last December after being kidnapped for ransom - a despicable practice that is all too common for Latin players making big $ in the States. My friend said that there might be more to this, that Henry was possibly involved in gang activity at some time in Venezuela, has the tattoos to prove it, and that his brother's death wasn't merely a money-grab gone bad. Thus, the unreported fear of the GM's is that Henry himself is a target, and would bring an unneeded security risk to the team that signs him.

Could all be crap, probably is, but has anyone else heard this? Apologies in advance.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
Normally, I wouldn't advance an unsubstantiated rumor, but I heard from a friend that I trust, that perhaps there's another reason that neither the Sox nor Cubs made an offer to Henry Blanco as the backup C.

I'm sure many of you are aware that Henry's brother was murdered in Venezuela last December after being kidnapped for ransom - a despicable practice that is all too common for Latin players making big $ in the States. My friend said that there might be more to this, that Henry was possibly involved in gang activity at some time in Venezuela, has the tattoos to prove it, and that his brother's death wasn't merely a money-grab gone bad. Thus, the unreported fear of the GM's is that Henry himself is a target, and would bring an unneeded security risk to the team that signs him.

Could all be crap, probably is, but has anyone else heard this? Apologies in advance.

Ozzie knows Blanco quite well so if this is true, I'm sure he knows better than anyone else. Also if true, considering Urbina, Ozzie needs to get some new friends in Venezuela.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
I was under the impression Lucy couldn't handle catching physically with his injury. If he's healthy, Corky Miller should be waived. He's hit .122 since 2003 or 2004.

I think we all assumed he wouldn't be healthy enough, probably, given his injury. But he's played, what, a dozen or so games there this spring, plus B games and practice? If he wasn't healthy enough for it, he wouldn't have been playing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
Ozzie knows Blanco quite well so if this is true, I'm sure he knows better than anyone else. Also if true, considering Urbina, Ozzie needs to get some new friends in Venezuela.

Problem is, Ozzie's got about a zillion friends, apparently. He's one gregarious dude! Bound to be some stinkers in the bunch.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)

I have to disagree about the tattoos. I was in Chicago in September 2007 and I was at Jade Dragon getting some ink from a guy who said he did Henry Blanco's tattoos on his arms. That doesn't sound like his tattoos are gang related to me.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
I have to disagree about the tattoos. I was in Chicago in September 2007 and I was at Jade Dragon getting some ink from a guy who said he did Henry Blanco's tattoos on his arms. That doesn't sound like his tattoos are gang related to me.

Hey man, I don't know. For all I know, he's got hundreds of tattoos all over his body, and if he does have "gang related" tattoos, who knows if they're on his arms?