Big brother takes another step forward

EvilMonkey

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
Five bucks says that Obama himself has downloaded music illegally.

That's not even the point. The point is, this is another "transparent" act by the Obama administration.

While I have no doubt the recording industry and film industry have lobbied extensively for something like this, and while I'm sure the government has put in money to the feasibility of the program, i'd bet a wager of one billion dollars that this does not go through. yes, the government is to prosecute tens (if not hundreds) of millions of citizens, right. Besides, probably wouldn't hold, "unreasonable search and seizure", this applies. Much ado about nothin. Cool though. Nice video. Back to blaming Obama for being worse than bush though, continue session.

This whole things seems rather fishy. Have there been no major news outlet reports of this, just a youtube video (and a fairly questionable one at that)? There were a lot of statements put forth in that video with no actual facts to back them up. Until I see some more concrete evidence, I'm going to assume this was just something taken completely out of context, at best.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 01:03 AM)
While I have no doubt the recording industry and film industry have lobbied extensively for something like this, and while I'm sure the government has put in money to the feasibility of the program, i'd bet a wager of one billion dollars that this does not go through. yes, the government is to prosecute tens (if not hundreds) of millions of citizens, right. Besides, probably wouldn't hold, "unreasonable search and seizure", this applies. Much ado about nothin. Cool though. Nice video. Back to blaming Obama for being worse than bush though, continue session.

And the government doesn't have to be the ones doing the prosecution, you can have quasi-business groupd like the Software Business Alliance who run those ads you hear every year about 'software piracy', trying to get people to turn in thier employers. The RIAA can use these laws to further go after grandma when her 13 year old grandkid downloaded an Eminem song on her computer while visiting last month.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 07:44 PM)
that would suck, I'd totally be in jail.

Ha, I just thought, wouldn't it be funny if the "I smoked marijuana" for politicians in 20 years is "I illegally downloaded music"

"I didn't inhale" will become "I didn't listen to it"

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 02:03 AM)

This whole process isn't even new. Except for the addition of the phrase "Obama administration," which, well, you know what happens after that.

This just adds a few more steps to my travel.

1.) Wipe IPOD

2.) Get past security checkgate.

3.) Bring up encrypted virtual machine on laptop.

4.) Load itunes and retransfer my data to the ipod.

5.) Enjoy music on my 12 hour flight.

6.) See rule 1 before going through customs.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 10:34 AM)
This just adds a few more steps to my travel.

1.) Wipe IPOD

2.) Get past security checkgate.

3.) Bring up encrypted virtual machine on laptop.

4.) Load itunes and retransfer my data to the ipod.

5.) Enjoy music on my 12 hour flight.

6.) See rule 1 before going through customs.

I think the problem with that is they've "illegalized" encryption in these cases. I know that's a made up word, but it is what it is. Under the guise of "national security" they can force you to give up your encrypted passwords, and if you refuse they can outright confiscate said device(s) for an unspecified amount of time.

Welcome to 1984 in 2009.

Seriously, not worried. RIAA isn't prosecuting individuals anymore, they can try to go after waffles and stuff, good luck. Filesharing won. Am not sorry to see the majors collapse. Spending millions of dollars and ridiculous sums of money on awful videos, recouping on 1 out of every 10 album. They deserved to fail.

Really, I haven't found anywhere that says any of these tinfoil hat scenarios is actually going to happen officially. Pure speculation so far - to include the video in the OP - and it seems like legions of lemmings are following into panic mode for no reason. The government doesn't have so much power where they can just arbitrarily and unilaterally do something like this without it being made into national law, or without being struck down by the SCOTUS.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
Really, I haven't found anywhere that says any of these tinfoil hat scenarios is actually going to happen officially. Pure speculation so far - to include the video in the OP - and it seems like legions of lemmings are following into panic mode for no reason. The government doesn't have so much power where they can just arbitrarily and unilaterally do something like this without it being made into national law, or without being struck down by the SCOTUS.

I agree, sounds like a lot of conspiracy theory to me, and if it ever did come to light, the supreme court would probably strike it down.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
I agree, sounds like a lot of conspiracy theory to me, and if it ever did come to light, the supreme court would probably strike it down.

I think it's the part about "secret negotiations" that has people spun up. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, things like that are always negotiated in secret, and for good reason. But the final thing, that can't be hidden.

Seriously though like I said in my first post, literally the only thing here that I didn't already know was that the Obama administration was considering criminalizing piracy. But as far as international bodies trying to enforce digital piracy laws, that's nothing new... but again, add in Obama's name and you get the usual suspects smelling blood in the water. It would be the same for Bush, just the opposite crowd doing it. Also, has anyone besides me noticed this is an English-language Russian news station interviewing random people?