Fan Friendly Players

jasonxctf

came back from Spring Training last week. Thought I'd share on some of the fan-friendly players/coaches I saw while i was there. (signing for kids, talking with fans, etc)

BEST

- Jim Thome

- Jeff Cox

- Chris Getz

- Jeff Marquez

- Dwayne Wise

- Josh Fields

OK

- Paul Konerko

- Jerry Owens

- DJ Carrasco

- Gordon Beckham

- Octavio Dotel

- Ozzie Guillen

- Harold Baines

WORST

- AJP

- Bobby Jenks

- Wilson Betemit

- Brent Lillibredge

- Brian Anderson

yeah i know that some guys have bad days or whatever. just a small sample size from the 2 games I went too.

I'd say worst would be those guys who blow past fans screaming their names without even acknowledging their prescence.

not a wave, smile or anything.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
yeah i know that some guys have bad days or whatever. just a small sample size from the 2 games I went too.

I'd say worst would be those guys who blow past fans screaming their names without even acknowledging their prescence.

Randy Moss is like that.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)

for most guys on your worst list, it's out the window if it's a hot chick!

Yeah, guys can be hit or miss. I heard after a session with Herm most players can be a tad bit edgy.

It would depend on the situation to me. If guys are ignoring fans during a game, I have no problem with that. The biggest jagbag I ever saw was Phil Mickleson. I was at St. Andrews in 2000 and attended a practice round. These guys hit 5 or 6 or more balls from the tee. Everyone in Mickleson's group was very friendly. Signing golfballs and programs for a lot of kids, not Phil. He was too busy concentrating. Of course, he f***ed around with the guys at the tee box, hitting goofy shots, borrowing a club and hitting right handed (he wasn't bad), not taking his practice very seriously. I always have pulled for him to lose after that, even though I haven't asked for an autograph since Claudell Washington.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
It would depend on the situation to me. If guys are ignoring fans during a game, I have no problem with that. The biggest jagbag I ever saw was Phil Mickleson. I was at St. Andrews in 2000 and attended a practice round. These guys hit 5 or 6 or more balls from the tee. Everyone in Mickleson's group was very friendly. Signing golfballs and programs for a lot of kids, not Phil. He was too busy concentrating. Of course, he f***ed around with the guys at the tee box, hitting goofy shots, borrowing a club and hitting right handed (he wasn't bad), not taking his practice very seriously. I always have pulled for him to lose after that, even though I haven't asked for an autograph since Claudell Washington.

I hate that fat f***. To me he's like Derek Jeter, no doubt an excellent player, but a little over hyped. He's racked up a ton of tournament wins, but IMO at their peaks there were always better players, such as Vijay, Ernie, etc. I'm so happy Tiger is back.

The Hawk is also tremendously nice, even more so with kids. Basically that's all I care about. A player can be the biggest dick in the world to an adult, but atleast be cordial to kids

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
as bad as a rep he received from the media, Frank Thomas was always great with the fans from my experiences.

I agree, when he lived in Oak Brook he would go to the mall all the time. I worked at one of the theaters there and he was awesome when he came in there and I heard nothing but good stories about other experiences.

i guess its something i dont understand. if you don't want to sign autographs, that's fine. but as you are jogging back to the dugout after warmups, how hard is it to waive to the fans and say Hi... or Go Sox or something like that? I guess they call it "big-leaguing" for a reason.

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
You can add Mark Buehrle to the Best list...dude is super nice and outgoing.

Def agree with that...

ST '06 talked to him for awhile at a bar and got him a shot of Jaeger...later on he got me back with a beer...was laughing cause I had on a St. Patty's green AJ shirt and he was like really...you wanted an Irish Sox shirt and you got one that said Pierzynski on the back...

As for AJ...met him, Crede, and Pods at the bar the next night...well I guess I can't say met b/c they didn’t even acknowledge us when we just wanted to say what's up and thanks for the championship...

BA - was hilarious that weekend...at the same bar with MB he was trying to get the girl I was with to give me some lovin...he was like I will give you my seats to any game you want if you just take him home right now...

by far the nicest guy that weekend was Rob Macowiack...saw him at both bars those 2 nights and he chilled with us just talking bout random stuff, getting us round, etc - you could tell he wasn't really "in" with the team yet...

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Every story I hear about Anderson makes him sound like a womanizer :D

Granted, this was his home town, but the 2 nights I saw him i would have to say your assumption is correct - it was pretty funny actually..

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
came back from Spring Training last week. Thought I'd share on some of the fan-friendly players/coaches I saw while i was there. (signing for kids, talking with fans, etc)

BEST

- Jim Thome

- Jeff Cox

- Chris Getz

- Jeff Marquez

- Dwayne Wise

- Josh Fields

OK

- Paul Konerko

- Jerry Owens

- DJ Carrasco

- Gordon Beckham

- Octavio Dotel

- Ozzie Guillen

- Harold Baines

WORST

- AJP

- Bobby Jenks

- Wilson Betemit

- Brent Lillibredge

- Brian Anderson

You think that would put a dent in my plans to get a picture of me and Gordon Beckham giving the rock n' roll devil horns?

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
i guess its something i dont understand. if you don't want to sign autographs, that's fine. but as you are jogging back to the dugout after warmups, how hard is it to waive to the fans and say Hi... or Go Sox or something like that? I guess they call it "big-leaguing" for a reason.

The people screaming are generally not saying anything like: "Go Sox" or "Hi", they are saying "Can You" or "Will You" or "Please".

This is just my experience.

Thats what pissed me off most about AJP....I wasn't hounding him to sign something or trying to be his best friend I just wanted to shake his hand and say thanks for getting the south side a ring...I think at most he maybe looked at the top of my head...

I don't feel as mad about Crede or Pods b/c I think they were just following AJ's lead...plus I said some bad things about Pods later on that year ('06) so I didn't deserve a Hello anyway...