Fan Friendly Players

jasonxctf

Off topic a bit, but what other athletes have you guys met that were nice?

By far the nicest one I have ever met was Corey Bradford, a WR for the Green Bay Packers (and later the Texans I think). I went to the hotel where the Pack was staying in Chicago (I'm a diehard Cheesehead..) and we were standing in the lobby in the autograph section (my dad and I). We were maybe two out of five or so people there (I was the only kid) and he came over to me, signed my helmet, and then sat down at a table off to the side of the lobby with my dad and I and just talked to us for about an hour. It was awesome! He also let me wear his solid-gold, diamond studded "#85" necklace! It was definitely the best experience I've had with a professional athlete. I don't even know how the guy could afford the necklace though.. he wasn't a superstar.

What about you guys?

QUOTE (FranktheTank35 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)

By far the nicest one I have ever met was Corey Bradford, a WR for the Green Bay Packers (and later the Texans I think). I went to the hotel where the Pack was staying in Chicago (I'm a diehard Cheesehead..) and we were standing in the lobby in the autograph section (my dad and I). We were maybe two out of five or so people there (I was the only kid) and he came over to me, signed my helmet, and then sat down at a table off to the side of the lobby with my dad and I and just talked to us for about an hour. It was awesome! He also let me wear his solid-gold, diamond studded "#85" necklace! It was definitely the best experience I've had with a professional athlete. I don't even know how the guy could afford the necklace though.. he wasn't a superstar.

What about you guys?

Micah Schnurstein gave me one of his $200 gloves, Gio Gonzalez is just about the nicest, friendliest guy ever & Fernando Hernandez is very down to earth.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 07:58 PM)
Pierzynski has always been the one guy who has signed for fans before games. Last year in KC, he was the only one who did, talking with the fans also. Even Wassermann said "no" for f***s sake.

Strange, Ehren was the exact opposite in B'ham.

Most recently, I met Derrick Mason (WR for the Ravens) while I was doing some charity thing fixing up this old lady's house. He was a pretty nice guy, he spent a lot of time talking to the lady, I think her name was Mrs. Robinson.

People wont believe me but... I met T.O. a while back and he was super friendly. I walked up to him and he shook my hand and we talked for a minute about the 49ers ( i had a shirt on, and this was when he was on them). Just super nice, and didnt seem annoyed.

I was out in Arizona for two weeks at the start of this month, and have to say some of the guys on your worst list were great with the fans.

I went to 10 games, and whether it was home or away... I saw some guys taking photos and signing items every day. Lillibridge, Anderson, Beckham, Fields, Marquez, and Getz seemed to love the fanfare. But one guy was far and away the best... Dayan Viciedo. I saw Viciedo sign autos and take pics all the time. He seemed to get in trouble a few times by visiting with the fans during the stretch pregame routine.

With all that being said, some guys are awesome all the time, and some guys seem to have some bad days.

I just hope they are all ready to get out of AZ and com back to Chicago.

gavin floyd was awesome. i talked to him in arizona in between innings. i was the only one that saw him and he came over to talk to me. lucas harrell is prolly goin to jail cuz i swear the girls he was flirting with were 16 years old. clayton richard was cool cuz i told him he was on my fantasy team and he ran over to sign my ball and had some jokes with me. harold baines was funny. carlos q did not look happy at all. i think the only reason he came over was because i said please. i thought lillibridge was nice and getz too. danks had no problem, poreda was cool too. brian anderson is cocky and buerhle ran away

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)
People wont believe me but... I met T.O. a while back and he was super friendly. I walked up to him and he shook my hand and we talked for a minute about the 49ers ( i had a shirt on, and this was when he was on them). Just super nice, and didnt seem annoyed.

I believe you. He's a Bama native like us, it's in there somewhere. I just think he's turned into a clown over time. McNabb was probably the one that caused all the problems in Philly.

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)

T.O. has to be nice to his fans.. they are the reason he IS T.O.

The coolest dudes I have met

Frank Thomas

Ray Durham

Mark Buehrle

Carlos Quentin

Scott Podsednik

Clayton Richard

Man soo Lee

Don Cooper

Jim Thome

southpaw

non sox

Mike Brown - Former Bear

Tyson Chandler - Former Bull

Pete Myers - Former Bull

Names added that I initially forgot about(thanks soxfan3530)

Norm van lier

Alex Brown

Bob Love

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)
Micah Schnurstein gave me one of his $200 gloves, Gio Gonzalez is just about the nicest, friendliest guy ever & Fernando Hernandez is very down to earth.

I am a reporter and the coolest/nicest guy i have ever met/interviewed was curtis granderson by a mile. even an hour after his game with the sox he sat there with me one-on-one and just shot the s*** for awhile. Other guys I have met, either through work or other that have been very nice include:

Norm Van Leer

Bob Love

Craig Hodges (from my hometown)

Jim Thome

Fergie Jenkins

Derrick Rose

Antwan Randle El

Frank Thomas

Ben Gordon

Tommie Harris

Rex Grossman

Alex Brown

Paul Maynard

Gale Sayers

Biggest Jerk: Brian Urlahcer... hands down.

I've seen Briggs, Dye, AJP, Rowand, Uribe down here in the last month. All were cool, I just say hello and Go Bears/Sox, or thanks in the case that they were a part of 2005.

I think you have to just approach as a quick hello, don't bother them with autographs or pictures. They don't owe you anything. If you make a lot of money, do you owe people your time and attention?

They are just people like us...

I've been collecting autographs and all that since I was young, and there have been plenty of jerks and nice guys. Rowand and AJ are near the top in terms of being nice guys as Sox players. Urlacher is a bit stuck up but is a nice guy. I've also met TO and he was cool, as was Peyton Manning. Konerko has always been "iffy" just like Big Hurt. Crede has never really loved the fanfare and neither has Uribe, in my experiences.

What about you guys?

Carl Everett. Willie Harris (he wasn't bad) took a picture of the two of us together in a San Diego mall food court.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
I was at the practice field one morning last week and AJP could not have been more cool, signing autographs and joking with fans. He's on the worst list? Hardly.

Yep.

A couple of years ago at ST, he was pulled from a game because he hurt his leg. As he was wobbling out to his car, still in his uni, he signed every autograph and tried to smile even though he was in obvious pain.