New Roster Cuts

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This leaves the CF issue still open between Wise/Anderson/Owens, still leaves the team with 2 backup catchers, and still has a few questions left about the bullpen and 5th starter (Colon, then the remaining group of pitchers: Carrasco, Richard, MacDougal, probably some others I am missing).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
Also, Nix to 15 Day DL, retro to 3/17.

That makes sense. Now they get a prolonged try out for Nix, which also serves as insurance for the play of Getz and Lillibridge to start the season. He also gets a full rehab stint now too.

I can understand why MacDougal made the team. He was good this spring, and he's making a couple million, or whatever.

If Egbert pitches well at AAA, he may find his way into the rotation at some point this year. It's pretty likely that will happen with Colon and Contreras around.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
I can understand why MacDougal made the team. He was good this spring, and he's making a couple million, or whatever.

If Egbert pitches well at AAA, he may find his way into the rotation at some point this year. It's pretty likely that will happen with Colon and Contreras around.

You have to consider Marquez, Poreda, and Richard in any fill-in starter spot too.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
Mac is gonna make the team. He has earned it though with a great spring. If he has good control, he can be lights out.

If MacDougal really is pitching well this year, it means the Sox can essentially bring in a closer in the 5th or 6th inning. That is very powerful, especially if we end up with kids in the starting rotation.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
Jerry Owens..............................................he gone

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....-white-sox.html

Wow. Who would have thought, at the beginning of ST, this would happen. Best for the team in any case.

And now that I think of it, this seems like it sets the bullpen jobs too - MacDougal and Carrasco get jobs, Richard in the pen or starting (based on Colon). If Colon can't go, I assume we'll get one of Egbert, Williams or Wassermann in the interim.

So really, just one open question left - backup C.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
I think Dwayne and Anderson can be a solid platoon in CF for us, but I hope KW is looking to strengthen CF around the deadline.

I hope, and think maybe, Anderson slowly takes the job full time from DeWayne, who would fall to a true backup role.

Owens is out of options so he has to clear waivers to go to Charlotte. I wonder if they are hoping that happens or are cutting the cord once and for all and I think he would have a choice of going to Charlotte or being released. I would imagine he would look at the White Sox OF situation and determine if he really could show he may be able to play, its probably his best chance at getting playing time eventually. Wise made it through waivers during the season last year.

Edited by Dick Allen