New Roster Cuts

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
To an extent, I am going to have to disagree with you guys.

I think many people "follow" a certain team, and even pull for them to win... but they are not fans.

Fans is short for Fantatics.

I follow the White Sox, attend 10+ games a year, I even root for the White Sox, but I am not a fanatic. I enjoy the watching and talking about baseball.

I do not have any autographs, I do not wear player's jerseys etc.

If I think KW/Ozzie/Whomever makes a bad move and inserts a player into the lineup, I will root for them to fail. I will be pleasently surprised if they succeed, but I will feel vindicated when it is June and Wise's OBP is sub 300.

Back to your regularly scheduled roster cuts discussion :gosoxretro:

You are a strange fan dude.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
He's not BA, but that's a good thing when he's got a bat in his hand.

There's very little difference between the two of them offensively except, you know, one of them is 4 years younger.

Kenny Williams is a f***ing clown. He actually managed to downgrade from Orlando Cabrera in the leadoff spot. The Sox were 3rd to last in OBP from the 1 and 2 spots last year in the American League (OAK and TOR were lower), inserting Dewayne f***ing Wise in the leadoff spot is only going to make that worse. Nothing quite like wasting the best full time 3 hole hitter in the AL last year, he's going to have very few RBI opportunities.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 06:57 PM)
im very glad owens is gone, but this is horrible news.... the fact that we plan to give the most ABs in the lineup to a 31 year old who has a career .254 obp and is a bad defender is a f***ing joke

This pitching staff doesn't exactly strike out guys so you need the best defense out there, especially with 3 new guys in your starting infield.

I don't think Wise is Swisher bad in terms of defense but if Ozzie cherishes the glove, BA is the much better choice.

Unless Wise takes undetectable 'roids, I don't see how a career minor leaguer that's 31 yrs old can suddenly morph into an everyday major league baseball player.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Kenny Williams is a f***ing clown. He actually managed to downgrade from Orlando Cabrera in the leadoff spot. The Sox were 3rd to last in OBP from the 1 and 2 spots last year in the American League (OAK and TOR were lower), inserting Dewayne f***ing Wise in the leadoff spot is only going to make that worse. Nothing quite like wasting the best full time 3 hole hitter in the AL last year, he's going to have very few RBI opportunities.

So much f***ing this.

I'm not a big fan of having Wise lead off, but I'm warming up to the idea of a Wise/Anderson platoon in CF.

Wise's career stats suck, but his splits against right-handed pitchers suck significantly less than his overall average. (Career minor league numbers against RHP: .278/.337/.485... .822 OPS)

And I believe this paves the way for Anderson to become the full-time CF sometime this year (if he hits respectably enough to earn it... which I think he will given enough at-bats).

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Allsox @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 03:50 PM)
This pitching staff doesn't exactly strike out guys so you need the best defense out there, especially with 3 new guys in your starting infield.

I don't think Wise is Swisher bad in terms of defense but if Ozzie cherishes the glove, BA is the much better choice.

Unless Wise takes undetectable 'roids, I don't see how a career minor leaguer that's 31 yrs old can suddenly morph into an everyday major league baseball player.

I'm no Swisher fan, but he was really not that bad of a defender... I'm not sure where people get this from. He was adequate. Not a plus, but not a liability either.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
I'm no Swisher fan, but he was really not that bad of a defender... I'm not sure where people get this from. He was adequate. Not a plus, but not a liability either.

There's a reason the Sox said he wasn't a CF anymore. There's also a reason he is behind Gardner and Cabrera in CF in NY. RAZR ratings aside, he is a bad CF. Not Mackowiak bad, but bad nonetheless.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
I'm not a big fan of having Wise lead off, but I'm warming up to the idea of a Wise/Anderson platoon in CF.

Wise's career stats suck, but his splits against right-handed pitchers suck significantly less than his overall average.

And I believe this paves the way for Anderson to become the full-time CF sometime this year (if he hits respectably enough to earn it... which I think he will given enough at-bats).

Except Dewayne Wise has officially been name the starting CF, there is no platoon. I'm wondering how Brian Anderson is supposed to prove anything as a bench player. And an OPS a little over .800 since 2005 against right handed pitching doesn't make me feel any better about Dewayne Wise in center, that's still awful (hell Anderson had similar minor league splits against righties).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
Except Dewayne Wise has officially been name the starting CF, there is no platoon.

According to Mark Gonzalez... which means nothing.

When Ozzie has been talking about this possibility in the last couple of weeks, he's been talking about starting Anderson against lefties.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
According to Mark Gonzalez... which means nothing.

When Ozzie has been talking about this possibility in the last couple of weeks, he's been talking about starting Anderson against lefties.

It's according to Cowley and he used the word "official". Also, 75% of the league is right handed.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
The CF position for the Sox is becoming like the QB position for the Bears.

I think the PF position on the Bulls is a better metaphor. They draft guys to fill that spot and either trade them away or block them so that they never develop, and then play people completely out of position to ensure that they don't. That metaphor will work when the Bears draft a QB and then never give them a shot because they keep signing Gus Frerrotte.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
If Wise is really the best we got, and Marquez isn't even making the damn team then we should of kept Swish.

Nix will play short during his rehab and will come up during the season to platoon, or lead-off and play short or second.

Swisher would look really good right now compared to the Wise.

Lillibridge and Wise are not MLB hitters right now. Lillibridge not yet and Wise never was. So much for the OBP out of the lead-off spot I wise they would just stop promoting that idea.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
Nix will play short during his rehab and will come up during the season to platoon, or lead-off and play short or second.

Swisher would look really good right now compared to the Wise.

Lillibridge and Wise are not MLB hitters right now. Lillibridge not yet and Wise never was. So much for the OBP out of the lead-off spot I wise they would just stop promoting that idea.

Swisher put up a .743 OPS last year. Wise put up a .742 OPS.

Really, this is the definition of the tallest midget argument.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
Swisher put up a .743 OPS last year. Wise put up a .742 OPS.

Really, this is the definition of the tallest midget argument.

And yet there was a 40 point difference in OBP. The biggest argument against OPS is that it treats OBP and SLG as equals when they're really not. OBP is so much more important.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
Swisher is almost certain to rebound.

I don't buy that at all. Last year was supposed to be his rebound year from a lackluster '07. In all likelihood, his numbers have dropped because he was a juicer in his best years, and hasn't figured out the HGH stuff yet.

Until I hear that Owens has been signed on by another team or decided to become a FA instead, I will not be satisfied. If Owens goes to Charlotte and does at least decent (which he likely will considering this is his 3rd or 4th year in AAA) and Wise does bad, guess who comes up in place of Wise.

However, Wise leading off and starting in CF is almost as bad as Owens leading off and playing CF. I think we all know what we can expect from Wise, a solid bench player, so lets hope Getz rakes and takes over the leadoff duties.