New Roster Cuts

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
Swisher is almost certain to rebound. Wise is almost certain to do what Wise always does, Suck.

Swisher sucks. He's had one really good year, but other than that, he hasn't been much better than decent, and last year he sucked balls. Perhaps there is a medium between last year and 07, but I'll still say good riddance. The guy is a bum.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
This is sincere...I hope Owens catches on elsewhere and has a good career. He seems like a great guy.

If he was 10 years older, the Dodgers might've taken a look at him to boost their offense.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
Swisher sucks. He's had one really good year, but other than that, he hasn't been much better than decent, and last year he sucked balls. Perhaps there is a medium between last year and 07, but I'll still say good riddance. The guy is a bum.

Not that I don’t enjoy your blind hatred of Nick Swisher, but perhaps you can give some proof that tells me he sucks. You’re relying way too much on what you saw last year, rather than the guy’s past performance

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
Not that I don't enjoy your blind hatred of Nick Swisher, but perhaps you can give some proof that tells me he sucks. You're relying way too much on what you saw last year, rather than the guy's past performance

Well, I'm assuming Swisher didn't change his approach at bat and rather pitchers adapted to him. And what I saw from Swisher last year was a guy with a horrific approach at bat. It's one thing to have a good eye and draw walks. It's another thing to stand there with you're bat on the shoulder letting pitch after pitch go by hoping for the walk.

I didn't see much of Swisher in the past, but if he changed his approach and swing from 06, he's f***ing stupid, and I doubt that's the case..

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
According to the Trib, Jack Egbert is going to the pen in Charlotte. Interesting. I wonder what they are planning for him? Long reliever? Closer?

Middle Relief / Long Relief I would have thought.

He could be the first guy who the Sox could turn to if Macdougal sucks again.

Also, very happy with the Owens news obviously, as I guess most around here are.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
that is strange. I wonder if as a pitcher you feel as if they are defining your role for the majors or if you feel like your value has been cut and days are numbered.

I'm guessing with Marquez, Richard, and Poreda probably in front of Eggy, they probably feel the best way he can help the team is in relief. It might be saving his career with the Sox as opposed to hurting it. He must have impressed someone if they are trying to make him a fit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
According to the Trib, Jack Egbert is going to the pen in Charlotte. Interesting. I wonder what they are planning for him? Long reliever? Closer?

With his solid spring, I would think the sox could be grooming Egbert as a 7th, 8th inning guy ala Linebrink. Or, more of a Scot Shields guy, who could go more than 1 inning. It'll be interesting to see how they use him in AAA.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 08:10 PM)
"Grinder ability" is an oxymoron.

I really disagree with this. To me grinder means a player who goes all out, gives everything they can on a play. I see no harm in that. It can slightly better a player, but really the player has to have talent for it to do anything.

My point is, a good player can be a grinder, and Ive seen it multiple times. Hell, I think of my playing days as being a grinder, and I was a four hitter who is 6 foot and weighs 230. I just ran as hard as I could, intimidated opponents if needed, ran into fences for catches. I would think of myself as lazy or uncaring if I didnt. Basically, being a grinder doesnt make you good, but it can help those who have talent.