Dewayne Wise Named Full-time Starting CF/Leadoff hitter

Kalapse

I was thinking Coco Crisp as well since we didn't do anything to upgrade. Let's see how he does in KC. We're certainly going to face him enough.

Oz certainly has a love affair with Wise. Let's see how long it lasts.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this comes down to have no better options in house. I think it is a good decision to keep Getz out of the lead off position for the beginning of the year to take some pressure off of him. I dont think we have a good pit/pa guy on the roster, I think Kenny will be working to find one as teams are clearing out space. Atlanta still has two more CF's that are a possibility in Blanco and Hernandez, Golson could probably be had as well, there are still optios available as teams set their lineups to go into the season. I also dont feel that our defense is any worse than last year with Swish/Griff in CF, and who knows, maybe Wise will have a Ryan Ludwick season? Ok probably not, but I will wait til the real games start to pass judgement.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 08:20 PM)
Hit .288 with us before Ozzie put him in the leadoff. It was too much for him, and sucked it up for the next 8 games with a .080avg. But that was only 8 freaking games until the end of the season that he blew. And it was after he got moved in the leadoff position in the middle of a freakin pennant race.

It was only 8 freaking games that he blew...

But he then turned it around by hitting .286 with 5 rbi's in the playofffs.

...but you are more than happy to use 8 freaking PLATE APPEARANCES as justice for why he's better.

Perhaps the reason he sucked in those 8 games in the leadoff role was not that he was forced into it and it was too much for him. Perhaps it was the fact that the league was adjusting to him and was figuring out how to pitch him.

In 43 1st half plate appearances, Wise hit .350/.372/.600/.972. Those were the first 43 plate appearances for him on the season.

In 100 2nd half plate appearances, Wise hit .202/.258/.382/.640. Those were after the league got some tape to look at.

You tell me which is the better sample size to determine what type of major league hitter Dewayne Wise is. The first 43, where no one knew what he was doing, or the next 100, when they had him figured out.

I don't like this move in the least, but I'm not nearly as worried about this simply because I don't think it is going to last long.

I love KW to death but this squarely falls on his shoulders. When you know your field manager, dislikes the better option in BA, and you keep around a player who only has an OBP of .254 lifetime(makes me want uribe back) and expect him to make the right move, then it's the GM's fault. Doesn't KW have control of the 25 man roster, it's Ozzie's job to do with it as he sees fit.Unfortunately, Ozzie is stubborn and hates BA. Wise should have been cut or sent to AAA, plain and simple. BA should have been given CF. If we want to say BA can't hit either, fine, just put out a higher OBP guy in CF since we know defense isn't important to the White Sox brass, see Jr Griff and Swish. Or trade for GMJ or Pierre and have 90% of their salary eaten by the Angels or Dodgers. Hell their lifetime OBP are better than Wise or BA. and each brings some other good attribute as well GMJ, gold glove caliber D and Pierre SB's. I know these options suck too, but they are better.

I still think that if Jordan Schaefer wins the Atlanta CF job, you go hard after Gregor Blanco.

Or even Reggie Willits. I'd much prefer Reggie Willits leading off for the White Sox than Dewayne Wise.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
I love KW to death but this squarely falls on his shoulders. When you know your field manager, dislikes the better option in BA, and you keep around a player who only has an OBP of .254 lifetime(makes me want uribe back) and expect him to make the right move, then it's the GM's fault. Doesn't KW have control of the 25 man roster, it's Ozzie's job to do with it as he sees fit.Unfortunately, Ozzie is stubborn and hates BA. Wise should have been cut or sent to AAA, plain and simple. BA should have been given CF. If we want to say BA can't hit either, fine, just put out a higher OBP guy in CF since we know defense isn't important to the White Sox brass, see Jr Griff and Swish. Or trade for GMJ or Pierre and have 90% of their salary eaten by the Angels or Dodgers. Hell their lifetime OBP are better than Wise or BA. and each brings some other good attribute as well GMJ, gold glove caliber D and Pierre SB's. I know these options suck too, but they are better.

Here's the problem with your argument...you don't know what happened behind closed doors. Perhaps Kenny did nothing and decided to see what would happen if you opened the competition up between Wise, Owens and BA. OR, he knocked on doors, picked up the phone and tried to find said lead-off hitter? It takes two to tango. Pierre is passed his prime and more expensive. GMJ is not a lead off hitter either and more expensive. Who are you willing to give up for the Dodgers or Angels to pick up 90% of said salaries? Floyd? Danks? Alexei? Because you are going to have to give up a proven or way high upside commodity for that to happen.

Enough with the hate people! The market did not dictate going out and spending money this year. What this says to me is that the organization didn't develop a lead-off hitter. Or can't. But, now with the change of direction in the minors, hopefully that will change.

To me, it's a lot harder to fault a GM for something they DIDN'T do, than something they DID do.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
Here's the problem with your argument...you don't know what happened behind closed doors. Perhaps Kenny did nothing and decided to see what would happen if you opened the competition up between Wise, Owens and BA. OR, he knocked on doors, picked up the phone and tried to find said lead-off hitter? It takes two to tango. Pierre is passed his prime and more expensive. GMJ is not a lead off hitter either and more expensive. Who are you willing to give up for the Dodgers or Angels to pick up 90% of said salaries? Floyd? Danks? Alexei? Because you are going to have to give up a proven or way high upside commodity for that to happen.

Enough with the hate people! The market did not dictate going out and spending money this year. What this says to me is that the organization didn't develop a lead-off hitter. Or can't. But, now with the change of direction in the minors, hopefully that will change.

To me, it's a lot harder to fault a GM for something they DIDN'T do, than something they DID do.

Give me a break. The Sox were very nearly the worst team in the AL in terms of OBP in the #1 and #2 lineup spots last year (3rd to last), borderline wasting the very best full-time #3 hitter in the league. Not only did he fail to upgrade these two spots but as it stands right now it looks like he managed to downgrade. Get creative, find someone, anyone that can get on base at a decent clip and maybe run a little to hit in at the top of the lineup, no excuses. Hell, he removed 2 players from the 2007 ballclub in Orlando Cabrera and Nick Swisher that are better top of the order hitters than what we have now. It doesn't take much to upgrade from Dewayne Wise, believe it or not these players do exist. I think he envisioned Jerry Owens or even more so Brent Lillibridge as his 2009 opening day leadoff hitters, unfortunately for him both proved this March that they're not major league quality hitters.

When you say things like this just 2 weeks ago then turn around and hand the job to a player who's nearly the complete opposite of what you've described you deserve as much criticism as the fans can muster.

"A lot of people get too hung up with stolen base totals," Williams said. "One of the reasons I got [scott Podsednik] was to steal bases, but he also came with an on-base percentage of about .350.

"The goal is to get to second base to get in scoring position. So a leadoff hitter who will hit you 30 doubles and then steal you, instead of 40 bases, maybe 15 [is fine]."

Williams said he is more concerned with his leadoff hitter setting a "tone of the game" by having intelligent at-bats and seeing a lot of pitches.

"So while it may not look as pretty on paper as team X, we can get your starting pitcher out a lot of times an inning before you want to have him leave," he said.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
Give me a break. The Sox were very nearly the worst team in the AL in terms of OBP in the #1 and #2 lineup spots last year (3rd to last), borderline wasting the very best full-time #3 hitter in the league. Not only did he fail to upgrade these two spots but as it stands right now it looks like he managed to downgrade. Get creative, find someone, anyone that can get on base at a decent clip and maybe run a little to hit in at the top of the lineup, no excuses. Hell, he removed 2 players from the 2007 ballclub in Orlando Cabrera and Nick Swisher that are better top of the order hitters than what we have now. It doesn't take much to upgrade from Dewayne Wise, believe it or not these players do exist. I think he envisioned Jerry Owens or even more so Brent Lillibridge as his 2009 opening day leadoff hitters, unfortunately for him both proved this March that they're not major league quality hitters.

When you say things like this just 2 weeks ago then turn around and hand the job to a player who's nearly the complete opposite of what you've described you deserve as much criticism as the fans can muster.

So, who's stepped up? By default...it's Wise. Who else could it be? Who out there is THAT much better? Obviously, both Swisher and Cabrera burned their White Sox bridges, so they are out. Pierre and GMJ, as I said, are expensive and don't have fantastic OBPs either. So, Kalapse...who? And can you tell me for sure that KW didn't kick the tires to see if they were available/teams could match up in a trade? I'm disappointed too, but Pods surprised all of us, and all of baseball, by having a good year. Who's to say Wise can't do the same for a year? He's never been a full-time anything...so don't give me his past numbers.

When guys like Josh Anderson and Chris Denorfia are out there on the trading block and available cheaply but are passed on, when Coco Crisp goes for a middle reliever but is passed on, when Willy Taveras is a FA and passed on, when Andruw Jones is available for the minimum but passed on, when Edmonds is a FA but passed on, when Kotsay is a FA but passed on, when guys like Gregor Blanco, Randy Winn, Melky Cabrera, and Mike Cameron are also available but passed on, then it really starts to look like the Sox felt all along that one or both of Owens and Wise were viewed as Major League starters in CF from the very beginning.

There are lots of ideas out there and I highly doubt the Sox couldn't put a deal together with anyone. It seems much likelier that they just didn't try. Some of these guys don't cost anything but a small bit of money; others make the minimum or just above and would cost a couple halfway decent prospects that wouldn't crack our top-10 and probably not even our top-15.

For those worried that BA will be buried on the depth chart...

Here we are one-day after 'the announcement'...

And Brian is starting in CF and leading off.

Today's Lineup (Tuesday vs. Colorado)

BA 8, Getz 4, Q 7, Thome DH, Dye 9, PK 3, AJ 2, Ramirez 6, Fields 5. MB pitching.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
So, who's stepped up? By default...it's Wise. Who else could it be? Who out there is THAT much better? Obviously, both Swisher and Cabrera burned their White Sox bridges, so they are out. Pierre and GMJ, as I said, are expensive and don't have fantastic OBPs either. So, Kalapse...who? And can you tell me for sure that KW didn't kick the tires to see if they were available/teams could match up in a trade? I'm disappointed too, but Pods surprised all of us, and all of baseball, by having a good year. Who's to say Wise can't do the same for a year? He's never been a full-time anything...so don't give me his past numbers.

Chris Getz.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)

Reagins and Coletti both have two CF options available at high salaries and everyone in the world knows they could never move either of them without eating huge chunks of their salary. Obtaining either of them would not cost much at all in terms of talent, you suggesting Floyd,Danks or Alexei needs to be traded to make this happen are just laughable. They are both unhappy campers and possible clubhouse cancers due to their lack of playing time. The Dodgers and Angels would both love to dump them for next to nothing. Getting back B or C level minor league talent would be fine as far as they are concerned. Throw in BA to be their new 4th or 5th OF option and I think both teams are satisfied.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
I still think that if Jordan Schaefer wins the Atlanta CF job, you go hard after Gregor Blanco.

Or even Reggie Willits. I'd much prefer Reggie Willits leading off for the White Sox than Dewayne Wise.

I'd definitely back a Blanco deal because the man can get on base. All he's done over the past few years is improve and he showed quite a bit in a large number of AB last season as a rookie. Don't know how much he'd cost though, but I'm guessing he wouldn't be very cheap. If he's a long-term option I'd be fine with giving up the talent to get him, so long as I could keep Beckham, Viciedo, Harrell, Allen, Flowers and Danks.

ANYONE. I don't know who was available because I'm not a f***ing general manager, throwing names out there would be a pointless exercise since each can be shot down with a simple "how do you know he was available? How do you know he didn't try?" All I do know is that it's his job to find competent players to fill the major roles on this club and plugging Dewayne f***ing Wise into an incredibly important role like leadoff hitter/centerfield (THE #1 DEFENSIVE POSITION ON THE FIELD) is a complete and utter failure.

How about this: Coco Crisp.

Comparing Scott Podsednik to Dewayne Wise is a joke, you do realize he was one of the better speedsters in the NL in 2003, right? Wise is a 31 year old failure. I don't know for sure that he'd fail but I have a damn good feeling, there's a pretty good track record to follow. Hell, Williams could have thrust Lillibridge, Pablo Ozuna or a 50 year old Rickey Henderson into the role and you could use that line. "How do you know Rickey will fail? It wouldn't be the first time an old guy had a good season."

I love the pompous KW quote you have there. Pods brings a .350 OBP. That's funny he did it one year before KW acquired him (in 2003) and in 2005 it was .351, the only other time in his career he had a .350 or above OBP in the major leagues. His career minor league OBP was .344. KW loves to secretly pat himself on the back while trying to sound humble every chance he gets.

There are no options with fantastic OBP available. None at all. But you can upgrade from guys who have OBP of .275 if you avg BA and Wise and getting a guy with a .330OBP looks like a huge upgrade in my books.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
For those worried that BA will be buried on the depth chart...

Here we are one-day after 'the announcement'...

And Brian is starting in CF and leading off.

Today's Lineup (Tuesday vs. Colorado)

BA 8, Getz 4, Q 7, Thome DH, Dye 9, PK 3, AJ 2, Ramirez 6, Fields 5. MB pitching.

There's no doubt in my mind that Brian will get a few chances to prove that he's not a leadoff hitter in the month of April. There's little doubt in my mind that Ozzie will be hitting him there against Francisco Liriano and Cliff Lee.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
KW is on record saying no one who was available was better than what the Sox had in-house. That means since Jerry Owens is waived, no one available was better than Dewayne Wise. Dewayne will have ample opportunity to show everyone how much smarter KW is than everyone else.

KW calls Billy Beane

Ring, ring, ring...

Beane: Yes?

KW: Hi Billy, I was wondering if Chris Denorfia is avail....

Beane: You insolent bastard!!!

(click)

So either that happened or Dewayne Wise is a better baseball player.

dmbjeff: If you want a team...ANY team to eat 90% of someones salary, you are going to have to give up A LOT. I don't care who it is. Any GM worth his salt isn't going to give another team a player, eat almost ALL of his salary and get a lifetime A ball player in return. Might as well just hold on to him.

Kalapse: You're right, you don't know. Ever. Until the season plays out. You can look at all the stats you want. While that's a good base point, that doesn't mean it's going to be that way. I'm certainly not saying Wise is the best choice. Nor am I saying he's going to be a .280/.340 guy. All I'm saying is...before we all freak the f*** out...lets see how it plays out. In another thread, I predicted Getz is going to be leading off by May-ish. So, that should tell you what I think.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
KW calls Billy Beane

Ring, ring, ring...

Beane: Yes?

KW: Hi Billy, I was wondering if Chris Denorfia is avail....

Beane: You insolent bastard!!!

(click)

So either that happened or Dewayne Wise is a better baseball player.

(Calls Back)

Beane: Who do you want?

KW: Denorfia

Beane: Give me Beckham, Allen, Poreda, and the Danks kid too.

KW: But that sounds-

Beane: I'm Billy F^&%#ing Beane

(hangs up)

KW: That man should never have written that book.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
(Calls Back)

Beane: Who do you want?

KW: Denorfia

Beane: Give me Beckham, Allen, Poreda, and the Danks kid too.

KW: But that sounds-

Beane: I'm Billy F^&%#ing Beane

(hangs up)

KW: That man should never have written that book.

Very possible, but it could have also gone like this:

(Billy Beane calls back)

ring, ring, ring....

KW: What?

Beane: I'm sorry I yelled...

KW:

Beane: What is it that you need?

KW: I'm interested in Denorfia.

Beane: Fair, very fair. He's available. How about Brian Omogrosso?

KW:

Beane: Kenny? Kenny, are you there?

KW: The man is like a son to me.

(click)