Dewayne Wise Named Full-time Starting CF/Leadoff hitter

Kalapse

Neyer not excited about Wise as our leadoff guy.

Wow. In the hierarchy of horribles, giving Dewayne Wise an everyday job is right near the top. He's got more than 500 plate appearances in the majors and a .254 on-base percentage. He did play exceptionally well in Triple-A last season, posting a .319/.402/.565 line in 55 International League games. But Wise has been mixing good Triple-A seasons with lousy ones for a long time; his career line at that level is .256/.308/.440.

Obviously, unless Wise has a really, really good excuse for his Triple-A performance, he's not likely to manage even a .300 on-base percentage in the American League.

As I wrote last week, Ozzie Guillen was not gifted with any viable options for center field this spring, and that's on Ken Williams. But just because Guillen has to choose from a list of unqualified players doesn't mean he has to stick a sub-.300 OBP at the tippy-top of his batting order.

I'm not going to argue that the White Sox can't win without getting anything from their center fielder. But it sure seems like an odd way to start the season.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
All I do know is that it's his job to find competent players to fill the major roles on this club and plugging Dewayne f***ing Wise into an incredibly important role like leadoff hitter/centerfield (THE #1 DEFENSIVE POSITION ON THE FIELD) is a complete and utter failure.

I am not doubting you... i just have seen nothing to suggest center is more important than shortstop (gonna exclude catcher as that is a given). I am currently going back and reading every defensive saber related article i have... plus searching for many more... and i come up with nothing. Inform me... as this has to be a recent school of thought.

I'm having a hard time looking back at everyone who always says, "Figgins? NAH, not good enough. Crisp? NAH, not good enough," etc. yet here we are with Dewayne f***in' Wise as our leadoff hitter. It really makes me laugh out loud.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
I'm having a hard time looking back at everyone who always says, "Figgins? NAH, not good enough. Crisp? NAH, not good enough," etc. yet here we are with Dewayne f***in' Wise as our leadoff hitter. It really makes me laugh out loud.

I've never been a fan of Crisp and would much rather have Anderson out there, but I KNOW he's an upgrade of Wise. Figgins was never available.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)

And this is what sparked my now infamous "Either be content with Jerry Owens or find another damn team to root for" statement. I knew this was coming.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
I've never been a fan of Crisp and would much rather have Anderson out there, but I KNOW he's an upgrade of Wise. Figgins was never available.

I don't think that was his point. Back in December/January, when there were all kinds of names floating around, nobody was good enough to play CF for us. Now here we are less than a week before the season, and everybody is going apes*** now that we're going with Wise. Don't get me wrong. I think it's a terrible move. Just kinda hypocritical to now shout to the heavens "ANYBODY WOULD'VE BEEN BETTER THAN WISE!"

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)
And this is what sparked my now infamous "Either be content with Jerry Owens or find another damn team to root for" statement. I knew this was coming.

Content- ''satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else''.

I do not believe i need to find another team because i do not meet those standards. Ludicrous.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
Content- ''satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else''.

I do not believe i need to find another team because i do not meet those standards. Ludicrous.

That's fine. But the gist of what I said was basically you can't spit on every guy that's out there then in the end say anybody's grandmother would be a better choice than Wise. I wanted Willy Taveras. And I'm sure we all know how that went around here (kennyprospects and caufield can surely back me up here).

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
It's still going to come down to pitching. Bonderman, Willis, Mauer and Hafner are either injured or ineffective, that gives us a huge leg up...if we would have just come out of ST w

How good can the pitching be if the defense is bad ? ERA's and WHIPS increase from plays not made that aren't errors. Floyd's ERA was pretty good last year but he gave up a ton of unearned runs often once that 3rd out wasn't caught.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
That's fine. But the gist of what I said was basically you can't spit on every guy that's out there then in the end say anybody's grandmother would be a better choice than Wise. I wanted Willy Taveras. And I'm sure we all know how that went around here (kennyprospects and caufield can surely back me up here).

I was totally against Willy Taveras, but had I known KW was serious about Wise in CF and leading off, Willy would have become one of my favorite players.

How good can the pitching be if the defense is bad ? ERA's and WHIPS increase from plays not made that aren't errors. Floyd's ERA was pretty good last year but he gave up a ton of unearned runs often once that 3rd out wasn't caught.

That's totally been my line of thinking throughout this offseason.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)

Its not only the unearned runs, with Quentin, Wise and Dye in the OF, there will be a lot of balls that a lot of teams make plays on that will be hits against the White Sox. If they really aren't going to add payroll and are serious about Wise and guys like Corky Miller, we all have to hope Anderson hits. Putting him in CF helps this team in so many ways. Hopefully, Ozzie won't be so stubborn as to lead him off against the tough left handers.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)

Yep, I'll back you. I did the same thing. Ugh, at least half of my posts on Soxtalk are arguing against Owens and Wise as starters in CF. It's not that I think Taveras and BA are awesome hitters or anything, it's that I like defense in CF. I argued in favor of Willy over and over because he was available for nothing and can play D, plus he has a track record. If Ozzie wants a speedy player in CF, fine, but put a guy out there who can play the position. I've argued against Coco Crisp in the past but that was because of his assumed asking price and I never thought the guy was worth a top prospect. But had I known he was going to be traded for a middle reliever, I'd have definitely supported an acquisition.

Personally, I'd be happy with BA out there but it doesn't seem like Ozzie wants to give him another extended chance. Anderson is not the type of guy you just stick on the bench and then hope he tears it up and forces his way into the lineup if he gets 3-4 starts in a row. That'll never happen with him; he doesn't have the swing for it. Either you put him out there for a couple months straight and see what happens, or you go out and get someone else who can play the position.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
Haha. Read the Chisox article. I could hear you guys screaming before you even read it.

This one?

PHOENIX -- It's not certain if general manager Ken Williams had Dewayne Wise in mind back at SoxFest when talking about the White Sox going with an atypical leadoff man for the 2009 campaign.

Now that Wise has been anointed as the South Siders' No. 1 hitter, though, the veteran outfielder certainly would fit that particular description.

Take a look at Wise's current Cactus League performance, as an example. Through 17 games played and 57 at-bats, Wise was hitting a solid .316. But his on-base percentage checked in at .322, since he had not drawn a single walk in 59 plate appearances.

Spring Training statistics don't exactly serve as an 100 percent accurate sign of things to come. This instance might be the exception to the rule, as Wise probably won't be taking five or six pitches with each trip to the plate. It just doesn't fit into the style that has made Wise successful over the past year with the White Sox.

"That's when I get in trouble, when I have to take a lot of pitches," Wise said. "Early in spring, when Ozzie was trying me at the leadoff spot, I was struggling a little bit because I was going up there taking pitches and falling behind in the count. Then, I was swinging at bad pitches and getting myself out.

"Then, Ozzie came to me and said, 'Look, just because I have you there in the leadoff spot, don't feel like you have to go up there and take five pitches every at-bat.' Don't get me wrong. I'm not going up there to swing at everything. But [Guillen] wants me to keep my aggressiveness."

More than a few benefits can be derived from Wise's specific leadoff style. He has plenty of speed, but also has more extra-base power than most first hitters. Wise produced a .596 slugging percentage this spring, with four doubles, three triples and two home runs.

Wise, 31, understands plenty of chances will be there to drive in runs with the potential running throughout the White Sox lineup, just as much as scoring runs from the top.

"With Alexei [Ramirez] and Josh [Fields] at the bottom of lineup, they are going to be on base a lot. So the opportunities will be there," Wise said. "I know I'll get pitches to hit.

"Ozzie talked to me yesterday and said he didn't want me to change anything. Just go out there and be myself and play my game. So, there won't be any changes. I'm just going out there and playing my game."

I think too many people are putting the White Sox defense under the microscope way too much.

Chill out.

I'm more than willing to cheer for Wise as the lead-off hitter, and I think he's the type of hitter we need. People need to stop expecting the Sox to get some Gold Glove caliber guy in Center Field. People may argue that Brian Anderson has a Gold Glove caliber glove, but I rather sacrifice defense for the offensive tools of Wise.

Also, I think our lineup is more than capable of compensating for our defense. C'mon. We got God, Dye, Thome, Alexei, and we should have a bounce-back year from Konerko, a big year from Fields, and another speedster in Getz. That's 7 guys right there, throw in the consistent production from AJ and the extra speed element from Wise, then I think we have the makings of a fun team to watch.

Be optimistic, everyone, and stop being a bunch of bellyaching wet blankets.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)
I think too many people are putting the White Sox defense under the microscope way too much.

Chill out.

I'm more than willing to cheer for Wise as the lead-off hitter, and I think he's the type of hitter we need. People need to stop expecting the Sox to get some Gold Glove caliber guy in Center Field. People may argue that Brian Anderson has a Gold Glove caliber glove, but I rather sacrifice defense for the offensive tools of Wise.

Also, I think our lineup is more than capable of compensating for our defense. C'mon. We got God, Dye, Thome, Alexei, and we should have a bounce-back year from Konerko, a big year from Fields, and another speedster in Getz. That's 7 guys right there, throw in the consistent production from AJ and the extra speed element from Wise, then I think we have the makings of a fun team to watch.

Offensive tools of Wise. He's a career .214 hitter with a career .254 OBP. The Sox would have been better off re-signing Juan Uribe and had him lead off.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)

Chill out.

I actually think it's about time we hear more about defense. All most of us usually care about is pitching and hitting. Where on this team do we have a known quality defender among the starters ?

Tampa Bay went from worst to first in 2008 in defensive efficiency. It's no coincidence the won the pennant.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Chill out.

You're kidding, right? We don't have much quality defense at all already, and you're willing to sacrifice a GG caliber CF for another bad hitter (AND defender)? Yeah, I don't know what "tools" you are referring to, seriously. Numerous people have already dropped the stats. The guy hasn't shown me any of these "tools."

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
KW calls Billy Beane

Ring, ring, ring...

Beane: Yes?

KW: Hi Billy, I was wondering if Chris Denorfia is avail....

Beane: You insolent bastard!!!

(click)

So either that happened or Dewayne Wise is a better baseball player.

Can KW be Stimpy and Beane be Ren?

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)

Chill out.

I'm still waiting for a valid reason as to why putting Wise as our leadoff man is a good idea. Or is your reasoning just "stop being a bunch of bellyaching wet blankets"?

Our defense is going to be scary bad next year until someone in our front office gets the memo that it's actually a pretty important aspect of the game, especially up the middle where we apparently feel content putting below average fielders.

Edited by Felix

I'm usually a pretty big KW defender, but... Wise starting in CF and leading off? Seriously? Come on.

Fortunately, I'm guessing that Getz leads off by late May, and Anderson overtakes Wise in playing time by June, hitting 9th. I just hope it happens much sooner than that.