Dewayne Wise Named Full-time Starting CF/Leadoff hitter

Kalapse

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
So are you saying that Abreu only got a one-year $5 million deal because he signed late, and that his age and eroding skills have nothing to do with it?

Yep, and that's exactly what the Sox did with Vazquez and Swisher. Thanks for proving my point.

Why are you comparing closer salaries to middle reliever salaries? Wood has actually succeeded as closer in recent memory. The Mets were able to over-pay Putz to be a setup man because they're one of about three teams that can still afford to over-pay players. That's a pretty narrow market. Putz is also a much better pitcher than Dotel, yet still makes less. Give me an example of a 7th-inning middle reliever who makes $6 million/year. And don't tell me that Dotel is a closer. He hasn't been a consistent and effective closer since his time in Houston. Hell, he couldn't even handle Linebrink's role as a setup man last season.

No idea, as I wasn't sitting in on the negotiations with the Braves. Maybe it's because the Sox have a depleted minor league system and the Braves weren't interested in anybody that Kenny was willing to part with. Maybe Kenny knows things about Josh Anderson that we don't. There could be a number of legitimate reasons.

One could easily turn this question around and ask any other major league GM why he didn't trade for Carlos Quentin last winter.

Yeah, and he really backed up your assertion by trading away three quality minor league players for Swisher last year, and then trading for Griffey mid-season. That's an incredible vote of confidence in Wise and Owens.

Kenny thinks that Wise and Owens are adequate players whose flaws can be overcome by Quentin, Thome, Dye, and Konerko. Because if he actually thinks that Wise and Owens are better options than Josh Anderson, he's a f'n moron. And almost everything that Kenny's done over the past five years suggests that he's pretty freaking smart.

Well, there's no team out there without some flaws. Any team in the division, we can pick apart and find 5-7 pretty obvious ones.

I don't think we can assume that someone that couldn't beat out Blanco or Schafer for CF is CLEARLY a better choice at CF than in-house options in terms of a platoon with Wise and BA. Also, there's no way some other viable options aren't shaken loose with the economy in the condition it is in today...it could happen this season as early as May/June as payroll and lagging attendance have owners putting pressure on their GM's to pare payroll even further.

As far as Dotel, there's not a viable comparison with Putz or Fuentes out there. I can't think of any 6th-7th inning relievers paid more than Dotel and MacDougal, except for those crazy contracts BALT made for Baez, Walker and Bradford, although they were at least able to spin Bradford off to the Rays.

Maybe Baez and Dotel would be a closer comparison, fwiw.

I think it was REASONABLE to think that Owens might be a better option that Taveras, because Taveras was coming off an injury, and his ST statistics were pretty nearly identical. Of course, head-to-head, he's a much better defender, but Owens/Anderson will give you better overall stats and comparable defense and SAVE $5-6 million or whatever Jocketty ended up overspending.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)
I think it was REASONABLE to think that Owens might be a better option that Taveras, because Taveras was coming off an injury, and his ST statistics were pretty nearly identical. Of course, head-to-head, he's a much better defender, but Owens/Anderson will give you better overall stats and comparable defense and SAVE $5-6 million or whatever Jocketty ended up overspending.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd take Taveras over an Owens/Anderson platoon. The problem with the latter scenario is that you get substandard defense and no power against RHPs, and horrible OBP against LHPs. Not that Taveras is a five-tool player or anything close to it, but the Owens/Anderson platoon presents a less complete player... if that makes any sense.

Considering the current market, I agree that Jocketty overpaid for Taveras. Very skilled player, but he's only put together two really solid seasons.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7262094.story

But wouldn't Wise/Anderson at a combined 750-800 OPS be better than Taveras at 675, with Anderson playing about 30-35% of the time?

Certainly from a cost standpoint, yes. OTOH, we'd definitely give up an extra 12-15 runs with Wise out there defensively so much.

a .750-800 OPS from anyone is better than a .675 OPS from anyone else. The problem is that neither Wise nor Anderson put up a .750 OPS last year, and there's no guarantee that either will put up even a .700 OPS this year.

I want Anderson simply because you'll get guaranteed good defense out of him.

So are you saying that Abreu only got a one-year $5 million deal because he signed late, and that his age and eroding skills have nothing to do with it?

Yes. It's very, very simple. Abreu was said to have been asking $15M/year all along. Teams didn't have that much money to spend so they passed. Then when there was no market left because teams met their budgets, Abreu signed for much less because he backed himself into a corner.

As far as Abreu's eroding skills, Pat Burrell got 2 years, $16M total and he's no defensive whiz either. And if you look at their careers, there's no question Abreu is the better hitter: .257/.357/.485 for Burrell vs. 300/.405/.498. Abreu also brings a ton more speed and he is a whopping 2 years older than Burrell. Burrell isn't exactly a spring chicken, and actually, Burrell's skill set is going to decline a hell of a lot faster than Abreu's will, because Abreu has the better swing and the better approach overall.

The ONLY REASON that Pat Burrell got $16M guaranteed while Abreu got just $5M guaranteed is because Abreu held out for more whereas Burrell and his team played the market well and took the first good offer.

Yep, and that's exactly what the Sox did with Vazquez and Swisher. Thanks for proving my point.

Nice job totally glossing over the point about the trades. The Sox spent more money on Betemit's arbitration and Viciedo's signing bonus and 2009 salary than they would have spent on Swisher, actually about a million more. Swisher's 2010 salary was not the reason the Sox dealt him. They dealt him because 1) they didn't want to put him in CF again, 2) he was in the manager's doghouse, 3) he sucked last year, 4) the Sox wanted to sign Viciedo, 5) the Yankees offered a fair package of talent. BTW, the Sox have Contreras, Dotel, Thome, and Dye all coming off the books after this year. I strongly doubt the Sox were freaking out about payroll in 2010 when they decided to move Swish. And actually, I'd bet anything that the decision to move Swish was made in September, well before the organizational meetings when the Sox got their budget.

As far as Javy goes, did you watch the team last year? Any Sox fan on the planet could have told you Javy was gone. Why pay $11M+ for a #4 starter when you feel you can get near or equal production peripheral-wise for the league minimum or close to it, AND get some very good talent in return in the process? Even if the Sox had a $200M payroll they still would have traded Javy's sorry ass out of Chicago. They chose to meet their budget by getting rid of Javy instead of getting rid of more valuable players. If meeting their budget is a salary dump to you, then I don't know what to say because you're obviously not getting it. The Sox had raises coming to several players and had lost sponsorships on top of it. The Sox still have over a $100M payroll this year. THEY ARE NOT IN SALARY DUMP MODE.

Why are you comparing closer salaries to middle reliever salaries? Wood has actually succeeded as closer in recent memory. The Mets were able to over-pay Putz to be a setup man because they're one of about three teams that can still afford to over-pay players. That's a pretty narrow market. Putz is also a much better pitcher than Dotel, yet still makes less. Your cherry-picking of Putz's stats last year (when he battled rib and elbow injuries) notwithstanding, Putz's '06 and '07 numbers completely blow away anything that Dotel's done in the past four years.

Give me an example of a 7th-inning middle reliever who makes $6 million/year. And don't tell me that Dotel is a closer. He hasn't been a consistent and effective closer since his time in Houston. Hell, he couldn't even handle Linebrink's role as a setup man last season.

Wow, you're defending Wood's contract now? If any reliever in baseball has a bad contract it is him because he can't stay healthy. Yet somehow he's got that closer tag on him and that makes it defensible? LOL.

Another LOL at you talking about me cherry picking a season where Putz was hurt yet you compare it to Octavio's last 4 years, much of which he missed after getting TJ surgery. And I don't see how you could say Putz is a better player than Dotel either unless you're just really anti-Dotel. At best they're even, but I'd say that's pushing it, considering Dotel is only 2 years older yet has pitched more than twice the amount of innings Putz has and has done it in some hitter-friendly places, unlike Putz who has spent his whole career in a pitcher's haven.

Dotel's career numbers: 708 IP, 3.76 ERA, 7.2 H/9, 1.2 HR/9, 4.0 BB/9, 11.0 K/9, 1.23 WHIP

Putz's career numbers: 323 IP, 3.07 ERA, 7.5 H/9, 0.9 HR/9, 2.9 BB/9, 9.4 K/9, 1.16 WHIP

And see, now you're grasping at straws talking about this "7th inning reliever" crap. It doesn't matter what role you are given on a ballclub. The Sox have Dotel working earlier than he's accustomed to because they have DEPTH in the back of their bullpen. Your logic here just fails horribly. Let's say the Mets want to sign Scott Shields to add even more to their pen next year. Because they would plan on having him work the 6th and 7th instead of the 8th, does that mean he should sign for less money? Does that mean his agent should all of the sudden only ask for a salary that run-of-the-mill middle relievers make? Nope. If you're a premier setup man who can close, you make that kind of money. Dotel made that kind of money in what happened to be a good market for relievers. Where he is in the pen is of no consequence whatsoever. Kenny wanted three big name righties in his pen so he went out and got them and paid the price they cost. If you think adding 2 right-handed setup men was excessive then that is your opinion, but your logic is terrible. Players do not get paid according to where the team plans on using them - they get paid based on career and previous year performances.

No idea, as I wasn't sitting in on the negotiations with the Braves. Maybe it's because the Sox have a depleted minor league system and the Braves weren't interested in anybody that Kenny was willing to part with. Maybe Kenny knows things about Josh Anderson that we don't. There could be a number of legitimate reasons.

One could easily turn this question around and ask any other major league GM why he didn't trade for Carlos Quentin last winter.

LOL once again on the Sox 'depleted farm system.' The system is better now than it has been in quite some time. It sounds like the Braves got basically the Tigers' version of Brian Omogrosso who doesn't even pop up on our top prospects lists. Kenny had MORE than enough talent to acquire Josh Anderson. He could have blown the Braves away without even giving up one of our top-10 guys. Maybe Kenny knows something about Josh Anderson that we don't? What would that be? He has been healthy all spring and I'm sure passed a physical at some point. This doesn't just begin and end with Josh Anderson. There are a ton of guys out there who are or would be making the league minimum and could have been had for little in terms of talent but weren't acquired.

Your comment about Carlos Quentin is equally absurd. It's not like the Sox weren't the only team talking to the D'Backs last year. It's not like the Sox were the only team in baseball knew of Carlos' potential. It has been admitted by the D'Backs that they were in talks with the A's for Haren at the time and the A's really wanted to pick up Chris Carter in the deal (which they did), so the D'Backs made the deal with the Sox. They could have had Cliff Lee but they passed because they wanted Haren. Nothing complicated there.

Yeah, and he really backed up your assertion by trading away three quality minor league players for Swisher last year, and then trading for Griffey mid-season. That's an incredible vote of confidence in Wise and Owens.

Carlos Quentin wasn't an MVP candidate when the Sox acquired Swisher. Remember how the "THE Carlos Quentin" stuff started out in mockery of KW? Jermaine Dye was coming off of a bad season where he was injured for the first half. Konerko was also coming off of a bad year, AND the Sox had no CF on top of that. Swisher was a guy they obviously liked and at the time it appeared he'd be a key cog on future teams and the Sox would end up moving him elsewhere around the diamond depending on how things shook out. The Sox did not acquire Swisher as the CF of the future.

As for Griffey, that was pretty much a non-factor. The Sox lost favor in Richar and didn't need him anyway given Alexei's emergence and Getz's solid career. Masset was a waiver candidate. You talk about the Griffey package like we gave up some great talent to bring him in, but actually we gave up very very little, and the only reason we gave up anything at all was to get the Reds to eat some salary. The Sox probably made up for a good portion of that simply through added ticket sales and jersey sales from fans who were excited to see Griffey in a Sox uniform. Talent-wise, that move was very small. The Griffey trade was about equal to claiming a mediocre middle reliever off of waivers from a performance standpoint.

Kenny thinks that Wise and Owens are adequate players whose flaws can be overcome by Quentin, Thome, Dye, and Konerko. Because if he actually thinks that Wise and Owens are better options than Josh Anderson, he's a f'n moron. And almost everything that Kenny's done over the past five years suggests that he's pretty freaking smart.

Kenny must think they're pretty good if he can pass on Josh Anderson and fail to invite Cook to even try out for the job. I agree that Kenny is smart, but he falls in love with his grinders. You shouldn't be surprised at all. Look at Darin Erstad starting for us. Look at some of these guys we've run out there. Just because the guy is smart doesn't mean he isn't prone to stupid, stupid, stupid decisions. There is no reason that Wise should be out there, same was true for Owens. It's not like he's even sacrificing defense for offense; he's sacrificing defense for speed on the basepaths, which is totally useless for a guy who can't even get on base. There is no excuse for a GM to do that. Hell, there isn't even an excuse for a 12-year-old to do that when making out a video game lineup. There are probably entire Little League teams right now sitting in dugouts eating candy bars wondering why in the hell Dewayne Wise is the Sox starting CF. It's the biggest no-brainer out there, yet Kenny misses it again.

If I'm going to give Kenny the benefit of the doubt at all, I'd still hang it on Ozzie. Maybe Ozzie told Kenny straight up that he doesn't want anyone else. Maybe Ozzie is the one that likes these guys and Kenny just decides to take a back seat. Either way, there's no excuse for it. We're talking about failing Baseball 101 here. We're talking about a decision that is as easy as deciding to pinch hit for your pitcher with the game on the line in the bottom of the ninth.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Maybe it's kind of a "myopia" with Owens where they just believed that he could turn the corner so much, they didn't think it was necessary to go out and get "insurance" for Jerry. We've seen this before when he went into 2006/2007 thinking he could magically pull relievers out off the streets for auditions and ended up with dubious moves like Nelson, Aardsma and Sisco that backfired in the end. Not offering arbitration to Riske. Cutting Javier Lopez lose to the Red Sox, where he magically ended up a contributing second-tier set-up guy for a couple of seasons.

Then again, they probably felt that Wise AND B. Anderson were the insurance if that plan failed, and the reason that KW didn't make another move.

I'd hate to think KW is so overconfident that the rest of the division is vulnerable again this year that he believes he can get away with almost anything and finally be celebrated as a genius for proving all of the doubters wrong...he doesn't seem to care about that too much. Then again, he keeps talking about it so much you wonder if he is still secretly dying for validation.

To tell the truth, I wouldn't be surprised if MacDougal actually has a better year than Dotel/Linebrink/Jenks (two of the three). Lillibridge could end up playing a huge role with this team, possibly another starting CFer and back-up plan that was considered preferable to the likes of Cook and Negron to those within the organization. Viciedo having success in the wake of Ramirez would really validate his going out on the limb with that contract. And he has the draft picks in his pocket to "prove" that he beat Cabrera and the Angels and ended up with the better deal in that trade as well. If Mike Mac makes another comeback from the dead, then the only "bad" contracts KW has to worry about going forward are Konerko for one season (possibly) and Linebrink for 2. When you compare that to "legendary" Dave Dombrowski poised to eat almost $50 million in contracts with Sheffield, Robertson and Willis, it's pretty easy to sautee KW for this one particular situation (along with Corky Miller, our back-up catching position is the biggest weakness right now IMO). And, as it turned out, KW was right and knew what he was doing with Contreras and Colon and wasn't ever thinking he would go into the season with more than one of the following (C. Richard, Marquez, Poreda, Egbert, Broadway) as his 5th starter.

It just doesn't have the feel of the type of year that someone runs away with the division early, especially as the Big 3 in the AL East will give all the Central teams fits this year and push everyone closer to to the .500 mark.

KW has still failed to make a huge mistake with one of our guys. Frank Francisco was an unfortunate loss, Ryan Sweeney or Carter or Cunningham could become serviceable major league starters, but he hasn't made a glaring mistake with a starting pitcher since the Ritchie move back in 2002, unless either Cortes, McCarthy, Gio or DeLosSantos become stars, and I don't trust the Royals to ever "improve" a pitcher going forward. That organization almost mismanaged Zack Greinke out of baseball altogether.

Edited by caulfield12

The internet era is amazing.

In the old days Sox fans just accepted the lineup put on the field and if there were complaints, they were in the neighborhoods, on the streets of the South side neighbors talking.

Now ... Wise is buried by his own fans big time. And he knows it evidenced by the story in one of the papers where it commented on all of Wise's critics.

Sports used to be more fun in the days of reasonable ticket prices and when if fans wanted to b**** they had to (and wouldn't) write a signed letter to the editor. Now it's bury the guy anonymously.

Wise may suck, but our skipper and GM think he's the best we've got.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:13 AM)
The internet era is amazing.

In the old days Sox fans just accepted the lineup put on the field and if there were complaints, they were in the neighborhoods, on the streets of the South side neighbors talking.

Now ... Wise is buried by his own fans big time. And he knows it evidenced by the story in one of the papers where it commented on all of Wise's critics.

Sports used to be more fun in the days of reasonable ticket prices and when if fans wanted to b**** they had to (and wouldn't) write a signed letter to the editor. Now it's bury the guy anonymously.

Wise may suck, but our skipper and GM think he's the best we've got.

I don't do it anonymously. People here know my name, where I'm from, and where I go to school, and I still say that Dewayne Wise sucks ass.

(good 4th outfielder though)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
Your value is what teams are willing to pay. Raul Ibanez got $11 mill over 3 years, and I'd say Dye is worth more than Ibanez is (though that deal also speaks to the Phillies stupidity). Adam Dunn got $10 mill, and I'd say Dye is a similar player to Dunn. Of course, Abreu got $5 million, and he's arguably a better player than Dye.

The point is, the Sox couldn't find a taker for Dye because of how much he cost financially and in terms of players. Teams were not willing to pay the $11 million for Dye while also giving up a very good player. I can guarantee you that there are teams around the league who would be willing to pay Dye $11 mill.

For Swisher, he got a utility player with some ability to start at 3B, a starting pitching prospect, and a relief prospect they liked more than the one they gave up.

For Vazquez, they got an up and coming catching prospect, a super utility player with the potential to start at SS, 2B, or CF (plus any other position around the diamond besides catcher), and two lower level minor leaguers with high upside.

I don't necessarily see what the problem is with the prospects they got back in return. Sure, they were looking to dump salary, but they got good packages back in return.

When I was down at minor league camp last week, I heard some interesting tid-bits. The scouts there were raving about Gilmore and shortly after I saw Gilmore turn on a pitch and put it over the fences in a minor league game. I also saw the big lanky lefty they acquired and the scouts were again raving about them. In fact, the Sox scouts were all very excited and we heard on a couple different ocassions that things are going to get fun again down in the Sox minor leagues as the talent level isn't even close to what it used to be and that it is going to be fun to watch these guys develop.

Also, another tidbit, but look for the Sox to pick up a starting pitcher for AA sometime shortly (if they haven't done so already). Not like a great prospect, more like a guy that gets waived who could come in and help down in AA.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
Also, another tidbit, but look for the Sox to pick up a starting pitcher for AA sometime shortly (if they haven't done so already). Not like a great prospect, more like a guy that gets waived who could come in and help down in AA.

Do they have room in the rotation down there?

I mean... right now, the potential starting situation looks sort of crowded as it is, doesn't it?

Poreda

Harrell

Ely

Santeliz

Rasner

McCulloch

Long

Dubee

Those are all guys who were primarily starters in 2008.

Who is a waiver player going to bump?

Edited by scenario

1. Ozzie awarded the CF position to Wise, but many believe Anderson will platoon against LH pitchers to provide a slight RH hitter vs LH pitcher edge. Similar logic for putting in Lillibridge.

2. Getz is untested in the major leagues with only a handful of plate appearances last season.

3. Lillibridge makes more sense as a lead-off hitter than DeWayne Wise or Getz. Putting Lillibridge in at second addresses the lead-off problem while alowing Ozzie to put Anderson in CF against LH pitching.

4. Lillibridge has more speed on the bases than Getz and has the ability to steal a few bases, which the Sox want to do this year if they can.

5. The Sox have Betemit to back-up Fields at 3B.

6. The Sox will want Alexi to play as many games as possible, whereas this is not a concern for Getz, who they should have no problem subbing for.

wOULD THE LINE UP CHANGE FRO EXAMPLE:

Wise

Getz

Quentin

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Ramirez

AJ

Fields

Against LH pitching:

Lillibridge

Ramirez

Quentin

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Fields

AJ

Anderson

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 10:34 PM)
^Sorry for the page-long post there. That thing is probably full of grammatical errors but I don't really give a f***. The logic is there, and anyone who disagrees can bite me. :)

I'm not have time to address every uninformed and incorrect assertion that you made above. What I will say is that if you think that closers and middle relievers have the same market value and that Dotel is has anywhere near Putz's talent, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
Did you watch spring training?

Getz is a better hitter than Lillibridge... period... against righties AND lefties.

Yes I know , I was just putting that out there. Is Getz going to play everyday and who will back him up on days off etc. ?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
I'm not have time to address every uninformed and incorrect assertion that you made above. What I will say is that if you think that closers and middle relievers have the same market value and that Dotel is has anywhere near Putz's talent, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Actually, KHP made some valid points. Please explain how Dotel doesn't have the talent Putz has, keeping in mind the age difference. Also, generally closers and middle relievers don't have the same value as closers, but that's not really a valid point in this discussion, given the large salary difference between Dotel/Linebrink and decent closers that've hit their free agent years.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
Yes I know , I was just putting that out there. Is Getz going to play everyday and who will back him up on days off etc. ?

I'm guessing that Getz will end up with 500+ at-bats as the Sox everyday 2B... and that Lillibridge might end up with around 1/2 that many (250'ish) as a utility guy backing up at 2B, SS, and if needed CF.

Lillibridge has to start looking better at the plate though. Otherwise he could end up moving to Charlotte when Nix is healthy.

Lillibridge really has no business making a major league roster based on his bat alone, lucky for him he's versatile. He's still sitting at a 1/23 BB/K ratio for the spring which makes his .253 AVG shockingly high given his .356 BABIP. He's also shown very little base stealing ability going 1/3 in SB so far. Dewayne Wise and Brian Anderson leading off will be bad enough, sticking Brent Lillibridge at the top of the order would only exasperated matters (though I doubt this will keep Ozzie from trying it out). It's a shame this team has no other utilityman options (I guess until Nix gets back) because Brent belongs in AAA.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
I'm guessing that Getz will end up with 500+ at-bats as the Sox everyday 2B... and that Lillibridge might end up with around 1/2 that many (250'ish) as a utility guy backing up at 2B, SS, and if needed CF.

Lillibridge has to start looking better at the plate though. Otherwise he could end up moving to Charlotte when Nix is healthy.

I just wanted to get some thoughts on that. Not that it matters, I belive he'll serve well as an ulity perhaps at SS or CF . And just might get called down to Charlotte when Getz is healthy any way...

QUOTE (almagest @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
Please explain how Dotel doesn't have the talent Putz has,

You're kidding, right?

Putz

2006: 0.919 WHIP, 36 saves

2007: 0.698 WHIP, 40 saves

Dotel hasn't had a season like that since 2003, before undergoing Tommy John surgery. Putz suffered a hyperextended elbow and rib cage injury last season. Unlike reconstructive elbow surgery, neither of those are expected to affect Putz over the long-term.

Also, generally closers and middle relievers don't have the same value as closers,

Huh?

but that's not really a valid point in this discussion, given the large salary difference between Dotel/Linebrink and decent closers that've hit their free agent years.

If he were a FA this winter, Dotel wouldn't have made anything near to the $5 million that Putz garnered. Putz is younger than Dotel and has been a MUCH better pitcher (when healthy) in recent years.

Edited by WCSox