Dewayne Wise Named Full-time Starting CF/Leadoff hitter

Kalapse

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
A note for DBAH0 & JPN mainly; Jordan Schafer has officially won the Braves starting CF/leadoff job so Gregor Blanco will start the year in AAA.

I would be a lot more excited if blanco was anything special. He walks well and that is the end of his game offensively. Don't get me started on his stealing ability.

How about baseball reference with the upgrade? Much smoother looking.

Edited by qwerty

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
You're kidding, right?

Putz

2006: 0.919 WHIP, 36 saves

2007: 0.698 WHIP, 40 saves

Dotel hasn't had a season like that since 2003, before undergoing Tommy John surgery. Putz suffered a hyperextended elbow and rib cage injury last season. Unlike reconstructive elbow surgery, neither of those are expected to affect Putz over the long-term.

Dotel was 29 in 2003. Putz was 29 in 2006. That's why I said to be careful of age when comparing them, since at the same age, they had similar seasons:

Dotel

2002: 0.873 WHIP, 6 saves

2003: 0.966 WHIP, 4 saves

2004: 1.184 WHIP, 36 saves

Dotel also pitched in a way more hitter-friendly park during his age-comparable stretch, at a time before the steroid controversy and testing caused power numbers to drop off.

Huh?
Whoops. Meant middle and late inning relievers, not closers. My mistake.

If he were a FA this winter, Dotel wouldn't have made anything near to the $5 million that Putz garnered. Putz is younger than Dotel and has been a MUCH better pitcher (when healthy) in recent years.
The financial market certainly has something to do with that. Putz also signed his contract in 2007, not 2009. What do you think Putz would've gotten if he WAS a FA this off-season, especially considering he's not even the closer for the Mets now?

Again, if you compare Putz and Dotel at the same ages, I don't think you can say Putz is/was much more talented than Dotel.

1) Dotel is at least five seasons removed from the time when he was closing...

2) Dotel also had at least 2-3 seasons prior to that time where he was either on the shelf due to injury/surgery or rehab

3) Putz, even though it was more it was "only" with the M's that he closed, is perceived by others more to be like a Fuentes type than he is a 7th inning guy...even though K-Rod is obviously the man right now for that team, at least for the conceiveable future

Leadoff update: Guillen says he isn't worried about the leadoff spot, even if Dewayne Wise fails, because he has confidence rookie Chris Getz can do the job.

"Getz is going to get you consistently good at-bats," Guillen said of his No. 2 hitter. "How much is he going to hit? Well, we're going to find out."

Guillen thinks the Sox are improved in center with Wise and Brian Anderson sharing the duties.

Richard ready as insurance: Guillen is leaning toward starting Bartolo Colon ahead of Jose Contreras as the Sox's No. 4 starter. That will be sorted out sometime after the two veterans pitch in Saturday's exhibition finale against Arizona.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

The latest article about Wise says the White Sox don't want him to change his approach. They don't want him to take more pitches or try to draw more walks. I guess its one of those " don't mess with what got you here" type of things. I would think a guy with a .214 career average with a .254 career OBP might want to try another approach.

It seems even the White Sox are certain how this is going to go. Why are they even bothering? Why does Wise have to prove the obvious and be a disaster, perhaps costing the White Sox a precious win or 3 before they put him where he belongs?

If Wise can hit .280-.290, then we can live with him at the 9 spot, but not leading off...he just doesn't walk enough.

The only real candidates for the top 2 spots should be Getz/Ramirez and eventually Beckham.

I think the back-up plan (Plan B, Plan A would be trade or waiver wire or Edmonds) would be moving Alexei back out to CF.

Remember, the Twins are starting the season without Mauer, Baker (although supposedly Liriano was miffed he wasn't the OD starter, so Baker agreed to take the hit for the team and go on the DL for a short stint but not really miss a start) and possibly Morneau with his iffy back.

Maybe they are just saving Baker and Liriano for the White Sox the 2nd series?

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
I would be a lot more excited if blanco was anything special. He walks well and that is the end of his game offensively. Don't get me started on his stealing ability.

How about baseball reference with the upgrade? Much smoother looking.

Yeah they had a Beta version of the new site available for a few weeks now, this new version is pretty incredibly. A LOT of new information/numbers available, there really is no better reference site on the net, I find it shocking that people still use ESPN or Sportsline for individual player statistics.

QUOTE (almagest @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 12:29 AM)
Dotel was 29 in 2003. Putz was 29 in 2006. That's why I said to be careful of age when comparing them

Yeah, Dotel is past his prime and Putz is still in his. Yet another reason why nobody wanted to pick up Dotel's $6 million this year.

since at the same age, they had similar seasons:

Dotel

2002: 0.873 WHIP, 6 saves

2003: 0.966 WHIP, 4 saves

2004: 1.184 WHIP, 36 saves

You're quoting numbers from 4+ years ago, which aren't relevant to what Dotel is projected to do in 2009. Dotel also put up these numbers PRIOR to undergoing reconstructive elbow surgery. CLEARLY, Tommy John surgery has had a permanent and negative impact on Dotel's pitching.

The financial market certainly has something to do with that.[/b] Putz also signed his contract in 2007, not 2009. What do you think Putz would've gotten if he WAS a FA this off-season, especially considering he's not even the closer for the Mets now?

Absolutely. No way that Dotel gets $6 million/year in today's market. I have no idea what Putz would've gotten as a setup man. I don't think that he would've signed as a setup man if he were a FA anyway. I'm thinking that Putz would've garnered maybe two years, $8 mil as a closer in this market, with Dotel getting maybe one year at $3 mil (one year due to his age and injury history).

Again, if you compare Putz and Dotel at the same ages, I don't think you can say Putz is/was much more talented than Dotel.

I agree with this. Before the elbow surgery, Dotel was a f'n bad-ass. But I don't see how that's relevant to their current ability and market value.

"What's the big deal? He's only guaranteed to leadoff an inning once a game."

The rallying call of the baseball retarded. I'm looking at you Scott f***ing Merkin who just compared Dewayne f***ing Wise to Grady f***ing Sizemore.

Merkin should be sentenced to do Bristol Sox games with Bill Melton for six weeks this summer...wow, that would be both a snoozefest and a laugh a minute. The sad fact is that Bender was so much more obviously prepared to discuss the White Sox than either one of our guys when they appeared on the audio broadcast. I ALMOST would have preferred Mariotti doing the games, seriously.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
The rallying call of the baseball retarded. I'm looking at you Scott f***ing Merkin who just compared Dewayne f***ing Wise to Grady f***ing Sizemore.

Wow. Talk about losing one's journalistic credentials...

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
I agree with this. Before the elbow surgery, Dotel was a f'n bad-ass. But I don't see how that's relevant to their current ability and market value.
You said Dotel was nowhere near Putz talent-wise. I thought you meant for their whole careers, which I don't agree with. Obviously Putz is better right now, even given his mediocre season last year.

The new articles today just prove that Ozzie & KW are not the idiots most here made them out to be. Wise is just keeping the seat warm for Getz. They just prove what I orginally thought, they just want to be a little cautious with Getz being a rookie. And it's perfectly understandable with how much they have invested in him so far, and the hope they have for him in the future. Getz will be leading off in a month or two, with Wise/Anderson moved down. This is not gonna decide the division, it was all a big fuss over ABSOLUTELY nothing.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
The new articles today just prove that Ozzie & KW are not the idiots most here made them out to be. Wise is just keeping the seat warm for Getz. They just prove what I orginally thought, they just want to be a little cautious with Getz being a rookie. And it's perfectly understandable with how much they have invested in him so far, and the hope they have for him in the future. Getz will be leading off in a month or two, with Wise/Anderson moved down. This is not gonna decide the division, it was all a big fuss over ABSOLUTELY nothing.

Exactly what was our cushion last year for the division championship. And this is the same brain trust that wanted to have Owens start last year, and have Q on the bench. Only a bad groin kept that abomination from happening. I understand, you don't like Anderson. But lets stop with the idea that our braintrust is infallible.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)
The problem is not just with Wise leading off--the problem is also that he is our starting centerfielder.

I have much less of a problem with him being the starting CF, or even a platoon CF, than I do with him leading off. If Anderson and Wise are hitting 9th as a platoon to start the season, I'm dramatically less angry about Wise playing that day.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
I have much less of a problem with him being the starting CF, or even a platoon CF, than I do with him leading off. If Anderson and Wise are hitting 9th as a platoon to start the season, I'm dramatically less angry about Wise playing that day.

I agree with this.

I also think it's insane not to give Ramirez far more ABs than he will get if Ozzie hits him 8th. Ramirez had the 4th highest OPS, 4th highest slugging percentage, and second highest batting average on the team. He was ahead of Paul Konerko in all 3 categories. Konerko should drop down in the lineup, not Ramirez. If you aren't going to hit Ramirez first or second, then he should hit 5th or 6th, next to Dye.

I'd tend to go with this kind of lineup

R SS Ramirez

L 2B Getz

R LF Quentin

L DH Thome

R RF Dye

L C Pierzynski

R 1B Konerko

R 3B Fields

R/L CF Anderson/Wise (with Anderson getting more play b/c of his defense)

I'd make Konerko earn his way back up the lineup, and at most I'd flip him with AJ. But if Fields hit better than Paulie, I might move Fields up to 6th and drop Konerko to 8th.

Sure, Ramirez is not ideal at the top b/c he doesn't walk and his .317 OBP isn't good. But it's still way better than Anderson/Wise. It still gives you the speed at the top. And I think Ramirez still has tremendous upside. He was hitting above .300 until he tailed off late. Plus, having Ramirez hit leadoff is going to give you a consistent player at the top. Someone in the lineup every day.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
They think it's too much pressure. I don't. I think being a starting infielder for the Chicago White Sox puts pressure on you--if you can handle that, then leadoff duties should be no sweat. Is he not going to feel pressure batting 2nd?

No. Q hits 3rd, and his awesomeness projects to the spots around him and absorbs fear in a bell curve shaped pattern.

I think we are being a little too video game minded with this whole Getz situation. Mind you, I'm not advocating defending or rationalizing Wise as our starting CF or leadoff hitter, OKAY, TO READ WHAT I SAY AFTER THIS YOU NEED TO SIGN THAT YES YOU UNDERSTAND THAT FACT, but:

Getz is a human, and it's not like a video game where if a guys an 81 contact hitter with good batting eye you can put him anywhere and that'll translate. We know little of the mental makeup of Getz, and perhaps with Ozzie there every day around him, he may actually know more about starting him off. The sox waited a long time to name Getz the 2nd even when it had become pretty clear. He may be someone they think needs to focus on getting good at bats, and hitting in front of Q means he's going to see a lot of fastballs, I think his confidence will build and then he'll move into the first spot of the rotation.

Unfortunately, Ozzie's same judgment is likely the reason Wise is leadoff, Wise seems confident and respected in the club house, and that is probably the reason they feel he can lead off. Talent be damned.

I agree that Getz may end up at the top eventually. But there are some reasons to leave him 2nd for a while. He's a lefty, so you get righty, lefty, righty, lefty at the top (if you drop Wise/Anderson to 9th). You'd want him to sacrifice in more situations than you would want other #2 options to do so. As a lefty, he'll have a hole to hit on the right side if someone is on base. Little things.

If they don't hit Ramirez lead off, then they should consider moving Fields up, with Ramirez 5th or 6th, and Konerko dropped to the bottom of the order.

But, ultimately, I don't think the lineup makes all that much difference. They key to the Sox chances, as usual, rests in their starting pitching and bullpen. If we get what we got out of Floyd and Danks again (or better), and Buerhle is his usual solid self, then the season could rest on how well Contreras/Colon pitch. Not sure we need both to shine. If one does, we should win the division because I don't see anyone else having 4 quality starters. Pavano in the 3 hole? I don't get why everyone likes the Indians. Perenial underachievers (looking at their run differential, they always win fewer than they should). I think the Tigers will be back, frankly. Shoring up their D will help their pitching, and their offense will not start so slowly again.

It's a wild division, but I see it:

Sox

Tigers

Indians

Twins

Royals

Everyone will be close enough to .500 that it could be anyone's to win.

I think the season really all rests on Colon and Contreras' shoulders. If they aren't improving on Vazquez/5th last year, I don't think we win the division. We'll still be around 85 wins, but they need to push us to 92 or greater, I think.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
I think we are being a little too video game minded with this whole Getz situation. Mind you, I'm not advocating defending or rationalizing Wise as our starting CF or leadoff hitter, OKAY, TO READ WHAT I SAY AFTER THIS YOU NEED TO SIGN THAT YES YOU UNDERSTAND THAT FACT, but:

Getz is a human, and it's not like a video game where if a guys an 81 contact hitter with good batting eye you can put him anywhere and that'll translate. We know little of the mental makeup of Getz, and perhaps with Ozzie there every day around him, he may actually know more about starting him off. The sox waited a long time to name Getz the 2nd even when it had become pretty clear. He may be someone they think needs to focus on getting good at bats, and hitting in front of Q means he's going to see a lot of fastballs, I think his confidence will build and then he'll move into the first spot of the rotation.

Unfortunately, Ozzie's same judgment is likely the reason Wise is leadoff, Wise seems confident and respected in the club house, and that is probably the reason they feel he can lead off. Talent be damned.

So if you're not defending Wise as the lead off hitter, but think Getz might not be able to do it, who should leadoff?