Dewayne Wise Named Full-time Starting CF/Leadoff hitter

Kalapse

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
Kenny Williams just 2 weeks ago:

In what f***ing world does this describe Dewayne Wise? He of the .254 career major league OBP, .309 career minor league OBP, low minor league doubles total and well below average pitches per plate appearance numbers.

That's some two faced bulls*** right there.

Kenny needs something supernatural to happen in order for Wise to be good at anything as a starter. Maybe we can take up a collection and hire a Voodoo doctor to travel with the team and shake his Voodoo stick at Dewayne whenever he leaves the dugout.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
And yet the only information we have on this is from Cowley and Gonzalez.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

FWIW, here's Scott Merkin's version of the story...

Owens likely out; Wise, Anderson in

Center-field candidate says he was put on waivers; duo to split time

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The White Sox roster has been all but set as of Monday, following six moves announced by the team.

It's the one move that was not announced, though, which carries the greatest weight.

Jerry Owens, one of the three candidates for the team's center-field job at the start of Spring Training, told reporters he was put on waivers, meaning he has 48 hours to be picked up by another team or be outrighted to Triple-A Charlotte. That move also means Dewayne Wise and Brian Anderson will share center-field duties, with Wise being told by manager Ozzie Guillen that he will lead off and play center on Opening Day against the Royals.

with Wise being told by manager Ozzie Guillen that he will lead off and play center on Opening Day against the Royals.

That's all I heard to until this thread. If it's just for opening day, and they are still platooning, then I don't have a problem with it.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
^^^^^^^^^^^^

FWIW, here's Scott Merkin's version of the story...

Owens likely out; Wise, Anderson in

Center-field candidate says he was put on waivers; duo to split time

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The White Sox roster has been all but set as of Monday, following six moves announced by the team.

It's the one move that was not announced, though, which carries the greatest weight.

Jerry Owens, one of the three candidates for the team's center-field job at the start of Spring Training, told reporters he was put on waivers, meaning he has 48 hours to be picked up by another team or be outrighted to Triple-A Charlotte. That move also means Dewayne Wise and Brian Anderson will share center-field duties, with Wise being told by manager Ozzie Guillen that he will lead off and play center on Opening Day against the Royals.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what Ozzie says.

Now on the Sun-Times website:

Wise gets nod as Sox' starting CF/leadoff man

March 30, 2009

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

From the "Inside the White Sox" blog:

Dewayne Wise was called into the office this morning and told he will be the leadoff hitter and starting center fielder to begin the year. It will not be a platoon situation with Brian Anderson as first thought with Jerry Owens being waived.

Owens cleaned out his locker today after being told he would be waived. It won't be official until Wednesday.

Unbelievable. Seriously, WTF is the point of keeping BA on this team if you're not going to give him the spot he deserves? I mean, this movie was obviously a possibility, but that doesn't make it any less stupid. Jesus, just put BA out there. His offense isn't going to make the team that much worse than what it is now.

I just don't think I can defend this organization's f***-ups anymore. This offseason has been one of the most dreadful I've ever seen.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
Unbelievable. Seriously, WTF is the point of keeping BA on this team if you're not going to give him the spot he deserves? I mean, this movie was obviously a possibility, but that doesn't make it any less stupid. Jesus, just put BA out there. His offense isn't going to make the team that much worse than what it is now.

He really doesn't "Deserve" the spot. He hasn't been that great this ST or in his past outings. Even as one of his defenders, he hasn't "Earned" the spot any more than Wise has right now.

I can totally go with a Wise/Anderson platoon in CF to start the season. Couldn't care less. See if it works. The mistake is not who's playing CF. The mistake is putting our backup CF who is filling the starting role in the leadoff slot over a guy who actually has done a little bit in the last year + to suggest he deserves it, in Getz.

He really doesn't "Deserve" the spot. He hasn't been that great this ST or in his past outings. Even as one of his defenders, he hasn't "Earned" the spot any more than Wise has right now.

You can't possibly believe Wise deserves to be in CF anywhere NEAR as much (at ALL, even) as BA...

As far as Leadoff, I think I'd rather see Getz than anyone else.

Edited by TheBigHurt

Wise is gonna get exposed rather quickly.

Bad players have gone on to have a decent/magical season throughout the history of the game, though the list is rather minimal. I wish wise produces, but when he doesn't, it will be a blessing in disguise (in the eyes of the organization, not the fans). Given the proper playing time (which the sox will be forced into... whether they like it or not... as i said wise will be exposed quickly) it will be hard for anderson to not to outproduce wise.

The reason sox do not want to ''rush'' getz into the leadoff spot has to be because of his career .261 average and.696 ops in that role in 716 at-bats. In the two hole he hit .332 with a ops of .835 in 361 at-bats. I am extremely confident in him because of the level of his swing, and his eye has been above average every at every stop. The strike zone can be taught... but it is easily one of the last things to be fully acknowledged, and the vast majority still never get a true understanding. Getz has an ability literally no one else of the roster possesses.

Getz will likely be leading off right around a month into the season... while wise tries his damndest to lose his job entirely.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
You can't possibly believe Wise deserves to be in CF anywhere NEAR as much (at ALL, even) as BA...

As far as Leadoff, I think I'd rather see Getz than anyone else.

This spring, Wise is hitting .302 with 3 triples, 2 homers, and 10 RBI. Anderson's hitting .283 with 4 homers and 9 RBI in more at bats, fewer total bases. And frankly, Anderson didn't look good for quite some time to start the Spring. I'll tolerate a platoon until i'm convinced it isn't working or I'm convinced one of them is outplaying the other in real games.

I just don't want to see them anywhere near the leadoff spot.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
the situation is what it is... no matter what w sox need contact guy with speed get on base ... everyone knows after first inning that its not gurantee he will start of an inning later in the game

But that #1 hitter will always get the most PA of any hitter in your lineup and hit in front of your best offensive players. It has nothing to do with leading off the inning.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
This spring, Wise is hitting .302 with 3 triples, 2 homers, and 10 RBI. Anderson's hitting .283 with 4 homers and 9 RBI in more at bats, fewer total bases. And frankly, Anderson didn't look good for quite some time to start the Spring. I'll tolerate a platoon until i'm convinced it isn't working or I'm convinced one of them is outplaying the other in real games.

I just don't want to see them anywhere near the leadoff spot.

Still waiting for Wise to draw a f***ing walk.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)

I just don't think I can defend this organization's f***-ups anymore. This offseason has been one of the most dreadful I've ever seen.

????

Overreaction much? Most dreadful you've EVER seen?

Holes in the bottom of the rotation: Count back healthy, pick up vet Colon

Battle for 2B: Getz declared winner, great organizational decision

Trade both Swisher and javy: get a good return for both, Yanks cant pay a team to take Swish.

Minor league system continues to be solidified, youth injected into major league ballclub=success

Only major hole is CF/Leadoff, which will probably be half solved with Getz. Also nobody from the Sox has come out and declared Wise the full time starter, so I'd hold off judgement till at least April is halfway done.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
I put the over/under for that at around 2 months.

i give it May 15th. If Wise hits the way we all know he will, ozzie will get him out of there just like he did Swisher, but Wise wont get as much leeway as Swisher did because he doesnt have the respect that Swisher HAD at the time he was named leadoff CF.

I think BA comes in more and more late in April and ends up being the 9 hitter while Getz leads off. JMO

f***ing irresponsible...

Getz should be leading off and Anderson playing FULL time in Center. f*** this whole not wanting to rush Getz by putting him in the lead-off spot. He's no less qualified to lead off than Wise, and the lead-off hitter, more times than not, only leads off once per game anyway.

I want to see the excuse for Wise come May, when he's still leading off and hitting in the low .200's