Prospect scandal may lead to immigration issues

Balta1701

This seems particularly noteworthy for the Sox since we're already concerned about Wilder having falsified some of these guys's ages.

Commissioner Bud Selig has given Major League Baseball's security division an open checkbook in an attempt to clean up off-field scandals in the Dominican Republic and other foreign countries.

Major League Baseball has officers in the Dominican Republic who are cooperating with the FBI in at least two major scandals involving the Chicago White Sox and Washington Nationals involving falsified birth records, kickback scandals, and smuggling of performance-enhancing drugs that evaded security -- and former Sen. George Mitchell's investigation into the use of PEDs in MLB -- until recently.

One MLB official estimates that there are more than 70 young players who are being detained in the Dominican and other countries, and one club official said it is his understanding "there are some big so-called prospects on the list."

If the players are found to have falsified their names, birth dates or other information, they may not clear immigration.

"It's no different from any other immigration situation when it comes to American jobs," one general manager said.

The Commissioner's Office became heavily involved in these matters when White Sox personnel director Dave Wilder was found to have smuggled cash into the United States, and the resulting investigation revealed a major scandal involving kickbacks of cash that was supposed to be bonus money paid to teenage prospects.

According to security sources, White Sox general manager Ken Williams was "distraught" by what happened, and opened every team computer and book to MLB investigators. Team owner Jerry Reinsdorf was outraged because of what had been done to poor players from Latin countries, and reportedly has been a driving force, along with Selig, in trying to solve these problems.

Someone can move this to PHT if you think it belongs there.

Juan Silverio, age 21, was arrested yesterday in Santo Domingo while trying to leave the country to start the season for the Chicago White Sox Class A Affiliate Kannapolis Intimidators. Attempts to reach officials with the White Sox were unsuccessful.

Not a real news item, just something like what we may read very soon.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)
Juan Silverio, age 21, was arrested yesterday in Santo Domingo while trying to leave the country to start the season for the Chicago White Sox Class A Affiliate Kannapolis Intimidators. Attempts to reach officials with the White Sox were unsuccessful.

Not a real news item, just something like what we may read very soon.

Close, but I'd make a slight adjustment:

Jose Miguel Dias, age 30, and Rafael Luis Perez, age 21, were arrested yesterday in Santo Domingo while trying to leave the country. Traveling together, investigators are said to have found in excess of $3200USD cash and more than one kilogram of cocaine in the suspects' luggage. According to an anonymous source, Dias has been working as a dancer for Arizona nightspot Club Burn. Perez, believed to be Dias' lover, is a professional baseball player in the Chicago White Sox organization under the alias Juan Silverio. Attempts to reach officials with the White Sox were unsuccessful.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
Close, but I'd make a slight adjustment:

Jose Miguel Dias, age 30, and Rafael Luis Perez, age 21, were arrested yesterday in Santo Domingo while trying to leave the country. Traveling together, investigators are said to have found in excess of $3200USD cash and more than one kilogram of cocaine in the suspects' luggage. According to an anonymous source, Dias has been working as a dancer for Arizona nightspot Club Burn. Perez, believed to be Dias' lover, is a professional baseball player in the Chicago White Sox organization under the alias Juan Silverio. Attempts to reach officials with the White Sox were unsuccessful.

What the f***...

Edit: Guess I should have read the whole thread. Definitely thought that was real at first.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
NorthSideSox probably should have saved his post for tomorrow. Would have been a good one.

CRAP! I wish I had thought of that.

Not many people read this forum though, I suppose I could put it in PHT and most people wouldn't know.