Why MacDougal?

greg775

Why is MacDougal on the team?

I haven't followed spring training closely once again. Has he a new windup? New command?

MacDougal is simply awful.

Please tell me he's changed his whole approach. I simply can't believe he's able to pitch without walking people galore and throwing the ball to the screen.

But a funny thing happened on his way to the discard pile. Following the announcement of six roster moves made by the White Sox on Monday, the right-hander had earned his way on to the 25-man-roster to start the 2009 campaign. 'Earned' is the key word in this situation, with MacDougal's 19 strikeouts ranking him in the Top 10 among American League Cactus League pitchers.

"MacDougal earned a spot," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of the wiry right-hander. "He [threw] the ball well when he had to, when he need to. He really stepped it up and did a tremendous job the last four or five outings he got."

"He was not on this team to start Spring Training," said White Sox general manager Ken Williams in a matter-of-fact tone concerning MacDougal. "But he pitched his way on."

Not sure if that answers your question.

We take a look, if things go well maybe we can make a deal with him and then see a young guy

If things go really well, then it's a win

If things revert to bad, we see a young guy

In my view he's not keeping out anyone who is blistering awesome AS WELL as being well suited for relief, so we'll go with it.

Good post Tommy. That answers my question.

Mac I'm sure will be on a short leash. He is not one of Oz's past favorites.

One or two horrific outings out of the gate might be it for him.

p.s. Did Boone Logan make a roster this spring? I disliked him equally.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 02:15 AM)

Ya, logan is the first lefty out of the pen.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
We take a look, if things go well maybe we can make a deal with him and then see a young guy

If things go really well, then it's a win

If things revert to bad, we see a young guy

In my view he's not keeping out anyone who is blistering awesome AS WELL as being well suited for relief, so we'll go with it.

agreed. we don't have any young bullpen arms that are breaking down the doors to get into the majors so I personally want to see what he can do. we are a bit short on quality righties in our pen so it definitely strengthens the team to have him performing well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 03:15 AM)

Logan was traded to Atlanta in the Javier Vazquez deal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 03:15 AM)

Vazquez, Logan, Swisher. All 3 guys you hate, all traded this past offseason.

I've been a vocal critic of MacDougal's. His motion is such that he will always have control issues, and his makeup is just not mature or strong enough to be a late game reliever. But, there is no doubt he's got phenomenal "stuff", when he can at least sort of locate it. And he pitched very well this spring, and in fact did earn the job.

I still think we see him gone, by trade or demotion, by June. But I hope I'm wrong.

I don't understand why it is so difficult to believe that he can regain his form. Why is it assumed that he will stay awful now that he has been awful, but not that he can pitch well when he did in fact pitch well for a while a few years ago?

The logic makes little sense to me...

Because there hasn't been an "Adam Russell" or a "Boone Logan" this spring training (unless you consider Randy Williams I guess).

It's why someone like Juan Cruz would have been a nice acquisition if you didn't have to give up draft picks for him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
I don't understand why it is so difficult to believe that he can regain his form. Why is it assumed that he will stay awful now that he has been awful, but not that he can pitch well when he did in fact pitch well for a while a few years ago?

Its not a question of if he will fall apart, but when. He could hold up for most of the year, he has before. This guy has been very good before. At the All Star break in 2003 he had 24 saves and a low 2's ERA, and was a legit all star. He fell apart in the second half and had only 3 saves. He also was great with the White Sox in 2006. Maybe he's like Cliff Politte in 2005 this year. He has as much abilility as anyone, and as long as he can throw strikes, he is a big part of the bullpen.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
Because there hasn't been an "Adam Russell" or a "Boone Logan" this spring training (unless you consider Randy Williams I guess).

It's why someone like Juan Cruz would have been a nice acquisition if you didn't have to give up draft picks for him.

I actually think the bullpen will be a strength this year. Its got a very solid 4 or 5 in the back when it counts - no need to spend tons of money on the other couple guys, who are just cleaning up anyway. Having a couple of MacDougal/Carrasco/Egbert/Williams/Wassermann/Russell is just fine.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)

Just look at his motion. He'll always struggle to find control. That's the reason we released Andy Sisco, who is another guy that if he could ever control himself would be lights out in the pen.

Mac has been locating his slider and dropping it over for strikes which is why he made the team. It's weird, but right now it's working. I hope that if he starts out doing very well we can deal him to the NL and pick up a prospect while dumping his salary and dumping his 2010 buyout. I think that would be a blessing. Besides, Jhonny Nunez looked like he's not too far away this spring. Then we have guys like Harrell, Link, Derek Reodriguez, Egbert, Omogrosso, etc. who have never been given shots in the Majors and maybe one of those guys can step up if need be. I'm cautiously optimistic about Mac, but I wouldn't trust him for a full season.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
Just look at his motion. He'll always struggle to find control. That's the reason we released Andy Sisco, who is another guy that if he could ever control himself would be lights out in the pen.

No it wasn't. We released Sisco because he blew out his arm, Tommy John IIRC, and wound up still on the DL when he ran out of options.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
No it wasn't. We released Sisco because he blew out his arm, Tommy John IIRC, and wound up still on the DL when he ran out of options.

You could also blame the lack of innings for a guy who has a funky motion, with a ton of moving parts. He really was a guy who needed to learn his release point and be able to repeat his motion, and that wasn't going to happen buried as a rule 5 guy in the back of a bullpen. The Tommy John surgery was just the last straw for the Sox. They needed the spots for guys who could help them soon.

I have been watching the MacD's stats this Spring and I believe I mentioned the real possibility he would make this team. If he can do the job more power to him. We have herd many times from the Sox staff about his "stuff" and maybe he is putting it together.

I just find it odd that we would root for the guy only so that he will increase his trade value. I would understand if it was a guy whose ceiling was low and had absolutely no chance to be solid, but that isn't the case here. He has shown the ability to pitch well before, and for sustained periods, so I'll cheer for him to do so for us this season.

We need all the help we can get.

I said "a roster." I realized his sorry ass wasn't on the Sox anymore. Why do some get so pissed at discussion on here? It's like if you dare start a new thread you are going to be flamed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)
I said "a roster." I realized his sorry ass wasn't on the Sox anymore. Why do some get so pissed at discussion on here? It's like if you dare start a new thread you are going to be flamed.

?

Who's flaming you?