Owens clears waivers...

JPN366

How can a guy go from penciled in at leadoff for a contender, to 61 spring training at-bats later he is clearing waivers?

The only way I could stomach Kenny's handling of the position this offseason was thinking that he honestly believed an Owens/Anderson platoon was better than the available options. Then to cut a guy 61 at-bats later makes this hard to believe, then on top of that no other franchise would sign Owens for the minimum???

If my 18 year old secretary was asked to sum up my feelings in a text message she would send:

WTF KENNY!!!!

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
How can a guy go from penciled in at leadoff for a contender, to 61 spring training at-bats later he is clearing waivers?

The same way a guy clears waivers the year before, and is later penciled in as a leadoff hitter/CF for said team.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
The same way a guy clears waivers the year before, and is later penciled in as a leadoff hitter/CF for said team.

This situation is dripping with irony.

Well, we really need Anderson to turn it on now, lest we go from Wise to Owens in the f***ing leadoff spot.

Which is just so frustrating. If this was a crappy team anyway, then hell, who cares. But this is a team that, other than CF, looks like a contender to me. Ugh.

This clutters up the Charlotte outfield. Now they have Cook, Restovich, Kroeger, Owens, Raines Jr., Negron & possibly Gartrell. I guess this means Negron and Gartrell return to B'ham for 2009 & Raines Jr. is possibly cut outright.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
This clutters up the Charlotte outfield. Now they have Cook, Restovich, Kroeger, Owens, Raines Jr., Negron & possibly Gartrell. I guess this means Negron and Gartrell return to B'ham for 2009 & Raines Jr. is possibly cut outright.

Gartrell, Cook, Kroeger and Negron are the only ones who POTENTIALLY will get a whiff of the majors after 2009 with the White Sox.

Negron has actually gotten quite a few appearances this ST, more than any of them but Kroeger.

Restovich and Raines are just filler.

Owens is just insurance in case KW can't find ANYONE else in the entire world, but I can't see them going to him unless he's hitting .350 with a .425+ OBP and 85% conversion rate on stolen base attempts (or an injury to Wise/Anderson).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)

Owens is just insurance in case KW can't find ANYONE else in the entire world, but I can't see them going to him unless he's hitting .350 with a .425+ OBP and 85% conversion rate on stolen base attempts (or an injury to Wise/Anderson).

I hate Owens, I puke at even the idea of him starting 100+ games in CF, and I really am not trying to play devil's advocate when I say:

Owens HAD to be the plan right? Or at least an Owens/Anderson platoon?

If so, what the hell did he do any differently this spring training than he has in the past? In fact I thought he looked better in CF than ever... Is this the first time Kenny actually watched him play??

If Owens was the plan, what happened in his 61 at-bats to warrant cutting him in favor of a player with zero upside who somehow is even a worse defender???

I know he had 10-11 walks, his OBP wasn't actually that horrible. I think there were 3 reasons:

1) Lack of success/aggressiveness/burst on the basepaths and even running to first (where Getz and possibly Lillibridge looked a step faster)

2) Lack of hard contact and rolling too many balls into easy 4-3 outs that didn't put any pressure on the defense...only about 5-10% of his balls were hard hit, period

3) Lack of anything resembling an arm...Wise is at least "decent" in this area

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 07:43 PM)
I hate Owens, I puke at even the idea of him starting 100+ games in CF, and I really am not trying to play devil's advocate when I say:

Owens HAD to be the plan right? Or at least an Owens/Anderson platoon?

If so, what the hell did he do any differently this spring training than he has in the past? In fact I thought he looked better in CF than ever... Is this the first time Kenny actually watched him play??

If Owens was the plan, what happened in his 61 at-bats to warrant cutting him in favor of a player with zero upside who somehow is even a worse defender???

I think Kenny truly believed that one of Owens/Lillibridge would have a solid spring and justify being given the leadoff job (especially Brent, I think he had HUGE expectations for him). Nothing has changed I'm sure Kenny Williams is just as irrationally enamored with Jerry Owens today as he ever was, the problem is he and Ozzie just could not justify giving the starting CF/leadoff job to someone who looked as clueless/nonthreatening at the plate as Owens did this spring.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)
Gartrell, Cook, Kroeger and Negron are the only ones who POTENTIALLY will get a whiff of the majors after 2009 with the White Sox.

Negron has actually gotten quite a few appearances this ST, more than any of them but Kroeger.

In all my stumping for David Cook, I forgot that Miguel Negron is a CF who hits leadoff. He was the Barons MVP in 2008. Plus, he's absolutely hilarious.