• Yes, and start him in center
    • Yes, good depth.
    • OMG No all he does is strike out
    • Results

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
This is such a ridiculously bad idea. He had a hard enough time playing LF.

It is ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the current situation. I've disliked Pods as much as anyone, and probably longer than everyone here, but Dewayne Wise? Look at his baseball card.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
It is ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the current situation. I've disliked Pods as much as anyone, and probably longer than everyone here, but Dewayne Wise? Look at his baseball card.

I agree, he's better than what we currently have, and no worse. He's defiantly not the best in CF I've seen, but I've also seen way worse. And I disagree with whoever thinks Swisher is a better CF'er than Pods...maybe if the ball is/was hit RIGHT AT Swisher, but he has no range...bah, Swisher sucks...bad.

Besides, Pods helped us win a WS, so he has a lot more leeway with me than any of these others...a LOT more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)

IMO, Pods is not better than Wise at all. At least there's still hope of a competent defensive person playing the position right now.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
You cannot say that with a straight face that you think ozzie believes that.

Also, i think it is just about time to give up on blanco, he is not going anywhere in the immediate future, nothing really suggests that much.

Defense has always been a premium for the Sox.

Wise isn't a gold glover by any means, but he is better than Podsednik and the likes of Mackowiak who we've had before for starters.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 07:07 AM)
+1

I still have faith in Reggie, so far this spring .278/.395/.361 in 36ABs as for Blanco .174/.269/.304 in 23 AB this spring

obviously small sample sizes but over their careers thus far

Willits .273/.379/.319 good for a 698 OPS in 583 career ABs

Blanco .251/.366/.309 good for a 675 OPS in 430 career ABs

Now's the perfect time to get Willits. He's stuck behind an OF of Abreu, Hunter, Guerrero, Matthews Jr. and Juan Rivera.

His numbers were terrible last season because he only got about 100 AB's.

He makes perfect sense for this team right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
Wise is not competent defensively, that's the other rub on this whole situation.

He's not, but he's still better than Podsednik in CF IMO.

Remember how much we complained about Pods playing LF also.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
Defense has always been a premium for the Sox.

Seriously? We don't have a single guaranteed above average defender on this club and last year's team was one of the worst defensively in the game. We've trotted out nothing but below average defenders in CF since Rowand left (sans Anderson). This is a horrible defensive team, if they truly put a premium on defense then they're even more incompetent than I thought.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
Seriously? We don't have a single guaranteed above average defender on this club and last year's team was one of the worst defensively in the game. We've trotted out nothing but below average defenders in CF since Rowand left (sans Anderson). This is a horrible defensive team, if they truly put a premium on defense then they're even more incompetent than I thought.

They brought on Cabrera last season who's one of the better defensive SS's in the game (albeit he replaced Uribe, but that was more down to Uribe's terrible offense).

And obviously Fields is a downgrade at 3B, but it's not like Crede had his best defensive season out there last year either.

Getz should be decent enough at 2B, while Ramirez is the wildcard at SS obviously ebcause no-one knows how he's going to do.

My point is, in the past they have placed a premium on defense, but most of the top defensive guys like Crede and Uribe were your low OBP high SLG guys, and the Sox already have enough of those, so they've replaced the ones they can and probably downgraded on defense because of it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
Like we didn't do the same with Wise last September/October? He looked clueless out there.

He put up a RZR of .857 last season in LF and .917 in CF.

Albeit it's obviously a very small sample size but the league averages were;

LF - .853

CF - .896

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
He put up a RZR of .857 last season in LF and .917 in CF.

Albeit it's obviously a very small sample size but the league averages were;

LF - .853

CF - .896

And his UZR/150 was -16.8 in CF and -15 in left which fits perfectly as to what we saw last year.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
They brought on Cabrera last season who's one of the better defensive SS's in the game (albeit he replaced Uribe, but that was more down to Uribe's terrible offense).

And obviously Fields is a downgrade at 3B, but it's not like Crede had his best defensive season out there last year either.

Getz should be decent enough at 2B, while Ramirez is the wildcard at SS obviously ebcause no-one knows how he's going to do.

My point is, in the past they have placed a premium on defense, but most of the top defensive guys like Crede and Uribe were your low OBP high SLG guys, and the Sox already have enough of those, so they've replaced the ones they can and probably downgraded on defense because of it.

So what you're saying is that back in say '05 they put a nice premium on defense with above average defenders at 3B, SS and CF but now put more of a premium on offense since they've replaced those players with lesser defensive talent (with "lesser" being a very, very generous word) with more offensive upside (sans Wise)?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
Wise is not competent defensively, that's the other rub on this whole situation.

More competent than Pods, but I was alluding to Wise falling on his ass and BA taking over on more of a full-time basis. I don't see Ozzie letting that happen with Pods out there.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
If only for the nostalgia, yes, bring him back. Start him in center too. An armless hooker is as good defensively in center as Wise so what the hell.

Best avatar on the site and best post in this thread.

You are 2 for 2.