BEARS GET CUTLER!!!

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard harry syaing something about this on the afternoon saloon and i remember from college that cutler was supposed to go to illinois....either illinois took his scholarship away or they only wanted him if he would play safety...either way i know it was under turner so hopefully theres no strained relationship, but i dont forsee it being a big deal

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
However...

Are Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal better than Tory Holt and Devin Hester?

Lovie's Rams connection might just pay off twice this offseason. Gotta make Holt happen.

They're still better than Holt and Hester...

Im actually fine with the price tag, its even a little less than I thought Broncos would get. I thought they could probably get a 1 and 2 this year plus a 1 next year from some team (not necessarily the Bears.)

Cutler is young but far more proven than any QB you could draft. When you think about how much teams have paid to get Vick or Eli, its really what the market has been set at. Giants gave 2004 1st and 3rd round, plus 2005 1st and 5th round, to move up 3 spots to select Manning at 1. The Falcons traded their 2001 1st (5th over all) and 3rd, along with 2002 2nd and Tim Dwight, to move from 5th to 1st.

The Bears trade is about on par with this, especially when you consider that; 1) Bears first draft pick is significantly lower than top 5 (the other trades all included top 5 picks) and 2) Jay Cutler has already proven that he is a capable NFL starter.

The value is good for the Bears, the Broncos had to give up a 3rd rounder just to trade up from 15 to 11 to get Cutler.

I can remember when this whole rift started and I thought that the Broncos would be forced to trade Cutler. Glad it happened.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
Im actually fine with the price tag, its even a little less than I thought Broncos would get. I thought they could probably get a 1 and 2 this year plus a 1 next year from some team (not necessarily the Bears.)

Cutler is young but far more proven than any QB you could draft. When you think about how much teams have paid to get Vick or Eli, its really what the market has been set at. Giants gave 2004 1st and 3rd round, plus 2005 1st and 5th round, to move up 3 spots to select Manning at 1. The Falcons traded their 2001 1st (5th over all) and 3rd, along with 2002 2nd and Tim Dwight, to move from 5th to 1st.

The Bears trade is about on par with this, especially when you consider that; 1) Bears first draft pick is significantly lower than top 5 (the other trades all included top 5 picks) and 2) Jay Cutler has already proven that he is a capable NFL starter.

The value is good for the Bears, the Broncos had to give up a 3rd rounder just to trade up from 15 to 11 to get Cutler.

I can remember when this whole rift started and I thought that the Broncos would be forced to trade Cutler. Glad it happened.

Very solid points there.

Let me re-iterate how great this trade was for the Bears.

Did they pay a hefty price? Sure. However, they also had a ton of stock-piled draft picks this year. Here's how their list works, including traded picks.

X 1-18 - Traded for Cutler

2-17

X 3-20 - Traded for Cutler

3-35 (comp for Berrian)

4-19

5-13 - Acquired with Cutler

5-18

6-17

7-20 (Brian Griese trade)

7-37 (comp for Ayanbadejo)

7-42 (comp for Gilmore)

So in the damn end, we dealt a 1st rounder and broke even on 3rd rounders. Thrown in is next year's 1st which JA would screw up, and Kyle Orton, who is unneeded. It was a brilliant trade, and any busted-ass pissed off analyst like Mark Schlereth who wants to tout that the Bears gave up too much because he's mad Cutler wanted out of his precious Broncos does not have the facts straight.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
Schlereth said the Bears lost both OT's so that won't make Cutler happy. Ummm...what?

Technically it's true. Miller and St. Clair aren't with the Bears any more. That won't make Cutler happy. It'll make him extraordinarily happy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 08:40 PM)
Technically it's true. Miller and St. Clair aren't with the Bears any more. That won't make Cutler happy. It'll make him extraordinarily happy.

tait you mean, miller was a back up....its also possible the bears upgraded both positions with williams, pace, shaffer and omiyale

Edited by daa84

Denver easily won this deal, I don't know how you can argue that..

And before the Bears fans get their panties in a wad, Cutler is awesome and it was a deal the Bears had to do seeing as they haven't had a good QB in ages.. They paid a hefty price, and im not saying it was a bad deal for them but Denver is going to make out better in the long run from it.

Denver now has four first round picks over the next two drafts and an extra third this year for a guy they obviously didn't want anyways. They have plenty of ammo now to restock their team with high end talent, while the Bears still need another WR.

And once again, its great for the Bears they needed Cutler.. but Denver got an excellent package for him

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
Denver easily won this deal, I don't know how you can argue that..

Franchise QBs don't grow on trees...there isn't a fan base more familiar with this saying than Chicago. When is the last time a team traded a 25 year-old Pro Bowl QB coming off of a 4500 yard season?

McDaniels is pretty full of himself if he thinks he needs a QB more suitable to fit what he's trying to do...After Denver goes 4-12 this year, McDaniels may be looking for a new job.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
As for the price, if this trade works out how we all hope it does, next years 1st rounder will be a low pick, so well worth it.

If the Bears improve on this year's performance...the pick could be in the 20-25 range. The Bears aren't giving up as much as people are making it out to be.

I'm as big of a proponent of the draft as anybody, but don't kid yourself...a franchise QB is worth a lot more than what the Bears had to give up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
I just checked the data...turns out that Denver had more rushing yards and more ypc than Chicago did last year by quite a bit. They were at 4.8 ypc, 12th in the league in rushing yards total.

Now of course, one can certainly argue that they were able to rush more because their offense was more open with a solid QB, wasn't facing 8 man fronts, wasn't regularly going 3 and out because they had the ability to convert on 3rd down. They may not have had a premier back, but they picked up quite a bit more yardage than the Bears.

I heard Dan Reeves on the raido and he was talking about the Broncos rushing attack and that the yards might indicate that the Broncos had a bit of a rushing attack but that every opponent ignored Denvers running game and did all it could to stop Jay and that it was incredibly impressive that Cutler was still able produce. Reeves went on to say one of the toughest things to do in the NFL is throw the ball sucessfully for an extended period of time when everyone in the league knows your going to.

This was in response to a question from the talk show host asking whether Cutler was over-rated due to him being in a pass oriented offense. Reeves basically said not at all and that he had all the tools to be a great one.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
However...

Are Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal better than Tory Holt and Devin Hester?

Lovie's Rams connection might just pay off twice this offseason. Gotta make Holt happen.

Yea, But Hester/Holt and Bennette or a draft pick combined with Forte/Olsen/Clark is a pretty f***ing good offense, depending on how the line does.

Sports talk radio in Chicago was off the charts crazy not a single person thought it was a bad move. Wow is this a Bears town.

People outside of Chicago do not realize that the stigma of the Bears was that they never went for it. This changes that thought process. The feeling was the McCaskey's pocket money and play it really safe to the vest. Angelo debunked this myth and the lights have gone back on.

Angelo does not like the money it cost for first round picks and therefore while others may think this was too much this is actually a benefit to the Bears pocket book as they can now spend this years and next years money on extending players or free agents, say hello to this years first round pick Orlando Pace and next years first round pick Ken Lucas. Cedric Benson is all you need to know.

Great quarterbacks can make below average receivers good. Great receivers can not make below average quarterbacks good. Also it is a whole hell of a lot easier to built a WR corp than it is to find a franchise quarterback.

Cutler to Hester/Olsen is a threat and Forte became better today as the field goes from a 20 yard field to a 50 yard field for the defense to cover.

The ego that is the Bell Belichick regime just handed the Bears Jay Cutler, thanks Bill.

Even if Cutler sucks and never completes a pass this is a move the Bears fans have needed for a lifetime. If you are not a Bears fan especially one in Chicago you can not understand this.

QUOTE (rockren @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
Franchise QBs don't grow on trees...there isn't a fan base more familiar with this saying than Chicago. When is the last time a team traded a 25 year-old Pro Bowl QB coming off of a 4500 yard season?

McDaniels is pretty full of himself if he thinks he needs a QB more suitable to fit what he's trying to do...After Denver goes 4-12 this year, McDaniels may be looking for a new job.

Yeah you're right they don't, and like I said the Bears needed this.. but Denver could easily draft Mark Sanchez this year or wait till next year and if they do suck this year could get a Colt McCoy or Sam Bradford anyways. Either way, Denver isn't in a bad position at all.

Denver has to trade him because they pissed him off and he clearly wasn't going to cooperate with them, its not like they just decided hey lets trade Jay Cutler without anything behind it, I still see what you are saying though. I don't think it was more that he wanted a QB to fit what hes doing aside from he just wanted his guy, that didn't happen and that's why Cutler was traded. I would hardly say Denver is in a bad position here regardless of how this season goes for them. If they want a QB, they can get one and have set themselves up pretty good for the future.

And once again, not a bad deal for the Bears at all I just feel Denver wins it easily. Its a win win, with one of the wins being just a little more than the other.