BEARS GET CUTLER!!!

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason you sound like a McDaniels supporter is you are making it seem like Orton is going to be great because he is going to McDaniels system.

As for McDaniels not wanting Cutler, I think its more "McDaniels wanted Cassel because he felt comfortable with him and hes a 31 year old coach with absolutely no head coaching experience who is in completely over his head, then when he missed on Cassel his star QB found out, as a coach he is to inexperienced to deal with player friction and the owner is forced to support the coach because he just fired one of the most successful if not most successful Broncos head coach."

Bottom line is that McDaniels should have been the biggest Cutler supporter.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)

Ding Ding Ding!!

I don't care who you are...you make your system fit Cutler if you have to. Unless you're running the wishbone or some crazy college offense...Cutler had better fit your system.

Joke is on McDaniels because he has neckbeard.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
I seriously hope Earl Bennett goes absolutely nuts this year. He, Williams and Hillenmeyer are happy mates. :)

Bennett set a Vandy Frosh Record with Cutler throwing him the ball in '05...

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
The reason you sound like a McDaniels supporter is you are making it seem like Orton is going to be great because he is going to McDaniels system.

As for McDaniels not wanting Cutler, I think its more "McDaniels wanted Cassel because he felt comfortable with him and hes a 31 year old coach with absolutely no head coaching experience who is completely over his head, then when he missed on Cassel his star QB found out, his coach is to inexperienced to deal with player friction and the owner is forced to support the coach because he just fired one of the most successful if not most successful Broncos head coach."

I have never once said Orton is going to be great. I said Orton was decent, and it was better than going from Cutler to nothing. When you add in the fact that McDaniels system made Matt Cassel an instant millionaire I don't think their fall off is going to be as extreme as people make it seem.

McDaniels KNEW what Denver had when he accepted that job, and he still wanted Matt Cassel instead of Jay Cutler. That tells me enough right there. Its either going to work out or its not, I still think Denver is better positioned overall now from this deal.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
Yeah you're right they don't, and like I said the Bears needed this.. but Denver could easily draft Mark Sanchez this year or wait till next year and if they do suck this year could get a Colt McCoy or Sam Bradford anyways. Either way, Denver isn't in a bad position at all.

Denver has to trade him because they pissed him off and he clearly wasn't going to cooperate with them, its not like they just decided hey lets trade Jay Cutler without anything behind it, I still see what you are saying though. I don't think it was more that he wanted a QB to fit what hes doing aside from he just wanted his guy, that didn't happen and that's why Cutler was traded. I would hardly say Denver is in a bad position here regardless of how this season goes for them. If they want a QB, they can get one and have set themselves up pretty good for the future.

And once again, not a bad deal for the Bears at all I just feel Denver wins it easily. Its a win win, with one of the wins being just a little more than the other.

I get your points and agree 100%

The bears have had bad luck with 1st round draft picks during the Jerry Angelo era

2002 Marc Columbo 29th

2003 Michael Haynes 14th

2003 Rex Grossman 22nd

2004 Tommie Harris 14th

2005 Cedric Benson 4th

2006 No Pick

2007 Greg Olson 31st

2008 Chris Williams 14th

Out of 8 years worth of 1st round draft picks I can not think of 2 players from that list I would not trade with Orton and a 3rd for Cutler. At one time, I would have been hesitant with a Harris/Olson Combo. Looking at our 1st round draft history, we would have screwed up this year's pick too. At the same time, Denver may draft 2 pro bowl players that we may not have drafted. That's why I view this as a win-win. It is easy to assume the Bears would have screwed up the picks anyway. Some may call it a poor attitude to have, I see it as going with the Odds.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)
McDaniels KNEW what Denver had when he accepted that job, and he still wanted Matt Cassel instead of Jay Cutler. That tells me enough right there. Its either going to work out or its not, I still think Denver is better positioned overall now from this deal.

Which makes me wonder how the hell Bowlen ever hired McDaniels in the first place. I wonder if he actually said in the interview process..."Yeah I'd like to get rid of that QB you have. I'll bring in a real winner. Who needs 4500 yards passing?"

QUOTE (rockren @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
Which makes me wonder how the hell Bowlen ever hired McDaniels in the first place. I wonder if he actually said in the interview process..."Yeah I'd like to get rid of that QB you have. I'll bring in a real winner. Who needs 4500 yards passing?"

Who knows, I don't even understand why they fired Shanahan to begin with.

But, obviously, Bowlen had to be on board with getting rid of Cutler as well or he would have stepped in here. This is a major business, it doesn't matter if he hurts McDaniels feelings or not but he could have easily said, sorry Josh but we aren't trading Cutler.

Well then we disagree.

You dont trade QB's who have the potential to be franchise players.

You act like McDaniels had a million other head coaching jobs lined up, hes 31.

I personally think that the Broncos went off the deep end, and Im not really a big Cutler fan. It just makes absolutely no sense, unless its my theory that McDaniels needed a security blanket.

Its not necessarily that Cassel is better than Cutler, its more that McDaniels had worked with Cassel and that he knew Cassel would listen to him and would respect him.

Thats invaluable to a 31 year old coach who is going to be constantly challenged.

So the Broncos were going to do something stupid to help their head coach feel safe. It completely backfired and now he has a QB who wont challenge him (Orton) but we all know that he is drafting a qb soon enough.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
Well then we disagree.

You dont trade QB's who have the potential to be franchise players.

I still don't understand what we are disagreeing on aside from the fact I thought Denver got plenty for Jay Cutler.

I agree they shouldn't have traded him but for some reason McDaniels didn't want him at QB. However, they still got a s*** load for him and McDaniels can get his guy and then some now.

Denver has put a lot into Josh McDaniels and seem content with letting him set this team up how he wants it. I seriously doubt hes out in one year if they don't do so good, but he has no excuse now if he doesn't build something special in Denver with the amount of high end picks they have over the next two seasons.

And like previously said, Orton can at least be serviceable for them until they get their guy. Its not totally bare in Denver, and if they can improve the defense they wont be that bad.

Well you said Denver easily won the trade, I feel that Denver didnt get enough value (disagreement 1).

McDaniels didn't want him at QB

I disagree on this as well. I think that McDaniels wanted Cassel for the above stated reasons. That McDaniels wanted Cassel above all things and convinced the Denver owners that if they gave him Matt Cassel he could deliver.

Unfortunately Denver did not get Matt Cassel.

McDaniels then was likely going to keep Cutler. The problem is Cutler decides that he wants to challenge McDaniels authority immediately and shows his displeasure. The Broncos do the only thing they can do, they have to support McDaniels. If the Broncos fired McDaniels they would be a joke, it would show how ridiculous hiring him in the first place was. The GM or whoever hired him has to stand by him.

McDaniels doesnt need to win his year, my guess is that they are now on a 3 year plan.

Although owners some times listen to fans, so if things got bad enough they could always cut their losses. If I was the Broncos owner Id be infuriated, Im sorry but we are not talking about a HOF coach, we are talking about some one who has never ran a team in his life and immediately causes problems with the one of their best players.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)
That tells me enough right there. Its either going to work out or its not, I still think Denver is better positioned overall now from this deal.

How is Denver better positioned now, because they have more draft picks?

I guarantee every GM in the league would take a Pro Bowl QB in his mid-20's over a couple of 1st round draft picks any day of the week. Denver is now in a worse position because they are severely downgraded at the QB position, and all they have to show for the trade is unknown players from the draft and Orton. Also the Bears pick was only the 18th overall, which is at a point in the draft where there are very few sure things.

I think Denver is risking more in this deal, and may end out on top eventually if both 1st rounders turn out to be something special, but right now the Bears won this trade hands down.

God Mark Schlereth just looks so bitter and jealous over this. Be a pro, jeez.

As far as Cutler being a Cubs fan, I'll forgive him his Cubdom easily to solve this Bears QB quest that is going on its 22nd year or so. At this point I'd take on a Satanist at the position.

Church of Satan's actual ideology when you learn about it is kinda cool.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
Had the Bucs traded for Cutler, you'd be doing cartwheels too.

Actually I wouldnt for two reasons.

1. The Bucs have a lot of holes on defense that need to be addressed before giving up two first rounders for a QB.

2. I'm not a fan of Cutler. Sure he passed for a lot of yards but he doesnt have a good TD/INT ratio and I dont think he has the intangibles to be a winner. Plus he finished 3rd in yards passing but 16th in QB rating. He was the only QB to be in the top 5 for yards and not be in the top 6 for QB rating.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
How is Denver better positioned now, because they have more draft picks?

I guarantee every GM in the league would take a Pro Bowl QB in his mid-20's over a couple of 1st round draft picks any day of the week. Denver is now in a worse position because they are severely downgraded at the QB position, and all they have to show for the trade is unknown players from the draft and Orton. Also the Bears pick was only the 18th overall, which is at a point in the draft where there are very few sure things.

I think Denver is risking more in this deal, and may end out on top eventually if both 1st rounders turn out to be something special, but right now the Bears won this trade hands down.

Give me a break, that's like saying if they traded Cutler for every Bears 1st round pick for the rest of the existence of the NFL the Bears still win hands down because "Of unknown players".

Obviously you cant guarantee every GM in the league would take a mid 20s pro bowl QB over draft picks because Denver just traded one for a couple of picks. A sever downgrade is a bit extreme seeing as Cutlers numbers weren't THAT more eye popping than Ortons. Cutler also threw the ball close to 200 times more with better receivers.

And come on, this isn't baseball.. the draft is THE way to stock your team with talent. And im sorry, but if you think the 18th pick is only "meh" something is wrong with you. There is going to be plenty of high end talent on the board at that pick. The Yankees could never have another first round pick ever again and be perfectly fine, while an NFL team that never got another 1st round pick again would suffer.

I guess we will see who "wins" this trade in a couple of years, until then im sticking with the Broncos and also saying once again I don't think the Bears did bad here at all and got what they really needed. I just like what Denver is set up for better.