BEARS GET CUTLER!!!

To be quite honest, I don't understand when people say the Bears have no receivers. Technically, yeah, their receiving corps is terrible, but they have two very good tight ends plus a good receiving back too. To me, it appears as though they are the addition of someone like Holt away from having a pretty formidable all-around receiving threat, even if it isn't going to scare the crap out of defenses.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont even see Jacobs as a part time back anymore. The guy is a horse, he can go all game and he has speed and power. Forte is a different type of back for sure, but at this point in their careers Jacobs is far more accomplished and would be the back I would prefer out of the two.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 04:37 AM)
To be quite honest, I don't understand when people say the Bears have no receivers. Technically, yeah, their receiving corps is terrible, but they have two very good tight ends plus a good receiving back too. To me, it appears as though they are the addition of someone like Holt away from having a pretty formidable all-around receiving threat, even if it isn't going to scare the crap out of defenses.

Yes.

The addition of Torry Holt would, in my opinion, make the Bears the top offense in the NFC.

It would also be the final addition to what would be the best offense in Bears history.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
Yes.

The addition of Torry Holt would, in my opinion, make the Bears the top offense in the NFC.

It would also be the final addition to what would be the best offense in Bears history.

I don't think the Bears should stop with Holt. I think the Bears should add another veteran like Toomer or Jurevicious(sp?) and move Hester to the slot. From the Z position you can basically just let him run "go" routes and pray that he catches the ball -- because nobody is going to be able to cover him.

The offense is starting to look nice on paper, but their performance will be directly tied to how the OL performs with people moving around and coming in.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 12:09 AM)
I agree, they really aren't comparable at all. Jacobs is a big time bruiser who's goal is to run you over. Forte is an every down back who also excels as a receiver out of the backfield.

Either way, Holt would be a huge addition to this team. I'd imagine the offense would look something like this:

QB Cutler/Hanie/Basanez

RB Forte/Peterson/Wolfe

FB McKie

LT Pace/Shaffer

LG Omiyale/Beekman

C Kreutz

RG Garza/Buenning

RT Williams/Shaffer

WR Holt/Bennet

WR Hester/Davis

TE Olsen/Clark/Davis

If the Bears pick up Holt, than they are a superbowl contender and with that I don't think you can risk going through a season with one of Hanie/Basanez as your primary backups. I'm not saying our backup will be there to rescue us and win a superbowl if Cutler goes down for the season, but if we lose Jay for three or for games or just one or two, the backup could find a way to lead the Bears to a key victory or two that is necessary to get the Bears into the playoffs where Cutler comes back and dominates.

I'm thinking one year stop-gap.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 08:09 AM)
I don't think the Bears should stop with Holt. I think the Bears should add another veteran like Toomer or Jurevicious(sp?) and move Hester to the slot. From the Z position you can basically just let him run "go" routes and pray that he catches the ball -- because nobody is going to be able to cover him.

The offense is starting to look nice on paper, but their performance will be directly tied to how the OL performs with people moving around and coming in.

Even with the addition of Holt, the Bears will be targetting a young WR. WR's usually take 1-2 years to truly develop into the league, with the third year typically being there breakout year. In a perfect world, the addition of Holt means that both Hester and Bennett should emerge this year and potentially breakout a year from now (Hester is closer than Bennett) and than your new draft pick is able to ease in this season, gain more time next season and than burst out two years from now. Basically put, Holt is the perfect stop-gap over a 2-3 year period. This year he's your best WR, next year he takes a step back, but is still very good and adds respect (not to mention he's a great mentor) and in year three he's more of a 3rd WR (if one of Bennett/Hester/Pick busts) or a 4th WR (and I think he sticks around because he's older at that point in his career and ideally the Bears have won a superbowl or are at least consistently competing for one so he sticks around to get the ring). Plus if you look at it, essentially the Bears have to spend zero picks on the WR or TE spot in the next couple years with really the only offensive positions you have to worry about being the oline (they can go heavy there) and RB (you'll want to make sure you have someone brought in that can step in if Forte goes down, imo, and given the importance of the RB position and the short life span, it wouldn't be a bad idea a year or two from now to take a back in the 2nd round again). So essentially, you go WR early this draft, than turn the attention the next 2-3 years to the defense, oline, and one RB pick (and maybe a WR or two later in the draft).

Now someone will tell me that Clark is getting older, but I'll respond with our 3rd string TE being a freaking beast. The guy is a tremendous athlete, projects to be a great blocker, and has offensive ability and will be a great compliment to Clark (who I think will be gone after this season, unless he is willing to take a very reduced role). Bottom line, in one fell swoop, the Bears are instantly a player or two away from an elite offense (not just for one year, but a number of years).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
If the Bears pick up Holt, than they are a superbowl contender and with that I don't think you can risk going through a season with one of Hanie/Basanez as your primary backups. I'm not saying our backup will be there to rescue us and win a superbowl if Cutler goes down for the season, but if we lose Jay for three or for games or just one or two, the backup could find a way to lead the Bears to a key victory or two that is necessary to get the Bears into the playoffs where Cutler comes back and dominates.

I'm thinking one year stop-gap.

Go sign up Byron Leftwich as backup.

Leftwich would be a tremendous pickup, but that move won't happen for a while. If Leftwich is smart, he'll wait and see if someone gets hurt or if a QB job opens up where he'll have a pretty good job at competing for a starting spot. If he doesn't, Chicago wouldn't be a bad place for him to be just because he'd have a shot to win, but barring injury he'd have no shot at playing. However, if you couldn't find a spot where you could compete for a spot, Chicago wouldn't be bad because if things go well, they might sit Cutler one week and he'd at least be able to showcase himself at the end of the season. Plus, if Cutler went down for an extended period of time, he'd be on a good team which would help make him look better and hopefully if that did happen, he'd perform, win a few games, make himself more marketable while at the same time keeping the Bears a playoff team. Thats how I'd sell it at least.

Than there is Grossman. With Cutler coming in, the Bears are going to have to give him a ton of snaps and reps in mini camps since it will be his first year in the offense and with the playoffs, which might make it a bit harder to bring in another QB who doesn't have a knowledge of the offense (ie, Leftwich might have trouble getting up to speed enough since Cutler would really need so many reps, more so than say a guy like Manning whose been in the same system for years). Grossman is also a very capable backup who doesn't seem to have any starting options and given his comfort with the offense he could be just fine with limited reps. Plus, as a pure backup I think the hate for Grossman would diminish because I believe most of the shots had to deal more with the Bears not having a good QB (ie, Orton/Grossman) than fans really hating Grossman. Grossman might not do it, but he wouldn't have to answer the same questions he did in the past and as a whole I think the players respect the heck out of him and as a classy fan I respect him for the way he's handled anything. I wouldn't blame Rex if he never wanted anything to do with Bear fans or if he just wanted a clean break, but I do think from the Bears perspective he would be a great #2 QB for one more season (giving Hanie a bit more seasoning).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
Leftwich would be a tremendous pickup, but that move won't happen for a while. If Leftwich is smart, he'll wait and see if someone gets hurt or if a QB job opens up where he'll have a pretty good job at competing for a starting spot. If he doesn't, Chicago wouldn't be a bad place for him to be just because he'd have a shot to win, but barring injury he'd have no shot at playing. However, if you couldn't find a spot where you could compete for a spot, Chicago wouldn't be bad because if things go well, they might sit Cutler one week and he'd at least be able to showcase himself at the end of the season. Plus, if Cutler went down for an extended period of time, he'd be on a good team which would help make him look better and hopefully if that did happen, he'd perform, win a few games, make himself more marketable while at the same time keeping the Bears a playoff team. Thats how I'd sell it at least.

Than there is Grossman. With Cutler coming in, the Bears are going to have to give him a ton of snaps and reps in mini camps since it will be his first year in the offense and with the playoffs, which might make it a bit harder to bring in another QB who doesn't have a knowledge of the offense (ie, Leftwich might have trouble getting up to speed enough since Cutler would really need so many reps, more so than say a guy like Manning whose been in the same system for years). Grossman is also a very capable backup who doesn't seem to have any starting options and given his comfort with the offense he could be just fine with limited reps. Plus, as a pure backup I think the hate for Grossman would diminish because I believe most of the shots had to deal more with the Bears not having a good QB (ie, Orton/Grossman) than fans really hating Grossman. Grossman might not do it, but he wouldn't have to answer the same questions he did in the past and as a whole I think the players respect the heck out of him and as a classy fan I respect him for the way he's handled anything. I wouldn't blame Rex if he never wanted anything to do with Bear fans or if he just wanted a clean break, but I do think from the Bears perspective he would be a great #2 QB for one more season (giving Hanie a bit more seasoning).

I love how much work your getting done today Jason... someone will be audited because of your love of Bears Football.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
Even with the addition of Holt, the Bears will be targetting a young WR. WR's usually take 1-2 years to truly develop into the league, with the third year typically being there breakout year. In a perfect world, the addition of Holt means that both Hester and Bennett should emerge this year and potentially breakout a year from now (Hester is closer than Bennett) and than your new draft pick is able to ease in this season, gain more time next season and than burst out two years from now. Basically put, Holt is the perfect stop-gap over a 2-3 year period. This year he's your best WR, next year he takes a step back, but is still very good and adds respect (not to mention he's a great mentor) and in year three he's more of a 3rd WR (if one of Bennett/Hester/Pick busts) or a 4th WR (and I think he sticks around because he's older at that point in his career and ideally the Bears have won a superbowl or are at least consistently competing for one so he sticks around to get the ring). Plus if you look at it, essentially the Bears have to spend zero picks on the WR or TE spot in the next couple years with really the only offensive positions you have to worry about being the oline (they can go heavy there) and RB (you'll want to make sure you have someone brought in that can step in if Forte goes down, imo, and given the importance of the RB position and the short life span, it wouldn't be a bad idea a year or two from now to take a back in the 2nd round again). So essentially, you go WR early this draft, than turn the attention the next 2-3 years to the defense, oline, and one RB pick (and maybe a WR or two later in the draft).

Now someone will tell me that Clark is getting older, but I'll respond with our 3rd string TE being a freaking beast. The guy is a tremendous athlete, projects to be a great blocker, and has offensive ability and will be a great compliment to Clark (who I think will be gone after this season, unless he is willing to take a very reduced role). Bottom line, in one fell swoop, the Bears are instantly a player or two away from an elite offense (not just for one year, but a number of years).

While I agree with your post, I think there is one thing you are forgetting. The familiarity of Bennett and Cutler. I know it's a different system and a faster game, but these guys played catch at Vandy. This could bring Bennett along faster than you are implying here. Under normal circumstances, I agree, but this is a mitigating factor.

On a different note, whoever posted the offense, was that the depth chart you were thinking? Because I bet Hanie is your #3 QB still. Also, Garza is going to be the one who will probably lose his job over Beekman. Which would put Omiyale at RG.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
^^ I heart Leftwich

Yeah, I have to agree with Jason here. It would seem foolish for Leftwich, who ultimately still has designs on starting in this League, to come to Chicago, where he has no shot at playing.

Perhaps on a one-year deal if nothing better materializes...

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
This trading for Cutler thing still hasn't sunk in yet.

LOL, how far you have come from "We dont need Cutler because we dont have Wide Recievers, and he is overrated anyways"

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)
LOL, how far you have come from "We dont need Cutler because we dont have Wide Recievers, and he is overrated anyways"

I love it.

whitesoxbrian probably still thinks Kyle Orton rules and Marcus Robinson is the best receiver ever.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 01:13 AM)
I love it.

whitesoxbrian probably still thinks Kyle Orton rules and Marcus Robinson is the best receiver ever.

I was actually a big fan of Marcus Robinson, it seemed after he hurt his league while catching a ball that one time with us he was never the same

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
^^ I heart Leftwich

I remember back before that draft, my friend and I were co-hosting a sports talk radio show on our college radio station and were begging the Bers to take Leftwich. They didnt. Took Grossman... neither player panned out. oh well.