BEARS GET CUTLER!!!

Well, Urlacher was interviewed on ESPN Radio today and was nothing but giddy about the acquisition. He went as far as to break his media silence just to talk about how happy he is to have Cutler in town, and that he doesn't blame him for wanting out, because he was treated poorly.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
Well, Urlacher was interviewed on ESPN Radio today and was nothing but giddy about the acquisition. He went as far as to break his media silence just to talk about how happy he is to have Cutler in town, and that he doesn't blame him for wanting out, because he was treated poorly.

sucks for the espn spin department

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
Cutler 2008: 8 games of 300+ yards passing

Bears Franchise Single Season Record: 4 games of 300+ yards passing

IMMEDIATELY THE BEST QB IN FRANCHISE HISTORY... 25 year old Pro Bowl Quarterbacks just don't come available. For a team that has stockpiled picks for this year, it was perfect.

And Carl, let's be real. You said the Broncos won the trade, which is just blatantly incorrect. The Denver Broncos got fair value for Cutler, sure, but they did not win this trade. Trading a 25 year old guy of Cutler's calibre is idiotic. Ask them how Jake "The Snake" was working out, or Brian Griese for that matter.

The Broncos have been spoiled at the position with Elway, and then got Cutler and thought it was easy. Enjoy Orton, or Sanchez, or whatever bust you're going to pick. Not many make it and to assume that you'll easily plug the hole is laughable.

Big win for the Bears, as they finally solved a problem that has haunted them for 60 years.

Sorry, Broncos won that deal.

And I know you got your Bears glasses on right now, but take em off and maybe you'll see Griese and Plummer both had some very good seasons with the Broncos.

The Bears mortgaged their future for a guy who is 17-20 as a starter and has never had a winning season. If you guys wanna keep ignoring what I have been saying about this I can easily turn this into a why this was a terrible deal for the Bears and how they are now f***ed.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
The Bears mortgaged their future for a guy who is 17-20 as a starter and has never had a winning season. If you guys wanna keep ignoring what I have been saying about this I can easily turn this into a why this was a terrible deal for the Bears and how they are now f***ed.

Dude, you cannot convince me they mortgaged their future by acquiring a soon to be 26 year old All-Pro quarterback.

So we can't blow our first rounder on a Cedric Benson this year, big whoop, we've still got our 2nd, we've still got a 3rd, and we have an extra fifth.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)

And I know you got your Bears glasses on right now, but take em off and maybe you'll see Griese and Plummer both had some very good seasons with the Broncos.

The Bears have had s***ty results in the 1st round draft for about 20 years now. Yet, I like the position the franchise is in. I don't think 2 1st round draft picks that we would have blown anyway are going to make our break us. Read Daa84's posts the last few pages to see what value we really gave up.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
Probably not, but when you get a QB like Cutler, you got to surround him with guys and the Bears lost a couple picks and I believe FS has now become there #1 need. The Bears also still have a good group of vets that I think would keep a guy like Jones in line. Than again, the WR corps is very young so maybe it would be bad to put a guy like Jones around Hester/Bennett. Clearly Jones is the better long-term solution over Holt, but Holt is the steady veteran that could really be the glue. Jones was on pace for 1000 yards, is an elite athlete for a guy his size and seemed to be really finally come close to his potential and would be a badass target along with Olsen in the red zone (combine Olsen/Jones and Forte and you are talking about a ridiculous red zone offense, imo).

After Tank Johnson, there is no way Angelo signs Matt Jones. No way. Some other team my give him another chance, but Jerry isn't going to take the chance to get burned again like that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
Dude, you cannot convince me they mortgaged their future by acquiring a soon to be 26 year old All-Pro quarterback.

So we can't blow our first rounder on a Cedric Benson this year, big whoop, we've still got our 2nd, we've still got a 3rd, and we have an extra fifth.

Ok, I understand the Bears have not been good drafters in the first round but that still doesn't mean you can dismiss two first round picks like they don't mean anything when they are probably the most valued commodities in the NFL.

Also, I would just like to point out that Jay Cutler is NOT an all pro, that was Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. He was voted to the pro bowl, much like Brett Favre was.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
The Bears have had s***ty results in the 1st round draft for about 20 years now. Yet, I like the position the franchise is in. I don't think 2 1st round draft picks that we would have blown anyway are going to make our break us. Read Daa84's posts the last few pages to see what value we really gave up.

NO! I will not read his post again because it makes NO SENSE WHAT SO EVER

You can NOT use the draft value chart when talking about trading for proven commodities. That is completely pointless.

Yes I understand the Giants paid more for Eli Manning, that's because that's how its done when you move up in the draft, you follow that chart. When Detroit traded Roy Williams I doubt they looked at their chart and told Dallas they needed to put together a package that exceeded 4,000 in value.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
Ok, I understand the Bears have not been good drafters in the first round but that still doesn't mean you can dismiss two first round picks like they don't mean anything when they are probably the most valued commodities in the NFL.

Also, I would just like to point out that Jay Cutler is NOT an all pro, that was Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. He was voted to the pro bowl, much like Brett Favre was.

I think they overpaid, but they had to. Cutler is the best QB they have had in a long time. I know he wouldn't have put up the numbers he put up in Denver if he were playing for the Bears in 2008. He's going to need another receiver or 2. He's going to need Pace to stay healthy. He's going to need Williams to make a transition to RT and stay healthy, but there is no doubt the QB position has been upgraded, and considering his age, if he stays healthy, there is no need to upgrade it again for many, many years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
After Tank Johnson, there is no way Angelo signs Matt Jones. No way. Some other team my give him another chance, but Jerry isn't going to take the chance to get burned again like that.

I dunno, Angelo drafted Marcus Harrison when he fell to him last year.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
Plaxico was just released. Comes with a lot of baggage, but would you see him as a fit here? It's no question the Bears need to add a top WR.

Plaxico is going to jail. Do people remember Tank Johnson? He's probably the biggest reason Angelo will not take on the baggage for Burress or Jones.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
Plaxico was just released. Comes with a lot of baggage, but would you see him as a fit here? It's no question the Bears need to add a top WR.

Plax will probably be in jail this year if the Giants are releasing him.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
Wow, listening to Trent Dilfer, you'd think the Broncos not only made a haul witt the draft picks, but acquired the better QB as well.

Call me crazy to say that Kyle Orton could actually put up better numbers than Jay Cutler this upcoming season. And I'm basing that on;

1 - McDaniels will be a better offensive coach than Ron Turner

2 - The Broncos probably still have the better offensive line.

3 - The Broncos have better WR's.

Cutler's a better QB no doubt, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him initally struggle a little learning a brand new scheme (although you could say the same for Orton also).

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)

Cutler was also 13-1 when the other team was held to 21 or less points.

Why does one team have to win a trade? It seems to me that the Bears got something they haven't had in my life time and the Broncos recieved good compensation for it. It's way to early to decide if it was a good trade, but both teams appear to have improved their positions.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
Why does one team have to win a trade? It seems to me that the Bears got something they haven't had in my life time and the Broncos recieved good compensation for it. It's way to early to decide if it was a good trade, but both teams appear to have improved their positions.

Who won the Scott Podsednik and Luiz Vizcaino for Carlos Lee trade?