BEARS GET CUTLER!!!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Who won the Scott Podsednik and Luiz Vizcaino for Carlos Lee trade?

I'm not sure how that is relevent. I don't believe there is always a winner and a loser in a trade. I guess I don't look at a trade as a competition, but as a mutual agreement.

If I had to pick, I guess I'd say the Sox because they won the World Series, but if there was a winner of that trade, it certainly was not determined the day after the trade went down.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
Why does one team have to win a trade? It seems to me that the Bears got something they haven't had in my life time and the Broncos recieved good compensation for it. It's way to early to decide if it was a good trade, but both teams appear to have improved their positions.

Not only that, but the draft picks have yet to play an NFL game.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
Sorry, Broncos won that deal.

And I know you got your Bears glasses on right now, but take em off and maybe you'll see Griese and Plummer both had some very good seasons with the Broncos.

The Bears mortgaged their future for a guy who is 17-20 as a starter and has never had a winning season. If you guys wanna keep ignoring what I have been saying about this I can easily turn this into a why this was a terrible deal for the Bears and how they are now f***ed.

Please turn it into why the Bears are f***ed, I'd like to see it.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
I'm not sure how that is relevent. I don't believe there is always a winner and a loser in a trade. I guess I don't look at a trade as a competition, but as a mutual agreement.

If I had to pick, I guess I'd say the Sox because they won the World Series, but if there was a winner of that trade, it certainly was not determined the day after the trade went down.

If I understand it correctly, both sides won the trade and there was no loser. On paper, Milwaukee won. Without that trade however, who knows if the Sox would bring home a title? It was a perfect fit for both teams.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
If I understand it correctly, both sides won the trade and there was no loser. On paper, Milwaukee won. Without that trade however, who knows if the Sox would bring home a title? It was a perfect fit for both teams.

Exactly.

Given how highly the NFL values draft picks, the Bears paid a huge price here. But it was entirely the correct move for that team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
Exactly.

Given how highly the NFL values draft picks, the Bears paid a huge price here. But it was entirely the correct move for that team.

For the Bears, its a huge win. Cutlers career QB rating in his first 2 years is already 7 points higher than the top season for A Bears QB all time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)
Please turn it into why the Bears are f***ed, I'd like to see it.

Cutler was sacked 11 times last season, the Bears offensive line is nowhere near as good as Denvers so lets say Cutler gets beat up more this season.. You can also throw in the fact that he had better targets to throw to in Denver so now lets say that also adds a dip in his performance. How about weather conditions? How about the fact that Cutler was quick to turn into the biggest cry baby in the league when Denver only tried to get the guy McDaniels wanted?

There are plenty of reasons as to why Cutler can come to Chicago and be a huge disappointment while the Broncos could add some big pieces to their team and future with what they have acquired from this deal. Not to mention the chance that Orton has a similar if not better season than Cutler next year given the circumstances.

Of course, Cutler could also flourish and the Broncos can get nothing from those picks and Orton as well. Its a two way street and we wont know for a few years, however, I would rather have Orton, two firsts, and an extra third over Cutler when you see what QBs have done in McDaniels system.

I think it was a good move for the Bears, however, all the Bears fans on this board seem to think im trying to say they got the raw end of a deal here when im not. I would just prefer what Denver know has, but the Bears also needed a true franchise QB. They still have a lot of needs though and not having those picks could also factor in to why they could be f***ed.

FWIW (since QB ratings seem to be pretty important

Here are the qb ratings for Jay Cutler and some big name QB's of the last 25 years for their 1st 5 years in the NFL, where they played the majority of the season. I didn't include the rookie years for Brady or Cutler because the only played a handful of games.

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Brett Favre

Dan Marino

John Elway

55.9 (11 games)

Jay Cutler

?

?

?

How about the fact that Cutler was quick to turn into the biggest cry baby in the league when Denver only tried to get the guy McDaniels wanted?

If they fired my head coach, my QB coach, brought in a new coach who tried to trade me, Id be pretty pissed off myself.

Thats not how you run any business.

If today at my office they brought in a new boss (who was barely older than me and had less experience) fired all of the other people I worked with and then tried to get some one to replace me, I promise you that my time in this office would not be long.

Thats not being a cry baby, its called standing up for yourself.

And the biggest problem I have with your statements is you said that "Denver easily won this trade" and now have backtracked to statements like:

Of course, Cutler could also flourish and the Broncos can get nothing from those picks and Orton as well. Its a two way street and we wont know for a few years, however, I would rather have Orton, two firsts, and an extra third over Cutler when you see what QBs have done in McDaniels system.

And thats fine, but I entirely disagree.

McDaniels has been OC for 2 years (was named offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach on January 20, 2006.).

McDaniels did not invent this system, he inherited the system.

McDaniels has never been OC of the Patriots with out Randy Moss.

McDaniels has had his system be successful for only 1 year without Brady.

So what have you seen McDaniels do in 1 year, that is such a sure fire thing?

Cassel threw for almost a thousand yards less than Cutler, and had a 89.4 rtg compared to 86.0 rtg.

I guess in my opinion the jury on McDaniels is out, I have no real faith in him.

Receiver Earl Bennett excited to reunite with Jay Cutler

By Vaughn McClure

Bears receiver Earl Bennett, back in school at Vanderbilt finishing up courses toward his degree, was in class Thursday when he got the call.

Jay Cutler was on the other line.

``I was surprised,'' Bennett said. ``I thought it was a joke.''

It wasn't.

Cutler informed Bennett, his former teammate at Vanderbilt, that the two would be teammates again in Chicago following a blockbuster trade between the Bears and Broncos.

``Jay just asked me if I was ready,'' Bennett said. ``He is going to be a great asset to our offense, and I think we're going to get things rolling. He is a great guy. He's going to do a great job for our organization.''

Not to mention how the addition of Cutler could help Bennett's progress. The third-round pick from last year struggled to catch on in his first season. Bennett admitted he had trouble digesting the playbook. Having a history with Cutler could calm his nerves.

``What people don't know is Jay is a very vocal leader,'' Bennett said. ``I remember an overtime game against Florida my freshman year. That was probably the most vocal I ever heard him.

``Jay joining us does give me a comfort zone. But at the same time, we still have to get on the same page. It's going to be a great process. Just knowing the things that we can do, it's going to be great.''

Bennett was asked if Cutler has been portrayed unfairly following the fallout in Denver.

``I don't think Jay's a crybaby. He's a competitor,'' Bennett said. ``He's always ready to play football. There's nothing wrong with being competitive.''

God damn I'm gonna bet and keep saying Bennett is going to explode.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
And the biggest problem I have with your statements is you said that "Denver easily won this trade" and now have backtracked to statements like:

I haven't backtracked at all, I still feel Denver won the trade. That doesn't change the fact that the picks they select can bust out while Cutler succeeds in Chicago. I don't think that is going to happen, but for argument sake I had to present that side of it so people don't think im just trying to hate on this deal.

Matt Cassel hadn't started a game since high school and looked like a star in McDaniels system. And I don't want to hear about Randy Moss because he didn't even have that great of a year anyways. I agree with you that the jury is still out on him, but you cant ignore the fact that his system so far has given results.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
Cutler was sacked 11 times last season, the Bears offensive line is nowhere near as good as Denvers so lets say Cutler gets beat up more this season.. You can also throw in the fact that he had better targets to throw to in Denver so now lets say that also adds a dip in his performance. How about weather conditions? How about the fact that Cutler was quick to turn into the biggest cry baby in the league when Denver only tried to get the guy McDaniels wanted?

There are plenty of reasons as to why Cutler can come to Chicago and be a huge disappointment while the Broncos could add some big pieces to their team and future with what they have acquired from this deal. Not to mention the chance that Orton has a similar if not better season than Cutler next year given the circumstances.

I think it was a good move for the Bears, however, all the Bears fans on this board seem to think im trying to say they got the raw end of a deal here when im not. I would just prefer what Denver know has, but the Bears also needed a true franchise QB. They still have a lot of needs though and not having those picks could also factor in to why they could be f***ed.

Was this supposed to prove the bears were f***ed? It looks like alot of opinions and what ifs including things like weather conditions, even going so far as to use Cutler's media quotes to call him a crybaby. Losing 2 draft picks is why? I need more explanation as your original quote sounded like a threat to the board that you were going to blow up our good moods with some serious evidence on how the Bears have screwed themselves for years for trading 2 first round picks and a fringe starting QB. Feel free to really put it out there this time.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
The need to improve of the OL pronto...Pace is a good start even though he's best years are behind him,he can probably be better than avg...

I think the Bears OL is significantly upgraded from last year already, especially if they're creative and wind up trying Pace out at RT

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)
Sorry, Broncos won that deal.

And I know you got your Bears glasses on right now, but take em off and maybe you'll see Griese and Plummer both had some very good seasons with the Broncos.

The Bears mortgaged their future for a guy who is 17-20 as a starter and has never had a winning season. If you guys wanna keep ignoring what I have been saying about this I can easily turn this into a why this was a terrible deal for the Bears and how they are now f***ed.

The Bears might have also turned Bennett into a potential first round pick with the acquisition. I realize he was a 3rd round pick, but all of a sudden he becomes a better WR (we'll have to see if it happens, but I think it will, plus Bennett has a lot of talent and was someone most draft experts raved about as being a guy with a lot of upside last year when the Bears drafted him). Greg Olsen might just make the leap to being an elite TE. Forte could prove to be an elite RB because of this (maybe not as explosive as Faulk or Tomilson, but in a similar range with an ability to get 1000 rushing and 1000 receiving yards). Hester might be able to make the jump from being a 750 yard WR to a 1000 yard WR with a QB who can make him better and best yet, good QB's can make good WR's great. It doesn't work the other way around, imo. I think great WR's can make a serviceable QB solid, but not a good QB great or elite.

Plus the Bears now have a whole different image, expectation, and ora and there should be something said about that. In general, I think the Bears just found the solution to there WR problem and it involved getting a QB with the chance to be elite (and compare his numbers to all the greats and they are on par thus far) as he makes every WR on the roster better and will make it much easier for the Bears to develop or sign WR's (you don't think that the Bears didn't become an attractive place for any WR thats a FA, think again, cause if I'm a good WR, one of the first things I look at aside from money is whose throwing me the ball, and Cutler did a great f***ing job getting two above average WR's numbers).

Oh and if the Bears get Plaxico, Jones or Holt, I'll go as far as saying that the Bears are legit superbowl contenders and that will be the first time I've said that in some time. Scoop Jackson said it best regarding this trade, basically indicated how important it is to the franchise and that it puts them as immediate favorites in the division but they still are a few holes short of being superbowl contenders but those holes can be addressed now or in a few years as the whole landscape of the franchise has been changed.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
After Tank Johnson, there is no way Angelo signs Matt Jones. No way. Some other team my give him another chance, but Jerry isn't going to take the chance to get burned again like that.

Since Tank, the Bears took a chance on Marcus Harrison and were rewarded.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
Call me crazy to say that Kyle Orton could actually put up better numbers than Jay Cutler this upcoming season. And I'm basing that on;

1 - McDaniels will be a better offensive coach than Ron Turner

2 - The Broncos probably still have the better offensive line.

3 - The Broncos have better WR's.

Cutler's a better QB no doubt, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him initally struggle a little learning a brand new scheme (although you could say the same for Orton also).

Your not crazy, your f***ing crazy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Was this supposed to prove the bears were f***ed? It looks like alot of opinions and what ifs including things like weather conditions, even going so far as to use Cutler's media quotes to call him a crybaby. Losing 2 draft picks is why? I need more explanation as your original quote sounded like a threat to the board that you were going to blow up our good moods with some serious evidence on how the Bears have screwed themselves for years for trading 2 first round picks and a fringe starting QB. Feel free to really put it out there this time.

Take however you want, don't really care bro. You're a Bears fan, there is no point in trying to argue it with you.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
Take however you want, don't really care bro. You're a Bears fan, there is no point in trying to argue it with you.

What are we arguing? You said you wanted people to pay attention to you or you would show how the Bears are totally f***ed. I'm just waiting to see that threat come to life. So far you said Cutlers a crybaby, its windy in Chicago, we dont have Brandon Marshall, and Daniels 2 years in NE proves he will turn anyone into Tom Brady. I still dont see how the Bears have f***ed themselves in that scenario.

Cutler's Qb rating is 7 points higher than the GREATEST season a Bears QB has had since that stat was in place. I want to see this flip side argument that you keep threatening to bring up. Thats all. Call it Bears fan enlightenment.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
The need to improve of the OL pronto...Pace is a good start even though he's best years are behind him,he can probably be better than avg...

Last season Pace played at a near Pro Bowl level. Was he as good as everyone was used to no, but he was still a well above average LT. The only question with him is health, imo, and last year he was fairly healthy. If he does go down, the Bears have plenty of depth in Shaffer and Omilaye.