BEARS GET CUTLER!!!

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
This is 100% true

I also have a best buddy that is a Broncos fan and all he was telling me was how Cutler was the 2nd coming of the Messiah (his nickname for Elway). We watch all the games together at the bar so I've seen probably 25 of Cutlers games and all I can say is just how thrilled I am and how pissed he is. Clearly that isn't any way of saying who won the deal because I'm no NFL expert nor is he, but I will tell you that the Bears have a guy that they've never ever had in the history of there organization at the QB position. Next up the Bears will have to give him a big f***ing contract, in the neighborhood of 100M so hopefully the McCaskeys are ready to shell out.

It probably won't happen now, but it might happen during the season. The question is how everything regarding the uncapped year next year will effect things.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
Clady was a Pro Bowl/2nd team ALL PRO lineman as a rookie. That was not thanks to Jay Cutlers mobility Steve.

Maybe not 100% , but I would make an argument that it helped Clady's cause and Clady helped Cutler's cause at the same time. That's all steve was saying, it goes both ways.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
Anyone who isn't twinkling with giddyness right now just can't be a Bears fan (DBAHO - Cowboys, TRU - Dolphins... who else?)

And where have EITHER of us said that the Bears lost this or this wasn't a good move for them? I haven't, I don't recall seeing DBAHO say that either.

Relax Steve, we aren't trashing the Bears.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
and Cutler's will go down slightly?

Yes because he now has a better RB behind him, a solidified Bears offensive line, less need for him to throw the ball and force the issue so many times a game, still a viable group of WR's (including one he is incredibly comfortable with), and he will only get better as he gets more reps in NFL games. He still is such a young player and only entering his 3rd season as a full-time starter.

P.S. im hammered so if this makes no sense I am sorry.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
That doesn't mean the 3rd they traded is worthless.

OF COURSE IT DOESN'T!

I didn't say that.

It does mean, however, that it's expendable given the fact that a 25 year old franchise QB was on the block. For series.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
And where have EITHER of us said that the Bears lost this or this wasn't a good move for them? I haven't, I don't recall seeing DBAHO say that either.

Relax Steve, we aren't trashing the Bears.

By saying it's a big win for the Broncos, you imply it's a loss for the Bears.

And I know you aren't trashing the Bears, I'm just trying to figure out how it's an easy win for the Broncos. It's just lively, fun discussion here, brother.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
OF COURSE IT DOESN'T!

I didn't say that.

It does mean, however, that it's expendable given the fact that a 25 year old franchise QB was on the block. For series.

Yes, along with two first round picks.. I think we have established the Bears gave up a lot but got something that they have needed forever pretty much.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
By saying it's a big win for the Broncos, you imply it's a loss for the Bears.

Thats not true at all.

I think the Bears have won here too, I just like what Denver got better.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Wasn't there an argument a few pages back debunking the credability of the Pro Bowl?

Yes someone did, however he was a 2nd team All Pro.. you cant debunk that.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
Yes, along with two first round picks.. I think we have established the Bears gave up a lot but got something that they have needed forever pretty much.

Yes, but it's just hard for me to allow you to skirt around like the big dog claiming the Broncos won the trade. Given the PR nightmare and the unknowns, if anyone lost it was Denver.

But I digress... 2009 will be fun for both of our clubs, Carl... whoda thought that a year ago.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
I also have a best buddy that is a Broncos fan and all he was telling me was how Cutler was the 2nd coming of the Messiah (his nickname for Elway). We watch all the games together at the bar so I've seen probably 25 of Cutlers games and all I can say is just how thrilled I am and how pissed he is. Clearly that isn't any way of saying who won the deal because I'm no NFL expert nor is he, but I will tell you that the Bears have a guy that they've never ever had in the history of there organization at the QB position. Next up the Bears will have to give him a big f***ing contract, in the neighborhood of 100M so hopefully the McCaskeys are ready to shell out.

It probably won't happen now, but it might happen during the season. The question is how everything regarding the uncapped year next year will effect things.

I watched quite a bit of Bronco games this year. Partially because Cutler saved my ass in fantasy when Brady went down week 1. I could not help but think of Favre or Elway when he threw 30 yard laser beams that whistled down the field, despite staring down his receiver and the defense knowing exactly where he was going.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Yes, but it's just hard for me to allow you to skirt around like the big dog claiming the Broncos won the trade. Given the PR nightmare and the unknowns, if anyone lost it was Denver.

Why is it hard for you? I have said numerous times in this thread it was a good move for the Bears and something they needed. I don't think the Bears lost at all, and they now have a franchise QB.. they needed this deal.

I don't see much of a PR nightmare, Denvers not some huge media market. I will take all those picks and Orton though and be perfectly happy about it. Regardless, I don't think anyone lost this deal.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
I watched quite a bit of Bronco games this year. Partially because Cutler saved my ass in fantasy when Brady went down week 1. I could not help but think of Favre or Elway when he threw 30 yard laser beams that whistled down the field, despite staring down his receiver and the defense knowing exactly where he was going.

I think the best part of his game (aside from the cannon arm) is what your sig so beautifully shows off. His mobility will make our O-Line look phenomenal, as well as open up room down the field.

Forte is going to be a freak without 8 men in the box. Likewise, I think Cutler will have more open looks. I can't imagine the Bears picking up Cutler and Pace in the same day and not rectifying the wide receiver corps.

If they really want to piss off the rest of the league, they should go get Boldin. :headbang

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
Bottom line.. (from what I heard from multiple outlets) Denver preferred Orton over Campbell.

The Broncos former GM said that the Broncos could have gotten more but that they didn't handle things right and didn't even get back to some teams.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
The Broncos former GM said that the Broncos could have gotten more but that they didn't handle things right and didn't even get back to some teams.

It also depends on how you define "more". The Lions may well have been willing to give up the #1 pick. But no one wants that pick because of the cap hit.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
I think the best part of his game (aside from the cannon arm) is what your sig so beautifully shows off. His mobility will make our O-Line look phenomenal, as well as open up room down the field.

Forte is going to be a freak without 8 men in the box. Likewise, I think Cutler will have more open looks. I can't imagine the Bears picking up Cutler and Pace in the same day and not rectifying the wide receiver corps.

If they really want to piss off the rest of the league, they should go get Boldin. :headbang

I wouldn't give up this years 2nd and next years 2nd for Boldin just because of the financial rammifications and the mistake it would be not having enough high draft picks to fill needs. I'm fine with what we gave up but I think having a guy like Cutler should allow us to be able to find a top flight WR a lot easier (via FA or the draft). If the Bears don't sign someone, they'll use the 2nd round pick on a WR (this is a good draft to have a need at WR in the 2nd round) and than go defense the rest of the draft (with the possible exception of a project olineman being picked).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
I wouldn't give up this years 2nd and next years 2nd for Boldin just because of the financial rammifications and the mistake it would be not having enough high draft picks to fill needs. I'm fine with what we gave up but I think having a guy like Cutler should allow us to be able to find a top flight WR a lot easier (via FA or the draft). If the Bears don't sign someone, they'll use the 2nd round pick on a WR (this is a good draft to have a need at WR in the 2nd round) and than go defense the rest of the draft (with the possible exception of a project olineman being picked).

Good points, JG.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
Bottom line.. (from what I heard from multiple outlets) Denver preferred Orton over Campbell.

This was on the SCORE I posted this a couple of pages back that the old Denver G.M. reported that teams were not even allowed to make an offer and others had what appeared to be better offers. McDaniels wanted Orton over Campbell.

Cutler makes the defense cover 50 years of the field on every play. Orton makes them cover 20. Hester, Olsen and Forte are much better players today than they were yesterday. QB's can make receivers much better than recievers can make QB's better.

Going back to the post about the Bears being in this for a few weeks. The Kevin Jones signing leads me to beleive they were prepared to give up Forte in the deal.

They cant, they don't have the picks to do so.

If I'm not mistaken the Bears still have their 2nd rounder. And what are the Cards asking for Boldin... a 2nd rounder. I think it'll be a mistake to give that up though (esp. seeing Randy Moss was had for a 4th rounder) but if the Bears "wanted to" they could get him. It might be stupid for them to do it, but they "could."