BEARS GET CUTLER!!!

By nature, such assessments are purely subjective, governed by the many variables considered, both individually and as a sum, by the vested parties. But with the Denver Broncos trading quarterback Jay Cutler to Chicago on Thursday, such a deal could be considered among the most significant in NFL history.

Certainly, the trade of Cutler would be among the most notable in the past 20 years.

"I think to call it a once-in-a-lifetime deal is probably [overstatement]," said a personnel man from one of the several franchises that bid for Cutler's services but lost him to the Bears. "But once in a generation? Yeah, probably so. It's tough enough to find a [good] backup quarterback out there. So you can see how rare it is that a guy like Cutler, somebody with his credentials, would be on the market."

NFL.com Video

The Broncos traded Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears.

That's for sure.

In the period 1989-2008, there were 79 trades involving veteran quarterbacks, a surprising average of nearly four per season, according to the NFL Record and Fact book for each year The deals ranged from "A" (A.J. Feeley, twice) to "Z" (Eric Zeier, also twice). In fact, 17 veteran quarterbacks were traded twice each in that span. The 1995 campaign was the only season that did not include a trade involving a veteran quarterback. The incomparable Joe Montana, a Hall of Fame player, was dealt during that time. So was Brett Favre, a sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Fame selection in the future.

But with the combination of age, accomplishment and potential, a quarterback of Cutler's ilk hasn't been available in the past 20 years.

Or maybe ever.

It makes no sense at this point to assign blame for the current ugly situation surrounding the Broncos. With the trade completed, it's up to the pundits to weigh in on whether coach Josh McDaniels or Cutler was more responsible. There is plenty of culpability to be shared by those men and others.

But consider the Cutler résumé: The three-year veteran won't turn 26 until later this month. In his two full seasons as a starter, Cutler has thrown for more than 3,500 yards twice, including 4,500-plus yards last year. Cutler has 45 touchdown passes, including 25 in 2008, in the past two years. And there is no debate -- even among his staunchest critics -- about Cutler's impressive arm strength. His best football is yet to come.

It is rare indeed for a quarterback of Cutler's pedigree to become available in the NFL, especially at his age.

Montana was traded from San Francisco to Kansas City after winning four Super Bowl titles with the 49ers, but he was 36 at the time and nearing the end of his career. Trent Green, who was traded twice this millennium, was 30-plus for each deal. Steve McNair, who went from Tennessee to Baltimore in 2006, was 33 at the time and, although he was a former co-MVP, he had a long list of injuries. Drew Bledsoe was 30 years old when New England shipped him to Buffalo.

In each of those cases, the quarterback was still serviceable but was on the downside of his football career.

Then there were those veteran quarterbacks involved in trades who were at the other end of the spectrum. Favre, for instance, was only 23 when he went from Atlanta to Green Bay in 1992. But at the time of the trade, Favre had zero NFL starts, and had thrown only five passes in the league. Matt Hasselbeck (Green Bay to Seattle in 2001) was only 26 when traded, and Aaron Brooks (Green Bay to New Orleans in 2000) was just 24. But neither Hasselbeck nor Brooks had yet logged his first NFL start, and the two had appeared in just 13 games combined. Matt Schaub (Atlanta to Houston in 2007) was just 26 when the trade was completed but had started only three regular-season games for the Falcons, with one win. There are 16 "modern day" quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame, and nine of them were traded at least once in their respective careers. In most cases, the trades occurred when the quarterbacks were in their football dotage, though.

Montana was 36. The great Johnny Unitas was only a shadow of himself, and about as mobile as a statue, when traded to San Diego in 1973, and he lost his starting job to a rookie named Dan Fouts that year. Joe Namath had only one mediocre season left in him when traded from the Jets to the Rams in 1977. Only Fran Tarkenton (Minnesota to the New York Giants in 1967) and Steve Young (Tampa Bay to San Francisco in 1987) were in their 20-something years, both traded while still in their primes.

From the standpoints of youth, accomplishments in the league and physical potential, perhaps Jeff George (Indianapolis to Atlanta in 1993) is the only quarterback traded at all recently who is comparable to Cutler overall. George was 25 at the time of the trade, had been the Colts' starter for three seasons and, at least physically, was regarded by many scouts as a sky-is-the-limit prospect. And we all know how that turned out.

Despite his obvious problems with temperament, and his distaste for rookie coach McDaniels, Cutler is a tremendous talent. If reports are to be believed, suitors were lined up to get him, and that's hardly surprising. Kudos to Chicago general manager Jerry Angelo for closing the deal.

"Really, you have to pinch yourself because players like that, and particularly at that position, simply aren't on the market," the NFL personnel man said just hours before the trade was completed. "It just doesn't happen in this league." Cutler's detractors emphasize that he is sub-.500 in the only statistic that really matters for a quarterback, wins and losses. In 37 starts, the former Vanderbilt star is 17-20. There are, however, some mitigating circumstances worth noting. For instance, Cutler is 8-1 in games when the Denver defense held opponents to 20 or fewer points. In Cutler's 20 losses, the porous Broncos allowed an average of 32.5 points per game. That's a tough mountain for any quarterback to have to climb.

When it comes to pure numbers, the 1989 trade in which Minnesota acquired tailback Herschel Walker from Dallas, is recognized as the biggest in NFL history. A total of 18 "bodies" (players and draft choices) changed teams between the Cowboys and Vikings in that megadeal. There are five other trades in league history that involved 10 or more bodies. Notably, only one of those deals included a veteran quarterback, and he was a backup.

So in terms of impact and significance, if not raw numbers, the Cutler trade almost certainly ranks among the most notable in NFL history.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)
I don't really know what you're basing this on unless you think nobody else is going to be available and/or they don't have the resources (they have plenty of cap room). The "Angelo never makes moves" thing, which was never true to begin with, kinda got blown out of the water yesterday.

I'm not going off of that. In fact, I haven't really gone with that theory too much after Angelo was hired. Heck, he went out and got Mushin out of nowhere. I did not they would get Cutler though just in terms of packages.

The reason I say I don't think they'll get anyone outside of the draft is because, the draft is loaded with WR's. Iglesias would look mighty nice next to Cutler. Heck, the WR from UNC(not Nicks, the other starter who injured his knee) would look great too. The thing is, I don't think those are guys who are instant impact guys.

Also, from the guys that are available, Boldin wants to go to a contender which the Bears seem to be if they got him. Problem with him, is I don't think the Bears want to give up everything else they have after getting Cutler. What else could they give up? Briggs is too valuable and the Cardinals secondary is much better than the Bears. I guess we could give up Urlacher and our 3rd, I just don't know if Angelo would do that because it opens up a hole at MLB with one less pick to address that.

I don't see Angelo taking a risk on Plaxico for all the reasons he wouldn't with TO. He doesn't want a distraction.

I don't see them getting Holt as it seems he isn't interested in the Bears.

Marvin wouldn't make much of an impact.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)
IIRC Hub isn't even a Bears fan so he doesn't feed you the company line, he'll tell it like it is.

He actually is a Bear fan, but you're right... he doesn't feed the company line. He's very objective in his discussions about players and teams.

In a segment on the SCORE yesterday (I think it's up on their website), he had a great conversation with Dan Hampton and Lawrence Holmes about the Cutler deal before it was announced. He took the counter-position... why it wouldn't be good for the Bears and made some good points... including questioning Cutler's leadership (not his talent). He said, "If you went into the Broncos locker room and asked guys how they really felt about it... fewer of them would be upset about Cutler leaving than you think."

And it was his opinion that Chris Simms would beat out Kyle Orton in an open competition in Denver.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
I'm not going off of that. In fact, I haven't really gone with that theory too much after Angelo was hired. Heck, he went out and got Mushin out of nowhere. I did not they would get Cutler though just in terms of packages.

The reason I say I don't think they'll get anyone outside of the draft is because, the draft is loaded with WR's. Iglesias would look mighty nice next to Cutler. Heck, the WR from UNC(not Nicks, the other starter who injured his knee) would look great too. The thing is, I don't think those are guys who are instant impact guys.

Also, from the guys that are available, Boldin wants to go to a contender which the Bears seem to be if they got him. Problem with him, is I don't think the Bears want to give up everything else they have after getting Cutler. What else could they give up? Briggs is too valuable and the Cardinals secondary is much better than the Bears. I guess we could give up Urlacher and our 3rd, I just don't know if Angelo would do that because it opens up a hole at MLB with one less pick to address that.

I don't see Angelo taking a risk on Plaxico for all the reasons he wouldn't with TO. He doesn't want a distraction.

I don't see them getting Holt as it seems he isn't interested in the Bears.

Marvin wouldn't make much of an impact.

Fair enough, I agree with most of what you say here. I think Jamar Williams would do a decent job replacing Briggs though.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
I would rather have Briggs or Jamar move to the inside to replace Brian if I were a Bears fan.

If you could trade Urlacher for Boldin than I make the deal. Or even Urlacher and one of our Cb's for Boldin I'd do it. Why, the Bears could sign Lucas and than slide Briggs into the MLB spot with Jamar sliding outside or decide to use there 2nd round pick on a LB and there should be a quality LB available in rd 2.

I saw someone say elsewhere that they are unhappy the Bears rolled the dice for a franchise QB and that they should've shored up the defense instead because "that's Bears football." Ugh. No. Is it any coincidence that the year the Bears won the Super Bowl, they had consistent quality QB play, even though they had much of the same D land solid running game ater on? I think not.

Angelo was just on there and said that the Bears next phase will be the wide-out and than defense. But he also has kept talking about oline so you might not right that off in the draft just yet, imo. Angelo is soundling like a confident GM. He also talked about how he had to come in and make a strong offer, otherwise he felt he would get blown off, and as a whole the whole deal took about 30 minutes to be completed.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
What makes this guy a franchise QB?

His numbers so far don't scream "franchise QB" at me. But he's awfully close (they do scream "above average, young longtime starter" at me as is, which some people might think is franchise QB), he's better than anything the Bears have had in 60 years, and I think his best days are still ahead of him, in which he has a very good chance at being a true franchise QB. I think it's fair to point out this trade involved a bit of a case of overpaying, and that it could work out poorly for the Bears, but some people simply don't seem to like this trade or understand why the Bears made it (this is a general observation, not me talking about you BobDylan because I don't know your full opinion of it), and that's a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
His numbers so far don't scream "franchise QB" at me. But he's awfully close (they do scream "above average, young longtime starter" at me as is, which some people might think is franchise QB), he's better than anything the Bears have had in 60 years, and I think his best days are still ahead of him, in which he has a very good chance at being a true franchise QB. I think it's fair to point out this trade involved a bit of a case of overpaying, and that it could work out poorly for the Bears, but some people simply don't seem to like this trade or understand why the Bears made it (this is a general observation, not me talking about you BobDylan because I don't know your full opinion of it), and that's a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

How do we define "Franchise QB" in the first place?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 06:41 PM)

To me, it's a top 5 QB in the league. A guy you can build your "franchise" around, and have a chance to win the Super Bowl every year. although I'm not even sure if that last has 5 guys right now :lol: . Cutler isn't in that group right now, in fact, if Aaron Rodgers can repeat what he did last year, he's just as good as Cutler (sorry, but it's the truth).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

All I know is the Bears were going nowhere before this deal. If you think they were in good shape with their draft picks and Orton at QB, I think you were kidding yourself. Cutler may not lead the Bears to Super Bowl after Super Bowl, but rolling the dice was the right thing to do.

Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo, those guys are franchise QBs. Someone you are pretty sure that year in and year out is going to lead your offense, and you're not thinking about acquiring someone else. Cutler is definitely in that group. We're not necessarily talking about Hall of Famers.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo, those guys are franchise QBs. Someone you are pretty sure that year in and year out is going to lead your offense, and you're not thinking about acquiring someone else. Cutler is definitely in that group. We're not necessarily talking about Hall of Famers.

If we're counting those guys as franchise QB's, then Cutler is definitely. I think it's clear that Manning, Brees, and Brady are currently on another level, then there's a larger second tier consisting of those guys, perhaps with several of them knocking on the door of that top tier.

If you're going with the top 3 as the only franchise QB's in the league, then Cutler isn't, because he's not (yet) at that level (but could be with time; see Brees). If you're going to include even part of the 2nd tier, then he counts.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
I have my doubts that Flacco and Rodgers are franchise QBs.

Eh, IMO they are until it becomes clear they aren't. Ravens fans (I live here) are out of their minds with love for him though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 06:41 PM)

To me, a franchise quarterback is one who you slot in at quarterback, as long as he is healthy, with no concerns for the position, or bringing in anyone else, for as long as he is signed.

He is the leader of the offense and the face of the franchise.

He is, above anything else, any other statistic, a winner.

Think Peyton Manning. Ben Rothlisberger. Brett Favre. Philip Rivers. Drew Brees. Tom Brady.

Whether or not Jay Cutler will ever become that, I'm not sure, but he certainly is at the front of the line of those knocking on the door...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)
To me, a franchise quarterback is one who you slot in at quarterback, as long as he is healthy, with no concerns for the position, or bringing in anyone else, for as long as he is signed.

He is the leader of the offense and the face of the franchise.

He is, above anything else, any other statistic, a winner.

Think Peyton Manning. Ben Rothlisberger. Brett Favre. Philip Rivers. Drew Brees. Tom Brady.

Whether or not Jay Cutler will ever become that, I'm not sure, but he certainly is at the front of the line of those knocking on the door...

IF you say Phillip Rivers you must include Cutler. RIght now, if you are starting an NFL franchise I believe the three guys people start with at the QB position are Jay Cutler, Phillip Rivers, Big Ben, Eli Manning, and Matt Ryan. I'd say that its probably in that exact order as well but that could be debated (i might flip flop Manning and Ryan). The next group of people would be Aaron Rodgers, Cassel, and Flacco). I didn't put Big Ben as high up because I don't think he's that good of a pure passer, although he has super bowl rings so you got to give him credit for that. Either way, Cutler is clearly in that group of potential franchise building guys.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
I can't define it, but, when I think of a franchise QB I think of Tom Brady, Brett Favre, John Elway, etc.

Well, i think you have a point there. To the Bears, this is a franchise QB, because he's by far the best thing we've had since Sid Luckman. He can still grow, but his INTs will probably keep him in that tier just below franchise... ie, 75% of teams would love to have him.

I think we aren't going to lose games because of our QB too many times anymore... and if he DOES take that next step, you've got a franchise QB. Being 25, that next step is definitely a possibility.