BEARS GET ORLANDO PACE!!!

Since I had the torture of watching the rams last year. I'll say, the one thing that impressed me, was in the midst of an AWFUl season for them, Pace comes back before he's ready just to play for the team, (against the dolphins) and actually played a damn good game. He's a MAN, for whatever b****ing cutler will do, pace will make up for it in his humbleness. CLASS ACT

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
He's a much better pass blocker and he's a so-so run blocker.

CW is considered more of a technique blocker. He's not a big brawler type. You want him lined up against quick guys and keeping them away from the QB, not going forwards and opening holes for a RB.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)
CW is considered more of a technique blocker. He's not a big brawler type. You want him lined up against quick guys and keeping them away from the QB, not going forwards and opening holes for a RB.

Right, plus he's pretty athletic and that'd be wasted if he wasn't at LT.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
Does Pace really have 3 years left in him?

3 good years? No. One very good year and one decent year? Yes.

In the NFL, a 3-year deal is probably at best a 2-year deal. That's how it works. This signing was one to simply bridge the gap until we can have some draft picks fill that role... and do not tell me we just traded all our picks, because we still have 8 this year and all but one next year.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
3 good years? No. One very good year and one decent year? Yes.

In the NFL, a 3-year deal is probably at best a 2-year deal. That's how it works. This signing was one to simply bridge the gap until we can have some draft picks fill that role... and do not tell me we just traded all our picks, because we still have 8 this year and all but one next year.

Pace doesn't even have a "very good" year left in him. One or two good/decent years, yes. But he's going on 34 years old, and 34 in O-line years is 95. He's no where near the player he used to be. The Bears replaced Tait with...a new Tait. Which is good, since it negates the loss of Tait, but it doesn't really improve them any.

And no, we didn't trade all of our picks, just the ones that usually mean anything.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 06:47 AM)
Pace doesn't even have a "very good" year left in him. One or two good/decent years, yes. But he's going on 34 years old, and 34 in O-line years is 95. He's no where near the player he used to be. The Bears replaced Tait with...a new Tait. Which is good, since it negates the loss of Tait, but it doesn't really improve them any.

And no, we didn't trade all of our picks, just the ones that usually mean anything.

Except for the Bears, because they manage to f*** up way more 1st rounders than not.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 06:47 AM)

are you kidding me with this? while 34 is not young, if there is one place in football that you see guys playing into their mid to late 30s its o-line...its not nearly the short shelf life position that RB and WR are...its why you see 32 year olds like Faneca get huge multi year deals

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 07:02 AM)
are you kidding me with this? while 34 is not young, if there is one place in football that you see guys playing into their mid to late 30s its o-line...its not nearly the short shelf life position that RB and WR are...its why you see 32 year olds like Faneca get huge multi year deals

No, I'm not kidding you with that. D-Lines were commonly fat and slow until recently, there was a major shift in agility/speed across the board, D-linemen have gotten smaller and faster, so these older O-lines don't cut it anymore. The game changed, but I see you think it hasn't. :P

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 08:05 AM)
No, I'm not kidding you with that. D-Lines were commonly fat and slow until recently, there was a major shift in agility/speed across the board, D-linemen have gotten smaller and faster, so these older O-lines don't cut it anymore. The game changed, but I see you think it hasn't. :P

Pace is not the same player he once was, but we're talking about a future Hall of Famer, possibly first ballot. He's still capable, not dominating, but decent, the Rams just had to move on.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 07:40 AM)
Pace is not the same player he once was, but we're talking about a future Hall of Famer, possibly first ballot. He's still capable, not dominating, but decent, the Rams just had to move on.

Well, I defiantly agree with that. I don't mean to undermine the caliber of player Pace was/is, but he's not nearly on the same level as he once was. I only mentioned this because I think the days of aging O-Linemen is coming to a close due to the shift in how D-Lines are constructed now.