Getaway day...AZ vs. CHISOX (4/4) Garland vs. Count

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
BA and Wise now have the same batting average this spring. I think BA has the higher slugging and OBP, and is the superior defender, so it makes perfect sense Wise gets the job.

duh.

Nice to see Christian Marrero and Salvadore Sanchez play.

They were two of the big stars of the 2007 Great Falls team, along with Retherford, and Poreda.

Marrero has a sweet swing. He'll be at Winston-Salem in 2009. This will be an important year to determine whether he's a prospect or pretender.

His brother is Chris Marrero of the Nationals.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
BA and Wise now have the same batting average this spring. I think BA has the higher slugging and OBP, and is the superior defender, so it makes perfect sense Wise gets the job.

Wise actually has a higher SLG--BA has much higher OBP. It works out to BA having a slightly higher OPS. You would think that the tiebreaker would be BA's 6 outfield assists (he has the most of any outfielder in MLB ST this year). But no--the tiebreaker is Wise's grindiness.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
Beckham will be playing in b ham

No, I meant Escobar will be starting at W-S and Beckham at BIRM, backing him up on the depth chart.

Escobar is far and away our best defensive SS in the system. The only question is his bat at the upper levels...he's obviously aggressive, I think he had 2 steals just today.

Ultimately, in 2011/12, I think it will look something like this...

3B Viciedo

SS Escobar

2B Beckham

1B/DH Fields/Allen

C Flowers

CF Jordan Danks

LF Alexei Ramirez

RF Carlos Quentin

Utility player/s: Shelby, Getz, Lillibridge

That's a MUCH more athletic and defensive-minded team. You could probably pick Shelby over Danks and not go wrong either, except for the fact that Jordan Danks is a much more natural CFer and I see Ramirez being another Soriano in LF, albeit with much better defensive ability at that position and a very strong arm as well.