Sporting News and the Sox

JoeBatterz

I think in the USA Today Baseball Preview, we were picked for 3rd in the division (behind MIN and CLE) and 7th or 8th in the AL.

CLE was 2nd, one spot ahead of us, and Minnesota was 1st, and #5 in the AL, if I can remember correctly.

BTW, if Floyd can get a change-up and slider across the plate with any level of consistency (especially his improved change-up, which was very effective the other day), then it almost won't be fair to opposing batters this season. He might win the Cy Young and not surprise many in baseball, although the prevailing opinion from statistical analysis is that he will regress to a 4.25-4.75 ERA type of pitcher with .500 record ala Javier Vazquez.

I read the rankings...so, let me get this straight. We're going to fall to 19 because Carlos Quentin isn't really THAT good, but Mike Jacobs IS so good (despite his sub 800 OPS) that the Royals will be BETTER than the White Sox? Yeah, that really makes a tremendous amount of sense.

And then they claim Travis Hafner is HEALTHY, but there wasn't ONE shred of evidence that was close to being true based on ST results or simply just looking at his smaller size and swing, which looks way, way off still...silly season is upon us.

Edited by caulfield12

Well, you know Kenny Williams does, whenever he gives an interview with an opposing teams' radio broadcasters, the first thing he'll inevitably do is give the impression MOST expects are picking the White Sox for last and and not 3rd or 4th (and a few 2nds and maybe one who has us repeating).

The guy who wrote that article is an idiot.

The Reds, Royals, and Giants ranked ahead of the WhiteSox?

And his justification in his blip is that he doesn't think Quentin is as good as he showed in 2008. Quentins OPS for 2008 was only 10 points above his minor league average. (His BA and OBP were both 30 points less than his minor league average.)

How about Shin Soo Choo not having an OPS 100 points higher than his minor league average again? And having his BA and OBP exceed his minor league average?

Ditto Denard Span? Etc., etc.

Amazing how sportswriters seem to ignore regression when it comes to the Indians and Twins.

Edited by scenario

Well, I was surprised, frankly, they didn't have Floyd, Danks and Alexei Ramirez all slumping badly and going to Charlotte, along with Josh Fields striking out 175 times and Lillibridge posting the first sub 600 OPS for a player with over 250 at-bats in a season (well, that last one might happen if he doesn't start walking more than once every 100 PA).

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 08:40 AM)
I want the media to think the Sox have no chance. We know better.

Yes. It's all coming together perfectly. The CHIP is firmly planted on the collective shoulder of this team.

We'll show 'em...again, and they'll wonder how their infallible projection systems can be so wrong.

Unlike past years when we were predicted to finish third or worse, I've got no problem with where were being predicted to finish this year. This is a team with a TON of question marks. I personally don't think there's going to be any in between with this team. Will either win the division or finish 4th or last.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
Well, I was surprised, frankly, they didn't have Floyd, Danks and Alexei Ramirez all slumping badly and going to Charlotte, along with Josh Fields striking out 175 times and Lillibridge posting the first sub 600 OPS for a player with over 250 at-bats in a season (well, that last one might happen if he doesn't start walking more than once every 100 PA).

You have to be kidding.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
Im pretty sure that whole post was supposed to be in green. Thats the way I interpreted it

I understood that, it's just that he would be far from the first to post a sub .600 ops in 250 at-bats in a season

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
I understood that, it's just that he would be far from the first to post a sub .600 ops in 250 at-bats in a season

Oh I see what you were saying, misinterpret on my part. carry on

I happen to agree with all the experts after all, if history tells us anything Carl Pavano is awesome and healthy, Hafner is certain to bounce back, and Kerry Wood health is unquestionable. I also love how both are young pitchers (Danks, and Floyd) come into question, when the twins rotation has 5 pitchers with equal upside, but the same damn question marks that should hamper their values. Also, if I have to hear one more article about them "playing baseball the right way" I’m going to do something drastic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
I don't pay any attention to these so called experts. How often have they been correct?

I still loved how in 2005, the only guy who picked the Sox preseason was Rob Neyer. The Sox then surged to the best record in baseball in April, and suddenly Neyer started picking against us.

I was just joking about Lillibridge, I think he's actually closer to 560 for OPS...there probably aren't many who have pulled that off in 250-300 or more AB's.

Taveras would probably be one, or Jerry Owens if he had enough AB's in 2007. It's my REVERSE psychology of demonstrating how/why Lillibridge isn't THAT bad. If Michael Steele can do it, so can I!!!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
I happen to agree with all the experts after all, if history tells us anything Carl Pavano is awesome and healthy, Hafner is certain to bounce back, and Kerry Wood health is unquestionable. I also love how both are young pitchers (Danks, and Floyd) come into question, when the twins rotation has 5 pitchers with equal upside, but the same damn question marks that should hamper their values. Also, if I have to hear one more article about them "playing baseball the right way" I’m going to do something drastic

Wait....are you telling me you don't think the Twins will hit .350 with 2 outs and RISP????!!?! How can they not? Especially with Mauer out, their lineup will be scary

The Twins are the product of their bizarre ballpark. But then, so are the Sox to a large extent. Lots of thumpers for the Cell's launching pad.

Are the Twins really building an outdoor ballpark? It's the dumbest thing they've done in Minnesota since their football team built an indoor field. The Vikings used to rule the NFL Central because frigid field conditions were a huge advantage. They went indoors and largely stunk it up for years. On the flip side, if the Twins move outside, they will no longer be able to get by with a slap hitting no HR lineup. They'll drop down near the Royal's level.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
I was just joking about Lillibridge, I think he's actually closer to 560 for OPS...there probably aren't many who have pulled that off in 250-300 or more AB's.

Taveras would probably be one, or Jerry Owens if he had enough AB's in 2007. It's my REVERSE psychology of demonstrating how/why Lillibridge isn't THAT bad. If Michael Steele can do it, so can I!!!

Andy LaRoche put up a .508 OPS in 252 PA last year and Omar Vizquel finished at .550 in 300 PA. Brent Lillibridge could conceivably be that bad. He's put up a .579 OPS in spring training and in reality he had no business hitting that well given his 1 walk and .364 BABIP. His .638 OPS at AAA and .576 during his short callup last year doesn't instill much confidence either.

For ESPN: Only Chris Singelton and Matthew Berry seem to think we'll win the division. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview09/ne...e=09expertpicks. Gene Woj (A Cubs Fan) picks us as a dark horse team. Everybody else likes the Mauer-less Twins and the Pavano-led Indians. Also, some moron picked a World Series of the Cardinals over the Rays. Really, is their really a chance in hell of that happening? And you all, can feel free and quote the crap out of this post if it actually does, because it ain't going to happen.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....pening-day.html

Phil Rogers has us at #10 going into the season and winning the division (just barely) over the Twins and Indians. Mocks the idea of picking Indians with Pavano has the #3 and two inexperienced/erratic pitchers behind him in the rotation in Reyes and Lewis.

Actually, picking the White Sox between 12-15 in the majors AND for our minor league system are both pretty accurate at this point in time.