Sporting News and the Sox

JoeBatterz

Harold Reynolds picked us on MLB network. Wheee!

I agree it is amusing that the Indians and Twins youth is considered a plus but ours is considered a minus. All of their young pitchers and hitters are predicted to even better but ours are predicted to decline.

Eh...who cares.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
I think Floyd is the best pitcher in our rotation. I love Floyd.

He certainly can be if he eliminates some of the issues he had last year. Scary thing is...I can point at each of the 5 pitchers starting this season for us and say "This guy could have a monster year and be the best guy in our rotation".

Although I love Gavin also for proving me right as one of the only guys who kept saying "Just wait" on Floyd when we got him and 95% of this site seemed to think he'd always suck.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 12:11 AM)
I hope you guys are right about Floyd. But I worry about him a lot more than I do Mark or even John. I'm definitely not one to obsess over stats. But his 2008 screams fluke. I pray to god I'm wrong. Because we've got no chance if he doesn't at least match what he did last year.

Look at his numbers for the second half. He was above 3:1 for his K:BB. Sure, his first half was incredibly flukey, but his second half was legit.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
Look at his numbers for the second half. He was above 3:1 for his K:BB. Sure, his first half was incredibly flukey, but his second half was legit.

His BABIP was .268. That's well below league average. And his G/F and HR ratios are a little troubling for a guy that had average at best K/9. Like I said, I hope I'm worrying over nothing.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
His BABIP was .268. That's well below league average. And his G/F and HR ratios are a little troubling for a guy that had average at best K/9. Like I said, I hope I'm worrying over nothing.

The key for Floyd is getting his curveball working earlier in games. When he did that he was damn near unhittable. That's the pitch that differentiates him from others on the staff.