Minor League Catch-All thread 2009 edition

southsider2k5

QUOTE (baseball17 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
What's going on with charlie leesman? His numbers seem pretty good, I wonder why he hasn't moved to WS

I think he'll be promoted shortly. He might be the best arm in Kanny. Yes, I'd be tempted to put him over Dex Carter although Carter has a really live arm too. Leesman's is just from the left side. Either way both are guys to watch.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 08:29 PM)
I think he'll be promoted shortly. He might be the best arm in Kanny. Yes, I'd be tempted to put him over Dex Carter although Carter has a really live arm too. Leesman's is just from the left side. Either way both are guys to watch.

I agree. Leesman has gained some speed on his fastball and seems to be more confident than he did earlier in the season.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 11:10 PM)
Looks like David Cook has finally been promoted to AAA. http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=449803

Post Brandon Allen Promotions, Demotions

By John Norris

In the wake of the Brandon Allen trade, there have been some promotions and demotions in the system.

The long awaited and long overdue promotion of David Cook to Charlotte has occurred. Unfortunately for Barons fans, this comes at the worst time as Cook was to participate in the Southern League All Star home run derby this Sunday at Rickwood Field. He was also scheduled to start in the All Star game itself...

http://futuresox.com/frontpage/?p=705

Can I just say that Future Sox has shown an incredible upgrade in terms of quality over the last two months. It's hard to believe that the site was pretty much dead just a few months ago. In terms of quality of writing and reporting each and every one of you guys is doing top-flight work.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
Can I just say that Future Sox has shown an incredible upgrade in terms of quality over the last two months. It's hard to believe that the site was pretty much dead just a few months ago. In terms of quality of writing and reporting each and every one of you guys is doing top-flight work.

We have more people than we've had before. It makes a big difference. It also helps that they all do a great job. ;)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 01:12 AM)
Congrats to Jordan Danks!! He's replacing David Cook in the All-Star game. :)

Cook has to be laughing to himself. Gets screwed into another year in AA, becomes and All Star and is in the HR Derby, then finally gets promoted to AAA... just before the All Star Game. :lolhitting

Still though, great news for Danks!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 07:25 AM)
Cook has to be laughing to himself. Gets screwed into another year in AA, becomes and All Star and is in the HR Derby, then finally gets promoted to AAA... just before the All Star Game. :lolhitting

Still though, great news for Danks!

The moment I saw that Brandon Allen had been dealt, I knew Cook was going to get promoted, and at the worst possible time.

Another former Sox prospect on the move.

From Rotoworld:

Royals acquired SS Yuniesky Betancourt from the Mariners for RHP Daniel Cortes and LHP Derrick Saito.

Betancourt had worn out his welcome in Seattle, and will be given the chance to rejuvenate a moribund Kansas City offense. Both Cortes and Saito are non-prospects.

Related: Mariners

Wasn't he on BA's top 100 list this year?

Maybe this was a factor in moving him

QUOTE (CSF @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
Another former Sox prospect on the move.

Maybe this was a factor in moving him

A 22 year old guilty of public intoxication and urination... shocking.

Can I get a quick show of hands on how many guys over 21 who can say they have never done the same thing? (only didn't get caught)

0?

I thought so.

;)

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
It's funny that Cortes was given the pitcher of the year award in the organization and then repeated AA. I wouldn't call him a non-prospect yet, but it looks like the Sox didn't lose much there.

I honestly can't remember when the Sox have been truly burned by trading away one of their minor leaguers. Young has been a bust pretty much with Arizona minus his rookie year. Reed never hit well enough in the majors and Olivo struggled for awhile. I think those were the biggest prospects we traded until Sweeney, Gio and De Los Santos. Neither of them have burned us so far even though we traded Swish a year later. One thing the Sox do extremely well is evaluating their own minor league talent; they know who should be traded to maximize their value and who should be kept. I actually think they are the best organization in self-evaluating. I only wish they could evaluate draft talent as well they evaluate their own.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)
It's funny that Cortes was given the pitcher of the year award in the organization and then repeated AA. I wouldn't call him a non-prospect yet, but it looks like the Sox didn't lose much there.

I knew he was having a bad year but I didn't realise his numbers were this bad. 50BB/57K in 80 IP, that's awful. His batted ball rates are pretty good though.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
I honestly can't remember when the Sox have been truly burned by trading away one of their minor leaguers. Young has been a bust pretty much with Arizona minus his rookie year. Reed never hit well enough in the majors and Olivo struggled for awhile. I think those were the biggest prospects we traded until Sweeney, Gio and De Los Santos. Neither of them have burned us so far even though we traded Swish a year later. One thing the Sox do extremely well is evaluating their own minor league talent; they know who should be traded to maximize their value and who should be kept. I actually think they are the best organization in self-evaluating. I only wish they could evaluate draft talent as well they evaluate their own.

at the same time, when has a prospect come up with the Sox themselves during that same time period and produced great results?