Minor League Catch-All thread 2009 edition

southsider2k5

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 08:26 AM)
I think it comes after being a six year minor leaguer, correct?

I think its more complicated - I think there is an age factor there too, but I don't know what it is.

Guys in the Sox system with 6 minor league seasons in, that I can find...

Cole Armstrong

Josh Kroeger

Andy Cannizaro

Donny Lucy

David Cook

Wes Whisler

Carlos Torres

Lucas Harrell*** (due to missing time to injury, I am not sure he falls in here)

Ehren Wassermann

Fernando Hernandez

So those would be the ones we need to fish or cut bait on.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)
Somewhat old news, but MLB is making a junior AFL type league. Sounds like it will happen in 2010 if they can finalize the details in time. This year 8 teams have put together an informal version, the White Sox are one. Here is a video explaining the situation.

This is because they got rid of Hawaii Ball, correct?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 11:05 PM)
Somewhat old news, but MLB is making a junior AFL type league. Sounds like it will happen in 2010 if they can finalize the details in time. This year 8 teams have put together an informal version, the White Sox are one. Here is a video explaining the situation.

I can't watch the video here... what Sox prospects are in it?

I stumbled upon an old BA article (well a month old) for subscribers talking about a virtual AA championship between the Barons and the Akron Aeros. Those with a subscription can check it out here. Basically, the Barons media relations guy was tracking best records in the minors and realized it was the Barons and Akros for a while as the top 2. Through whatifsports.com they had a virtual best of 7 series. The rosters were any player other than rehabs that played for the team at any part of the season. If you search barons on whatifsports.com you will find the box score and PBP for the whole series. It's a neat idea. For a spoiler, the Barons win in 7 and Dan Hudson takes a no-hitter into the 9th, losing it on a groundball with one out.

From Baseball America, does this mean that Harrell, Link, Marquez, Santeliz, Armstrong and Viciedo cannot be exposed to the Rule V draft? Not sure, especially with Viciedo, but he might be in a different circumstance.

Chicago White Sox

Signed: RHP Jacob Marceaux (re-signed), LHP Wander Perez (re-signed)

Granted free agency: 1B Wilson Betemit

Recalled: RHP Lucas Harrell, RHP Jon Link, RHP Jeff Marquez, RHP Clevelan Santeliz, C Cole Armstrong, 3B Dayan Viciedo

Outrighted to Triple-A and removed from 40-man: OF Dewayne Wise

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
From Baseball America, does this mean that Harrell, Link, Marquez, Santeliz, Armstrong and Viciedo cannot be exposed to the Rule V draft? Not sure, especially with Viciedo, but he might be in a different circumstance.

Chicago White Sox

Signed: RHP Jacob Marceaux (re-signed), LHP Wander Perez (re-signed)

Granted free agency: 1B Wilson Betemit

Recalled: RHP Lucas Harrell, RHP Jon Link, RHP Jeff Marquez, RHP Clevelan Santeliz, C Cole Armstrong, 3B Dayan Viciedo

Outrighted to Triple-A and removed from 40-man: OF Dewayne Wise

The players you mentioned are all on the 40-man roster. Being on the 40 protects players from the Rule-5.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Not sure about the headline saying Thompson is on the fast track to the majors, but whatever.

I'm not too sure about Thompson getting fast tracked to the majors. I watched him the last couple weeks in Great Falls this year and he didn't look very settled in the outfield and pretty timid at the plate. Granted, he was fresh out of high school and probably still wide eyed after only a month in the minors. Rumors I heard around Great Falls at the end of the season was that he was probably coming back to Great Falls to be the starting center fielder next year. That would be a good move for him, get him settled into one location for a couple months and see how he does, heck he's only 19, he'll be fun to watch next year.

QUOTE (gfbaseball @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
I'm not too sure about Thompson getting fast tracked to the majors. I watched him the last couple weeks in Great Falls this year and he didn't look very settled in the outfield and pretty timid at the plate. Granted, he was fresh out of high school and probably still wide eyed after only a month in the minors. Rumors I heard around Great Falls at the end of the season was that he was probably coming back to Great Falls to be the starting center fielder next year. That would be a good move for him, get him settled into one location for a couple months and see how he does, heck he's only 19, he'll be fun to watch next year.

Welcome to the board and thanks for your input.

:cheers