Amidst opening day fervor

Princess Dye

Some have complained that Kenny has failed to get the part needed, but it sounds like to me he is as frustratated as anyone that we have to start with Wise in CF. I think the options out there are too costly, or are not that much of an upgrade anyway. He was probably hoping for an in house solution (Lillibridge), but that never came to fruition.

Getz is not a leadoff hitter, he is a prototypical #2. Alexei isn't leadoff material either. Nor Brian Anderson. Jerry Owens was jettisoned to the softball beer leagues leaving us with DeWayne Wise.

I think Kenny knows a real legit leadoff hitter who could hit you .280/.380+ with 25+ steal potential makes this team all the more dangerous and don't think he hasn't tried to right that ship. Be patient...I have a feeling Kenny will get the right guy to fill that spot sooner rather than later...Wise is going to be too much to overcome.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
Getz is not a leadoff hitter, he is a prototypical #2.

What does that mean... really?

We could go through the whole list of leadoff men and #2 hitters in MLB... and how many of them are prototypical?

The job is relatively simple. Get on base. Be a decent baserunner. Do a good job at those two tasks and nothing else matters... for a #1 or #2.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
What does that mean... really?

We could go through the whole list of leadoff men and #2 hitters in MLB... and how many of them are prototypical?

The job is relatively simple. Get on base. Be a decent baserunner. Do a good job at those two tasks and nothing else matters... for a #1 or #2.

You have to be able to hit behind the baserunner and get guys over, you have to be able to take pitches and work the count, you have to be able to do the hit and run, you have to be able to bunt. There's a lot to hitting 1/2.

Some have complained that Kenny has failed to get the part needed, but it sounds like to me he is as frustratated as anyone that we have to start with Wise in CF. I think the options out there are too costly, or are not that much of an upgrade anyway. He was probably hoping for an in house solution (Lillibridge), but that never came to fruition.

Getz is not a leadoff hitter, he is a prototypical #2. Alexei isn't leadoff material either. Nor Brian Anderson. Jerry Owens was jettisoned to the softball beer leagues leaving us with DeWayne Wise.

I think Kenny knows a real legit leadoff hitter who could hit you .280/.380+ with 25+ steal potential makes this team all the more dangerous and don't think he hasn't tried to right that ship. Be patient...I have a feeling Kenny will get the right guy to fill that spot sooner rather than later...Wise is going to be too much to overcome.

Well, then the Royals have the two perfect ones going by that description in DeJesus and Crisp.

I still have no idea why we didn't go after CoCo...he'll give you a 350 OPB or so and not hurt you offensively or defensively. I think he would actually be almost the perfect fit for this team (I know that ship has already sailed) and it's just aggravating we didn't make an offer.

I can see not spending that money on Taveras...by the way, Homer Bailey is back down in the minors, I wonder if we could still make the Dye for Bailey/Dickerson trade with Jocketty?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)
I can see not spending that money on Taveras...by the way, Homer Bailey is back down in the minors, I wonder if we could still make the Dye for Bailey/Dickerson trade with Jocketty?
Why? Did Bailey have a bad spring?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
Well, then the Royals have the two perfect ones going by that description in DeJesus and Crisp.

I still have no idea why we didn't go after CoCo...he'll give you a 350 OPB or so and not hurt you offensively or defensively. I think he would actually be almost the perfect fit for this team (I know that ship has already sailed) and it's just aggravating we didn't make an offer.

They traded a pretty good 8th inning guy in Ramirez to get Coco. After 1 game that's not lookin so hot.

Yeah, but a proven/veteran player who will get you 20-25 steals, hit .280, not be a statue defensively and who will give you a 340-360 OBP would look VERY VERY nice now, wouldn't it???

I don't see how you can compare Crisp to Wise, or even Taveras to Wise, or Baldelli to Wise...or anyone besides David Cook/Negron to Wise, and that might be insulting to David Cook or Miguel Negron.

Fine, he can't get a prototypical leadoff guy. That's still no excuse for putting Dewayne Wise, he the 31 year old with a .214 career batting average and a .254 career OBP, in the leadoff spot. There is no excuse for it. None. Its beyond stupid and ridiculous.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
Fine, he can't get a prototypical leadoff guy. That's still no excuse for putting Dewayne Wise, he the 31 year old with a .214 career batting average and a .254 career OBP, in the leadoff spot. There is no excuse for it. None. Its beyond stupid and ridiculous.

I agree 100%.........ticket prices went up 11% again this year, the excuses for KW are a joke to me when it comes to getting a decent leadoff guy!

Edited by Soxfest